Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 3:43:37 PM EDT
Just wondering if its a good idea of upgrade chargining handles ?  The DPMS one is somwhat wobbly in a sense.  

I would like to buy something more beefy.  Any reccomendations would be appreciated
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
By wobbly, do you mean loose? or do you mean the metal flexes when you remove it and try to twist it.  If it's inserted and you have the bolt locked to the rear, there will be some play (this is normal).  If you have it removed, and you can twist it with your hands (not using much force), then you should send it back to be replaced.  

Good makers:

RRA
Colt
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say there isn't much difference (there are always lemons however) until you get into the PRI gas buster ($80 not needed unless running a suppressor)
some looseness is normal when the charging handle is not locked forward
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The Armalite charging handle is a little thicker than others.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just wondering if its a good idea of upgrade chargining handles ?  The DPMS one is somwhat wobbly in a sense.  

I would like to buy something more beefy.  Any reccomendations would be appreciated

I have DPMS, it wobbles when its open, no big deal. They all do that. But all the ARs have flimsy charging handles. Its thin aluminum, it will flex. I had a discussion with somebody about this last week here. It can get bent, but you have to be an idiot to manage that. Miculek(?) makes a steel charging handle that is much tougher than the aluminum. Not really needed, unless you are one of the idiots that pulls up on your charging handle instead of straight back.

I'll post back here when I find the link for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres a link for the steel charging handle. It was designed by Miculek, made by DPMS. I dont know if they are still making it, its not on DPMS's site.

www.stubbygear.com/product.asp?productid=40772
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys, you guys are great !!!!  

I'm just curious if they had made the tolerances tighter so when its back, there was less wobble.  

Maybe I'll go machine something out and give it a try.  

Any reccomendations on latches ?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard that if you use an extended charging handle you are much more likely to bend the thin aluminum one.  Typically has to do with using the hand to "knife" the charging handle instead of using the bolt release.  I don't run an extended latch yet so I can't comment any further.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, the DPMS handles are thinner in dimension than the Colt.  Can't speak for other brands 'cause don't have any.

The DPMS uppers that copy the Canadian C7s apparently came out undersized internally, because everyone I've seen has been remachined in the carrier tube area.

The thing is, they didn't open up the channel for the charging handles, and a Colt handle won't fit in it  The DPMS handles fit just fine, as another member found out recently, and I found out a couple of years back.

So my C7 clone has a DPMS handle.  All the others take the Colt pieces just fine
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top