Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2004 11:11:52 PM EDT
I'm new to reloading .223 cartridges and I'm looking for a cheap plinking bullet.  I saw this Winchester bullet at Midway.com which they sell for $33.00 a thousand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/221585

Does anyone know if this is the same bullet Winchester use in their Q3131 or Q3131A?  Just wondering if this bullet would fragment if loaded with M193 loads.

Also is it safe to use commercial brass with M193 loads?  Somebody have told me that commercial brass has a thinner wall than military brass.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]

[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/221585[/url]

[img]http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=221585[/img]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
All I can say is it looks like the Q3131A bullet.

Hell, if the price is right and your going to use it for plinking I say go for it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the picture and link M4_Aiming_at_U.  That makes it a lot easier to describe the bullet I'm talking about.  The price is surely right for me but I was just wondering if I could use this for SHTF ammo too.  I have about 1,000 of XM193 for SHTF but I was planning to get more.  Hoping to save some money by making my own.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the picture and link M4_Aiming_at_U.  That makes it a lot easier to describe the bullet I'm talking about.  The price is surely right for me but I was just wondering if I could use this for SHTF ammo too.  I have about 1,000 of XM193 for SHTF but I was planning to get more.  Hoping to save some money by making my own.
View Quote

You're not going to save a bunch of money reloading 5.56.  You can tailor some pretty accurate plinking ammo, but your cost of materials will be just about what you would pay for surplus.  Having said that, I reload this cartridge.  I just like to reload and winter time here in the PNW gives me lots of "inside' time.

Commercial brass cases are fine for reloading.  I have heard that Federal commercial cases are a little thin, but if your loads are in the 223 neighborhood they hold up pretty well from my experience.

Hoppy  
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#5]
YOu may want to look at the bullets that Black Hills is putting in their 68 & 75gr OTM loads.

I have lot's of Q3131A for SHTF use, but I'm now switching over to the superior performance of the Black Hills loads.  

Check out the ammo forum for why these are so much better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Everybody is saying the Q3131A ammo is manufactured by IMI in Israel, in that situation it would have IMI bullets.

[url]http://www.wideners.com/cart.asp?Action=Details&item=IMI22FMJ55[/url]

Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for your info and tips.  Learned a lot today from all of you.  It's nice to know that this are Lake City Bullets that are actually used in Q3131 and XM193. Just got some 3,000 bullets last week in the mail.  I also got 2 8lb wc844 from Wideners when they still got it for $49.00 for 8 lb about 5 months ago.  I'm ready to load with all the info I got from all of you and make about 1000 temporary SHTF ammo till I get enough money to buy about another 2,000 Q3131A or XM193 for my future supply. Time to break out my chronograph and make some XM193 loads. I know I won't really save a lot of money by making my own ammo with the cost of materials plus all the work I have to do but I might as well make a dual purpose ammo for plinking and SHTF. I really enjoy reloading and don't mind seating on my reloading table for hours so this is something I would enjoy doing. Sometime in the future I'll try those ammo by Black Hills .  I saw some good reviews about them too.  Again, thanks everybody and Troy, your the man. Thank you sir.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top