Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2004 7:24:44 PM EST
is this possible to do..that is once the law expires? do they use the same buffer? if so does any one have any recomendatiions on what stock to get.
thanks
greg
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:42:00 PM EST
After the ban sunsets.......YES if you live in a state that doesn't have a ban like New York

Do you use the same buffer......No Not on the CAR style stocks

Which one should you get.........How much do you want to spend

Prices range from as cheap as $35 to $225

No name 4 position
RRA 6pos
Vltor
Magpul
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:26:33 PM EST
Very easy to do and you can do it yourself at home. Just stay away from the junk noname collapsables.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:38:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:52:40 AM EST
After the Ban sunsets - there is NO preban or postban. It will be as if the Ban never existed.

SO legally, yep.

Physically, yep. It's an easy install
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:57:22 AM EST
so i already have a post ban bushmaster m4 carbine....so the whole stock assembly...buffer tube, spring etc is part of a new kit. the thread on the buffer tube is universal then? also, any special tools needed?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:57:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 7:58:27 AM EST by brushdog]

Originally Posted By gm2376:
the thread on the buffer tube is universal then? also, any special tools needed?
thanks

Yes, the thread is the same for the A2 stock and all the collapsible stocks.

This wrench is for those stock with tool holes around the lock ring.

This for the newer castle nuts with the square notches on the back of the lock ring. If the nut on your stock looks like this, you neeed this tool.

Both should run you about $5 or $6 each.

Just make sure that when you remove your old stock, you watch out for the spring in the rear of the receiver. Probably a good idea to loosen it slightly, then put it in a cardboard box or cup your hand over it as you remove the buffer tube becuase that spring will fly on you.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:01:55 PM EST
Why can't you use the older type wrench on the newer castle nut rings? That's all I have and I want to switch over on the 13th.

Exnavarm
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:24:27 PM EST
Can you not modify a fake one to make it colapsable? Seems like someone could make a kit to sell only the parts needed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:32:43 PM EST
Because the old nut has round holes, new ones have square notches, the wrenches are therefore different.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:15:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By exnavarm:
Why can't you use the older type wrench on the newer castle nut rings? That's all I have and I want to switch over on the 13th.

Exnavarm

You could also use your old nut rings on your new tubes if you don't want to get both tools.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:38:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR15Mudder:
Can you not modify a fake one to make it colapsable? Seems like someone could make a kit to sell only the parts needed.

Not on any I have seen.. Most use a full length buffer tube. Most of the ones that use the carbine length tube are JB welded or otherwise permanently installed onto the tube. The sole exception I know of are early DPMS fixed CAR stocks. They were originally only pinned, but the tube was not machined with the detents to allow the stock to adjust if you unpinned it (although this is easily solved with a drill). I believe in the last two or three years, DPMS has had to both pin and weld the fixed CAR stocks as the origianl method allowed it to be converted too easily. Once again, the bvest way to do this is to just buy a new complete stock kit. More than likely, you will end up doing that anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:54:10 PM EST
This thread should be tacked.

I bet it's going to be asked alot.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:45:55 AM EST
You can modify the fake telestock, but the effort is just not worth the trouble. Besides, after considering the other items you will need to replace, just buy the whole assembly. 10-15 minutes and it is on. My time is worth more than $3/hr, I have other things to do. In the time I would spend modifying a fake telestock, I can can more than pay the difference.

Buying the whole thing together, you know that you have the correct buffer and spring, and that the movable buttstock will lock up well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:08:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 10:18:57 AM EST by FRO]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:07:35 PM EST
My armalite fixed stock is just screwed in if I unscrew it will slide right off !!!
someone please help me out ,so what else do I need ?

Thanks guys .....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:33:32 PM EST

I was just getting ready to post this same question! I currently have a Bushmaster A3 with the 20 inch barrel.

Again, which stock is best? Colt, DPMS, Bushamster, others?

Why? Features - name - materials - etc. (Any to stay away from and why?)

4 position or 6 position stock?

H buffer - M4 buffer - are there other buffers?! WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE ? ? ?

Lastly, are there any issues that one should know about these stocks? Comfort or noise or difficulty to attach a sling, etc.

Any and all opinions welcome! I'm so glad I can finally ask these questions knowing that I am going to get this stock! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:14:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By MJFRacing:
I was just getting ready to post this same question! I currently have a Bushmaster A3 with the 20 inch barrel.

Again, which stock is best? Colt, DPMS, Bushamster, others?

Why? Features - name - materials - etc. (Any to stay away from and why?)

4 position or 6 position stock?

H buffer - M4 buffer - are there other buffers?! WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE ? ? ?

Lastly, are there any issues that one should know about these stocks? Comfort or noise or difficulty to attach a sling, etc.

Any and all opinions welcome! I'm so glad I can finally ask these questions knowing that I am going to get this stock! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

i just recieved my RRA stock, the tactical car version.....just to let u know i never removed a stock before and i was able to do it in about 10 minutes...just make sure u buy the correct wrench for the stock.....and REALLY make sure u are carefull when un threading the buffer tube. The pin that holds the buffer spring in the tube will fly out..i almost lost an eye there...i knew these now banless stocks where evil...j/k.....but its really easy, the hardest part wast looseing the nut. As for ridgidity...the rra is pretty solid, thers a slight wobble, but nothing to noticeable...i have a three point sling, and if u have a pinned busshy or dpms already, the tactical car version is probably the same version u have. its about 25$ more than the three position, but i think it looks better. it cost me 95$ for the complete assembly plus the wrench at www.operationparts.com/rock-river-arms.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:27:00 PM EST
Use the ARF site supporters instead. Here's one below. Support our site and save $20, how can you lose? $72 shipped, with a tool.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=213776
Top Top