Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 1:25:07 AM EDT
I'm asking for a reason that some of you might find my issue strange. Regardless of that, I'd still like to know.

I have a new Bushmaster AR rifle that I purchased a couple weeks ago. Since that time, I've fired maybe 300rds through it total. Out of those 300rds, I've had about 3 malfunctions that were all exactly the same.

Here's what happens:
When the bolt carrier comes forward after a round extracted, it stops right after it catches the cartidge and sticks. Upon close inspection, I notice that the nose of the bullets is caught on the feed ramp. I'm wondering what the culprit can be, if not just the novis user.

The gun is stock. It is completely clean internally and I use a thin layer of CLP  in all the places suggested by the cleaning/lubing instructions I read. The ammo I use is Winchester 5.56mm white box and Winchester .223 40rd value pack. It has happened with both kids of ammo. The only magazine I own right now is the original Bushmaster mag with the green follower. I have not lubed the inside of the magazine one time because that idea just doesn't sit well with me.  I have 6 mags on order with the Magpal follower hoping that will fix the problem.

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be helpful to this newbie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:39:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It could be the magazine you have or your mag catch isn't adjusted properly.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
First question: This isn't a Carbon-15 is it? If yes, then this issue is not news to me.

If you have a regular aluminium receiver, then there are a few possibilities for the behavior. I have had the same thing happen with a bad magazine. If the new mags do not correct the problem, try changing the buffer spring, yours might be faulty. It is also possible that you have an upper receiver with M4 feed ramp cuts, but the barrel extension is the regular type. In this case there would be a small notch under each feed ramp below the barrel extension, and the bullet noses could get caught there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
First question: This isn't a Carbon-15 is it? If yes, then this issue is not news to me.

If you have a regular aluminium receiver, then there are a few possibilities for the behavior. I have had the same thing happen with a bad magazine. If the new mags do not correct the problem, try changing the buffer spring, yours might be faulty. It is also possible that you have an upper receiver with M4 feed ramp cuts, but the barrel extension is the regular type. In this case there would be a small notch under each feed ramp below the barrel extension, and the bullet noses could get caught there.

I wasn't aware that Bushmaster made an upper with M4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Bushmaster V.S. That will do the same thing with the factory mag.  I have never had a problem with the other USGI mags I have.  Buy some good mags and your problem will be solved.  I have always thought that my ARs without feed ramps were a little more mag picky. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only magazine I own right now is the original Bushmaster mag with the green follower.

What are your thoughts? .

Quoted:
I have a Bushmaster V.S. That will do the same thing with the factory mag.  I have never had a problem with the other USGI mags I have.  Buy some good mags and your problem will be solved.  

The only feed problem I have ever experienced with my Bushmaster is with the factory mag.  Absolute junk in my book.  Even my beat up GI mags perform better.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top