Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:44:08 PM EDT
Question #1. Does the large end of the extractor spring go against the bolt or the extractor?

Question #2. Does the head of the rubber insert go against the bolt or the extractor?

I've gotten conflicting info on this and would like to know for certain.

T.I.A. Bill.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Whaddup Crew?..Nobody can answer these ?'s
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The big end of both go in the recessed portion of the extractor. Yes it is hard to get them in sometimes. I twist/turn  the spring in the direction the would make the coil get smaller and push down to get them in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The large end of the extractor spring snaps into the extractor.

j3_ beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys...and sorry for such a stupid question but I more recently had an upscale ar joint tell me otherwise...which left me momentarily departed from common damn sense....anyways..good deal as that's the way I re-assy'ed it...thanks for the confidence booster.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The above is absolutely correct re the big end of the spring.  For the insert, I've found that it really doesn't matter.  The little collar gets squished down to the diameter of the rest of the thing within a few rounds anyway. My hunch is that they only built the thing that way so you could push the insert up into the spring and the collar would hold it in place while you put the assembly into the extractor itself.

Whatever the reason for the collar on the insert, my experience is that either way works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The larger portion of the insert goes on the bottom under the spring so that it  does not fall out when cleaning. Keeps you from have to keep track of a small easily lost piece. The spring is smaller above the bottom coil so even if the insert  is not captured by the bottom coil its collar flares out between the spring coils to keep it from falling out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
You will usually hear it snap, or pop into place when it goes in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You will usually hear it snap, or pop into place when it goes in.

Yeah Stickman...it popped in there just fine...and the lesson learned here is...I hafta stop listening to custom shop folks on the phone who had advised me otherwise.

Thanks again Folks and L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you going to get a chance to shoot that pig any time soon?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are you going to get a chance to shoot that pig any time soon?

I'm almost afraid to...cause if it doesn't work this time I might wind up wrapping it around the nearest tree....and actually...I've been avoiding weekend shooting cause of the crowd...but maybe that's when I should go...as I'd be less inclined to wrap it around a tree in front of a crowd. LOL!!!!

Maybe I will shoot on up to the range tomorrow morning.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top