Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:19:04 AM EDT
Ok, I'm just a citizen, not LEO or anything, and ignorant about this.  Can anyone shed some light?:

If I get a 14.5" threaded barrel and attach any muzzle device that brings the barrel to 16", I'm good to go (legally)?  Does it matter being a SBR w/threaded barrel + muzzle device, or does it have to be a pinned/perm attached muzzle device?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Has to be PERMENANTLY attached-----otherwise a big NO NO without the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Even after the ban?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even after the ban?

The ban has NOTHING to do with barrel length.  Having a rifle barrel less than 16" it would be considered an NFA item and have to be registered as a Short Barrel Rifle.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]

So I guess if I decide to acquire the barrel, I need to think long and hard about what muzzle device I get attached because it will have to be permanent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It can always be pulled off, but it isn't something that is done quickly unless you do a lot of silver solder work in your garage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]

So would it be illegal to have in my possession during the process of permanently afixing the muzzle device?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Only if it was attached to the rifle during the attachment of the flash hider.  The barrel by itself is innocuous.  But I am getting a 16"threaded barrel so I dont have to jack with any of that BS, and get a little more muzzle velocity too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

So would it be illegal to have in my possession during the process of permanently afixing the muzzle device?

Why not have the retailer you're buying the barrel from install the muzzle device of your choice before you take delivery?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not have the retailer you're buying the barrel from install the muzzle device of your choice before you take delivery?

Because it won't be coming from a dealer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top