Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2004 8:22:49 PM EDT
Sorry if this has been covered before ...

With the Sunset ban gone, can I buy LEO/MIL Colt AR? I couldn't find anything on their website and really didn't run into anything here either. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place ...

I'd like to pickup another AR, preferably a LEO model. If so, what prices can I expect?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, its legal. Colt is trying to keep them out of civilian hands though. Expect to pay $1000-$1300 for a Colt LE model.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
"Colt is trying to keep them out of civilian hands though" ... that would explain why there's nothing on their website about the Sunset.  Do you have any supporting facts that show Colt's position on this? I'd really like to read more.

$1000 isn't bad (in my opinion), compared to the prices we had to pay before the ban. $1200 for a blue label Sporter & another $900 for a M4 upper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"Colt is trying to keep them out of civilian hands though" ... that would explain why there's nothing on their website about the Sunset.  Do you have any supporting facts that show Colt's position on this? I'd really like to read more.

$1000 isn't bad (in my opinion), compared to the prices we had to pay before the ban. $1200 for a blue label Sporter & another $900 for a M4 upper.

Call Colt's customer service number and get the answer right from them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the dealers that post regularly here, Jim I believe is his name, talked with Colt not long after the sunset and they basically said they where not supporting selling LE models to civilians and from what he said, they where going to “keep an eye” out for their distributors doing so.

There’s a thread here somewhere that has all the details, but I’m new here and still learning the boards, maybe one of the vets of ARF.COM can post it for ya.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Can someone point me to the origianl post, I'd like to take a look. I wonder why Colt has taken this position?

I've met Ken from SAW when I lived in Phoenix.  He's a prety cool guy but it looks like his prices have been inflated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's what happened to me, if it's any help.

I live in Kenosha WI, near Jalensky's Sport & Marine which is a pretty excellent place to go for firearms and has a *very* knowledgable staff.  I called last Sunday and asked about acquiring a Colt LE6920 (the Law Enforcement M4) and their firearms "guru" said he'd get right on it Monday morning.

Monday afternoon he called me and we was very non-plussed.  "I can't get that weapon", he said, "I called my distributors and Colt themselves and I was told they are not selling those rifles at the present time."  He asked when they would be and was given a total "don't call us, we'll call you" response.

Yes, there are some dealers out there who seem to know how to get these rifles so if you find one don't wait, get in line and hope.

That's my advice, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not waste my time and money getting the Colt. Go with a Bushmaster, DPMS, or Rock River Arms. I have a couple of Colts which I love but I won't be buying anymore Colt products because of their new policy about selling their pre ban rifles to civillians. I getting a DPMS 20" A3 and a DPMS 16" A3 Carbine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Yet again, this is all second hand information and everyone jumps Colts ass based on "what they heard" on the internet. What I heard from Colt customer service when I called was that they were at manufacturing capacity right now fulfilling Government contracts. I mean really, do you think Colt, who was damn near bankruptcy a few years ago, is going to "pass" on selling a shitload of AR-15s? Would you rather them send a couple to you instead of the soldiers and LEOs in the field? Thats what I thought.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if they are out or not, but SAW has always treated me right.  There seems to be some bad history with them, but I have always found they treat me like a king because I treat them the same way.

Observe the golden rule and you will find it to be reciprocal.

They are knowledgeable and know their stuff- if you know what you want before you call they will bend over backwards for you.  I can see however if you hem and haw they will not be interested in wasting time.  Yes- I know, a customer is not "a waste", however there are boatloads of folks who want the merchandise, want to pay for it on the first call, want to get it, and don't wan't any shenanegans.  There are certainly other nice rifles out there, but if Colt makes you happy call them and get one.  I did and have recieved them-

absolutely flawless.

What is the price of happiness I ask you?  I like the the roll marks I got and would not be satisfied without them.  Reminds me of my first AR during the ban period.  I thought to myself, "I don't NEED a bayo".  I still don't- but they sure please me.  That's what matters at the end of the day- YOUR opinion and your happiness.

GoGo
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I live in Kenosha WI, That's my advice, anyway.

You moved from Tx recently?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yet again, this is all second hand information and everyone jumps Colts ass based on "what they heard" on the internet. What I heard from Colt customer service when I called was that they were at manufacturing capacity right now fulfilling Government contracts. I mean really, do you think Colt, who was damn near bankruptcy a few years ago, is going to "pass" on selling a shitload of AR-15s? Would you rather them send a couple to you instead of the soldiers and LEOs in the field? Thats what I thought.

uh... BS...BS....BS

*IF* they were at "manufacturing capacity", how do they continue to produce neutered rifles?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
uh... BS...BS....BS

*IF* they were at "manufacturing capacity", how do they continue to produce neutered rifles?

Different production lines.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Shitting on civilian customers is exactly why Colt has filed bankruptcy so many times.

Why are there not more transferable M16s from Colt, because Colt would only let a dealer have one at a time, it he sold it to a dept. he could order a replacement.

Why don't M16 uppers fit into AR15 SP1ns because Colt did not want them to,

Why was the AR sporter to loose it's bayo lug before the law required it? Because colt never has cared about civilian customers.

Why did they cut the bolt carrier, sear block the lower, and goto non std. oversized trigger group pins?

Because Colt did not want thier guns to work with legal transferable conversion kits.

Why does Colt now not care about what thier civilian customers want? Because that is and always has been company policy.

K. Don't buy 'em. More for me.

Oh, BTW, if Colt doesn't care about the civilian market, why sell them at all? Spite I suppose?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Shitting on civilian customers is exactly why Colt has filed bankruptcy so many times.

Why are there not more transferable M16s from Colt, because Colt would only let a dealer have one at a time, it he sold it to a dept. he could order a replacement.

Why don't M16 uppers fit into AR15 SP1ns because Colt did not want them to,

Why was the AR sporter to loose it's bayo lug before the law required it? Because colt never has cared about civilian customers.

Why did they cut the bolt carrier, sear block the lower, and goto non std. oversized trigger group pins?

Because Colt did not want thier guns to work with legal transferable conversion kits.

Why does Colt now not care about what thier civilian customers want? Because that is and always has been company policy.

And after all this if he still wants a Colt?  Let him be.  Criminy.  Nobody here cares if Colt cares about me, boo hoo.  It's a matter of what merchandise you want.  Do you vote for the Presidential candidate who cares about you?  I hope not cause I got news for ya!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
uh... BS...BS....BS

All of the parts between the LE models and the neutered models are identical except for the FSB and threaded barrel (and collapsible stock, if desired).  I doubt there is a shortage of FSBs.  Barrels all start the same way and then get contoured, threaded, etc. as required.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
uh... BS...BS....BS

All of the parts between the LE models and the neutered models are identical except for the FSB and threaded barrel (and collapsible stock, if desired).  I doubt there is a shortage of FSBs.  Barrels all start the same way and then get contoured, threaded, etc. as required.  

Ok, so if they are identical, whatcha bitchin about??
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ok, so if they are identical, whatcha bitchin about??

Because I want a flash hider!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]
But you just said they were identical.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll keep looking around ... several of the Colt dealers I've called are out of stock with no order fullfilment in the near future (at least they say). Has anyone compiled a list of dealers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Kenosha WI, That's my advice, anyway.

You moved from Tx recently?

Unfortunately  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top