Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2005 1:16:59 PM EDT
i tried looking but my question specifically is this.. i notice there are 20rnd straight bodies and 20rnd curved bodies.. is there an advantage to one or the other and why have they started to do this..?    thanks in advance for any help..
MicronuT
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been discussed elsewhere...to boil it down 1) there is NO advantage to curving a 20 and 2) the general concensus seems to be that curved 20s are easier to produce because the same tooling that can make a 30 can make an "abbreviated" magazine (20 rounder). Me personally I do not like curved 20s...just look wierd. 20s as they were meant to be appeal to me...FWIW
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I like straight. the straights are aesthetically nicer looking and I buy into the straight mags feed more reliably (if capacity isn't overdone) than curved.I also prefer the aluminum follower, which is the most durable and probably the most reliable of all designs.  As for "Why" they were made, I'm sure someone had the equipment to turn out 30s, and cutting a fabricated 30 down  to a 20 from pre-existing equipment is cheaper than seperately buying the necessary equipment to produce straight 20s.

My position is that straight 20s were the INTENDED mag for the M-16 and 30s were the INTENDED improvement. No such luck on the curved 20s.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the replies, just seems a little weird that they would make the curved 20's.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The curved 20's can actually fit 20 rounds, I think the straights can only fit 18.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 20rd's loaded up in my colt 20's , and they function fine .
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The curved 20's can actually fit 20 rounds, I think the straights can only fit 18.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownell's say theirs are curved so the green followers work correctly, I don't know if it makes a difference.  I have 2 of their curved 20's and they work great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

18 rounds as a max capacity or a max "suggested" capacity is UTTER BULLSHIT.

If you want to download your mags by a round or two for tactical reloads, then by all means, do so. Regardless, any quality mag (which includes 98.7% of USGI mags) will have ZERO problem loading to its full INTENDED capacity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay guys dont gangbang me now its been a while since I owned a straight 20.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Brownell's say theirs are curved so the green followers work correctly, I don't know if it makes a difference.  I have 2 of their curved 20's and they work great.

They are to be congratulated...since they came up with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Straight 20s do not have green followers! The black or alloy followers in the straight-body USGI 20s work as advertised, at least that's been my experience...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 10 D&H curved 20's and never had a problem. The curve matches the natural curve of 20 rnds. stacked on top of each other due to the taper of the cases. The straight 20's wewere issued in the service were always double feeding. Use what works over what looks good or some sentimental horse shit about what they originaly came out with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have 10 D&H curved 20's and never had a problem.

The curve matches the natural curve of 20 rnds.stacked on top of each other due to the taper of the cases.  
So what? Oh yeah...40 years later some genius picks up something Eugene Stoner missed...

The straight 20's wewere issued in the service were always double feeding.
Cite credible sources or keep the regurgitated heresay to yourself.

Use what works over what looks good or some sentimental horse shit about what they originaly came out with

Again, brownells and everyone else who thinks curved 20s are "en vogue" are fixing things that ain't broke. Sentimental? now THAT'S a load of horse-shit. All my straight 20s WORK. Thanks - more for me.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have 10 D&H curved 20's and never had a problem. The curve matches the natural curve of 20 rnds. stacked on top of each other due to the taper of the cases. The straight 20's wewere issued in the service were always double feeding. Use what works over what looks good or some sentimental horse shit about what they originaly came out with.

Hey HP40, I HIGHLY doubt that D&H went with the curved 20's because the straight's weren't reliable.

USGI 20's (or NHMTG 20's with aluminum followers) are known to be some of the most reliable 20's out there.

Here'sa pic of a Bushy (D&H) 30 and 20rder that will pretty much point out WHY the curved 20's exist at all.

EASE OF MANUFACTURE!!!

That's all I have to say on the subject.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Really?  They were always double feeding?  That is quite interesting..

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The D&H mags are curved because 1) you can use superior green followers over black and 2) existing 30rd tooling can be used.  Its followers and money, SIMPLE.  Curved and straight are just as reliable
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The D&H mags are curved because 1) you can use superior green followers over black and 2) existing 30rd tooling can be used.  Its followers and money, SIMPLE.  Curved and straight are just as reliable

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
If you like Magpul Ranger plates they work well on the curved 20s.  And if you really want to play you can cut about 1/8 of an inch off of the legs of a Magpull follower (plenty of room for the spring as it fits a 30 rnd spring), and you can get 21 roungs in it (foolish) or easily insert the mag with a closed bolt and 20 roinds in it.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top