Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2003 7:28:28 AM EDT
I have an upper and barrel I want to put together but have some questions. What do i need besides a barrel wrench. How do I determine proper torque? Any advice or hints.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
you need a upper receiver block, a vice and a torque wrench.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
There is MUCH debate about whether or not you need to torque the barrel...I won't go into it, just do some research...but I didn't torque the two I re-installed.  Both barrels are still tight, and the rifles both shoot straight.  

I'll assume you have the delta ring, spring and retaining clip...or that you're using a float tube.  

A receiver block is a MUST have if you don't want to ruin your receiver...ask me how I know [:D]  A good heavy vise is nice, but I used the weeny vise I have, and I was still able to do it with no trouble.  You'll want to use some anti-seize/barrel paste...but other than that, nothing special is needed.  I've got the clamp around block, but I've heard really good things about the white delrin one that Brownell's and some other places sell.  

Should you choose not to torque your barrel, the usual method is to hand tighten the nut 'til the gas tube lines up with a hole, then crank it down to the next hole with the barrel wrench (not with the gas tube in it lol).  At that point, it should be more than snug enough to do what you need it to do.  A_Free_Man has written a whole lot about this subject, as have others.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top