Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 6:24:22 AM EDT
I saw an ad in the Shotgun News regarding Joeken lowers that are "polymer" . Has anyone used them? Know anything about them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a search on "Carbon fiber", "Carbon aramid", "Hesse" or "Vulcan".

I recently bought a Vulcan Carbon Aramid upper and lower. I put the lower together and tested it on a standard upper assembly and it works fine....haven't shot it much, and haven't finished the upper build due to lack of funds. I think they seem pretty nice and so-far, I would buy one again.

Hesse and Vulcan have a bad rep, but it seems that the poly uppers and lowers are about the only product that people have liked so far.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The other type of polymer lower would be the CavArms lowers.  I believe they are being sold through Armalite now.

I don't know about the quality of the others, but CavArms lowers have a VERY good reputation here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a stripped Cav Arms MkII polymer lower receiver.  I also bought the Armalite/Eagle parts kit for the build.  The parts kit was $65.00 because it includes a carbine buffer and recoil spring.  The build was easy.  Took about 40 minutes.  Alot of that time was spent degreasing and relubing the parts.  I got way more than my fair share of packing oil with the parts kit.

As a result of obtaining this receiver I now have 14.5 (16 with comp) flat top that  weighs a little over 6 lbs. with an Eotech mounted.  Its fun to hand the gun to people and here them say, "Hey, this thing is light.  Of course. a loaded 30 rd. magazine makes it even heavier.  Another advantage is that this lower is not finicky about what upper gets put on it, unlike my RRA lower that will not take a BM upper.

An upper is mounted onto the Cav Arms polymer lower receiver using pins that have built in detents.  In some uppers, the pins (with built-in detents) go right in and out.  However, a little a punch help is needed on some uppers to remove the pins but they can still be pushed in by hand.   None of my uppers rattle or move in this polymer receiver.  All of my magazines do rattle in the oversized mag well of the Cav Arms polymer lower but that is something I do not care about.  I put a Hogue Handall on the grip, which fit perfectly, to deal with my sweaty hands problem.  I am at about 1100 rounds and nothing has broken, which I am usually pretty good at doing.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My Build

Shot it thursday at the range and i like it. Alittle different but i like it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top