Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 7:07:08 PM EDT
     I recently aquired an AR-15 rifle with  a 20" HBAR upper and  a 16" upper that included 1000 rounds of 55 gr. FMJ ammo.  Winchester model Q3131a.  The lower receiver is marked cal .223.      AMMO ORACLE states that the Q3131a is "loaded hotter than most commercial loads" but that discription is quite criptic.  The lower receiver is marked cal. 223 ser.mh ......            

For target shooting, should I use a lighter round or is this ammo ok to use? Perhaps a lighter round would be easier on the rifle...  I am new to the AR15 family (but am still a proud member) and any feedback is appreciated.

-556newman
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Is anything stamped on the barrel?

Like 5.56 or .223, anywhere maybe under the handguards even?

Danny

ETA: ser.mh ...... that looks to be a COLT Match HBAR by the prefix on the serial number.

If so the barrel is marked between the front sight base and the flash hider, on top.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
    Now that you made me look, there is something stamped on the barrel.   On the top, just infront of the front post: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR (20" upper).  The 16" upper says the same but it is a 1/9.  Thanks for the tip, I guess I'm ok?

-556newman
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
    Now that you made me look, there is something stamped on the barrel.   On the top, just infront of the front post: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR (20" upper).  The 16" upper says the same but it is a 1/9.  Thanks for the tip, I guess I'm ok?

-556newman

If 5.56 NATO is stamped on the barrels on both of them they are indeed well suited for the Q3131A ammo as well as .223 Remington ammo.

Have fun shooting! AND Welcome to ARFCOM!

Danny
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
       Thanks Buddy, I'll take your word for it.   Now if I can just get my neighbors to quit yelling at us when I plink in the back yard.  But thats something I'll have to take up with them... From what I hear VA has no legislation against shooting unless it is done in a safe manner.  I guess that means no booze and no shooting at ducks!?!  And that CCP permit was SOOOooooo easy!

-556newman
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
       Thanks Buddy, I'll take your word for it.   Now if I can just get my neighbors to quit yelling at us when I plink in the back yard.  But thats something I'll have to take up with them... From what I hear VA has no legislation against shooting unless it is done in a unsafe manner.  I guess that means no booze and no shooting at ducks!?!  And that CCP permit was SOOOooooo easy!

-556newman

Fixed it fer ya and you are welcome.

What is VAT in your profile as far as location?

Danny
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
     Location North and West of Charlottesville.   Nestled in the crotch of the Blue Ridge Mtns and the foothills of ole' Tommy Jeff's home on Monticello Mtn.  So sweet makes me want to... well, thats for a DIFFERENT website (any ideas?).  Anywho, to keep on subject, are you familiar with the Ruger 10/22?  I am having feeding problems unless I use high-velocity rounds.  It is particular to the Remington hollows and the supply stores around here are out of stock.  They have been for awhile and I am starting to get the shakes...

-Fire on, 559newman  (419, you need one more...)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
     Naw, see. You must have misunderestimated me (thanks for the word, W).  DRINKING by night. PLINKING by day.  I only plink by night if I had a really nightish (???) day.  Of course, those are the best nights a dude can have.  
      The fuzz (yes, where I live there is the - as in one - fuzz) would show up and want a beer and I do not have enough for him.  Only me.  
--556newman __ Who loves this site 10/1/05
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait....hold the phone!
You READ the ammo oracle BEFORE posting?
Holy crap man - we need more like you!
Welcome hombre
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I was ordered in another thread to say hi, so HI!  

AB
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was ordered in another thread to say hi, so HI!  

AB

ME TOO!

Welcome to the board!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
   Well hello how-diddy ta ya?  Thanks to everyone for the welcome.  
"Ordered", huh?  Well who exactly gives the orders round here?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wait....hold the phone!
You READ the ammo oracle BEFORE posting?
Holy crap man - we need more like you!
Welcome hombre

Somebody buy this guy a team membership!  He reads before he posts!!  I got $5 in it!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
  Wow!  Donating $5 towards a colored star by my id?  You guys are cool!!
I'm sure the team membership is worth more than a star but I want a yellow one...   Or maybe orange -- thats a pretty KA color too.

Not being a hero or anything, I'll take yellow over gold and orange over bronze.  If I liked grey I'd take one of those over silver.  Ah, screw it - I need a drink.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome

I thought that VAT was for Vatican.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
     Location North and West of Charlottesville.   Nestled in the crotch of the Blue Ridge Mtns and the foothills of ole' Tommy Jeff's home on Monticello Mtn.  So sweet makes me want to... well, thats for a DIFFERENT website (any ideas?).  Anywho, to keep on subject, are you familiar with the Ruger 10/22?  I am having feeding problems unless I use high-velocity rounds.  It is particular to the Remington hollows and the supply stores around here are out of stock.  They have been for awhile and I am starting to get the shakes...    -Fire on, 559newman  (419, you need one more...)

Go to www.rimfirecentral.com for help with your 10/22.  The ultimate site for 10/22 information.  I have put together two ultimate 10/22 rifles from info gathered on this website and it is a wealth of information.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]
<---- Good Stuff!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Welcome hought

The VA stands for Virginia.  The T... uh.. I guess it stands for Typo.  Finger must have slipped, huh?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Go to www.rimfirecentral.com for help with your 10/22.  The ultimate site for 10/22 information.  I have put together two ultimate 10/22 rifles from info gathered on this website and it is a wealth of information.

Thanks. Checked it out and think I've narowed it down to a $10 part.  Will order extractor and see if it improves any.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top