Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 12:09:24 AM EDT
Is it a better idea to use a Ciener conversion kit or go straight to a .22LR upper?  I saw an older Ciener kit today.  Has Ciener changed its design over the years?  Are the current one better than the old ones, say, from 5 yrs ago?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do both.

Keuhl will use your Ceiner to make an upper, as well as do any polish work on the unit to optimize it for their kit.

Ceiner is a good product, but it may have teething pains.  Mine worked for the first magazine or two and then developed a nasty tendency to stovepipe.  The feed lips must be to spec, and all burrs and rough spots on the extractor and feed ramp must be taken care of for it to work reliably.

I used info from the following sites to take care of the problems I've had:

Triple break Ceiner fixes

Fun Supply Ceiner fixes

Hope this helps,

Michael
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll recommend the Kuehl or other true 22lr upper.

One of the fundamental problems with the Ciener is that it uses a smoothbore chamber adapter for an oversized barrel.  This prevents a good gas seal, and thus he does not guarantee his units will work will anything but high velocity ammo.  Accuracy may be another issue, which I won't address here.

A true 22lr barrel improves the seal, and with a little polishing of the unit, sub-sonic operation is not an issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have an old 1:12 barrel, you might be able to get acceptable accuracy out of the conversion unit. My opinion is that trying to "convert" a 1:9 or faster barrel is an exercise in disappointment. You'll be much happier stepping right up to either the CZ or DPMS uppers.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top