Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 4:25:51 PM EDT
...the bushmaster lower is a fairly new post-ban and it has a Rock River Arms two stage trigger installed on it. The ASA 9mm upper should be delivered tomorrow Monday but I was wanting to know if the two will match up and work together or will I have to change out anything, like the hammer maybe? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  Does anyone have a setup like this and ifso how has it preformed?   Thanks again.....Jackpot
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not have this set up, but I was looking at something similar.  I was told by ASA that you need the rounded hammer for this set up to work.  The hammer with the grove apparently causes problems.  Hope this helps.  You can always call them up during a week day and I am sure they can give you more info.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Ramp your carrier so you don't need to change hammers and the ramping saves your lower from getting beaten up!!!

Before ramping:
[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~subguns/Before Bolt.JPG[/img]

After ramping:
[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~subguns/after Bolt.JPG[/img]

Example of some I've fixed, do not do this!!
[img]users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/wtf.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks alot guys for the responses!   Myself,I am just too dang afraid to get a file or dremel after my carrier...it seems I never do anything like that correctly and end up with a fishing weight...Called ASA but they weren't really sure either way if it'll work with the RRA trigger or if it won't...I'll just have to try it and see..and just go from there...But I do greatly appreciate the imput from fellow AR15.com friends! THANKS.....,jackpot
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a ASA 9mm upper on the way.I'm mounting
on top a standard RR lower.I called ASA and ask
about the hammer, their response was it should work.Jackpot let us know how your gun functions.
                      wes
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well guys,I got my ASA 9mm upper in today....I tried it on both my Bushmaster lower that has a RRA two stage trigger and on my RRA lower with factory RRA trigger seup.....no worky on either! Dang...I guess this is the typical problem when you have the wrong hammer, I don't know..would someone that does know please tell me...After installing on either lower as soon as the charging handle is pulled back and released the bolt only travels part of the way then stops...it does not close completely....is this what happens if you've got the wrong hammer?  Thanks in advance...the anticipation of getting it in was about to kill me...now this...AHHHHH!......Jackpot
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats what happens if you try to use the std 223 hammer with "notch" at the top face of the hammer. You can have the bolt "ramped", then all is well.

Without the "ramping":
You can use an M16 hammer, with the auto sear lug cut off, or a 9mm hammer. I am using the M16 part, w/lug cut off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, that sucks, I am going to order a 9mm
hammer for mine.
                   wes
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Man, that sucks, I am going to order a 9mm
hammer for mine.
 wes
View Quote
[blue]

You say "RR" in 1 of your posts, are you saying Rock River (AR-15) or "RR" as in M16??

If you are using the M16 (RR) as you state, the 9mm hammer will do nothing for you except drain your wallet, and cause you a bunch of greif wondering why it wont fire when selector turned to "AUTO". The 9mm is a "semi-auto" hammer, NO GOOD IN M16.

Put the upper on, turn the selector to "AUTO", and let it rip. Ramping will eliminate the harsh slap to the hammer as the bolt is brought back when firing.
[/blue]
[red]
This is what I am currently using for Colt pattern 9mm, and 223 SBR, it is a M16 hammer  with the auto lug removed.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p7a21929478de21856da2653f457a76fc/fc681fb2.jpg[/img]

Now if my magwell adapter ever shows up....[/red]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/pf5b9bf8890f4da6a7062fb5179c1212f/fc1b9ac5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, The RR I wrote ment Rock River.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
JoeBlack send me a email saying he could "ramp" the carrier for me which I am told will eliminate the need to change out any of my hammers,including the RRA two stage trigger I have in my Bushmaster lower. The cost is $70.00 and takes about a week. I just hate being down another week,more likely two with mailing and all...dang!! I can't really see on the pics I've been shown what exactly "ramping" does...I think it means basicly filing down an area that contacts the bolt on the bottom side..but without knowing forsure ,it's not something I myself want to try to do with my dremel, I would probably cut down the wrong side:-)....but I tell you,I really do like the ASA block...that fits in from the inside of the lower receiver...it even utilizes the receivers own mag release for the 9mm uzi mags,a very nice setup indeed..,I'm wanting to pick up a few more higher capacity 9mm mags. Does any and all 9mm uzi mags work in this properly ..or are there certain kinds I need to look for. The two 25 round mags I got with the upper appear brandnew, and it does not look like any cutting or fitting was done to either so I guess if I can find the right ones they should fit right in, with no fabricating on or cutting on like I've heard needs to be done on some 9mm upper mag types. Thanks!!  Jackpot
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Get your 223 carrier, and your 9mm bolt... lay them side by side on the table, and look at the bottom of the 223 carrier and  9mm bolt where hammer rides during cycle.

This is a std 9mm bolts' bottom-- UN-MODIFIED:
[img]users.zoominternet.net/~subguns/Before%20Bolt.JPG[/img]

This is a better pic of a "ramped" 9mm bolt,, see how it more closely resembles your std 223 carrier.. the area inside the circle...
[img]http://www2.c3junkie.com:6721/m16/9mm/saw_bolt[/img]

Any plain Uzi will need to have a cut-out made to allow the AR mag catch to retain the mag-- see the notch maybe 1" from the top of the mag on the left side? The factory Uzi catch is that rectangular slot farther down, just above those
ears stamped outwards on the mag body.
[img][/img]

NOTE: Olympic arms system uses a std 223 carrier with a bolt head in the front, so ramping///hammers is not an issue with that system.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Joeblack did mine. Good job, good price, great speed & I like it!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought everone new better than to deal with the bastards at ASA.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Myself, I dealt with the very fine folks at Calvary Arms (Doug)....and I can honestly say that they have my business from now on. I definitely recommend them to all my friends and to all of you!  Russell
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
update: was out at the Bigtown Gunshow today in Mesquite,Texas and came across the rounded type hammer that I needed, I think it was around $9 bucks....anyhow came home and took my RRA two stage trigger out of my Bushmaster lower and installed the new rounded hammer....all seems fine now, works as it should....it was the first trigger/hammer setup I replaced and even with me being a one armed fat white boy I still had the RRA hammer&trigger out and the new trigger & rounded hammer backin in no time at all, so now I'm going to install the RRA two stage trigger setup in my RRA lower with a Armalite 20" flattop upper...I'm on a roll! ...but now I have another question since I'm past the hammer problem....just to refresh,I've got the ASA 9mm upper,the block installs from the inside of the receiver top...the block I now have is so tight in the mag well (the same in both lowers) that it must be put in using a rubber mallet...but it will fit, (but when the mag in inserted it does have some forward and backwards movement.is this normal?)..the block is just extremely tight...I am already being sent another block to try from the seller...now for the question...which is better, operates better...a extremely tight block like I described or one that very easily slips in and out with no effort? Thanks again for all the help ya'll have already offered and for this new problem.....jackpot
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]
jackpot, I have a couple of clarifying questions for you as I am begining a 9mm project of my own.
1. How much was the ASA mag block?
2. Did you get the block from ASA directly or was it from Calvary Arms?
3. Are you sure you UZI mags weren't already notched before you got them? I have been told by many people that even with a Colt system you'd have to notch UZI mags to use the AR's own mag release.

Just a side note: I belive that Tapco sells UZI mags at a fairly decent price.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
jackpot, I have a couple of clarifying questions for you as I am begining a 9mm project of my own.
1. How much was the ASA mag block?
2. Did you get the block from ASA directly or was it from Calvary Arms?
3. Are you sure you UZI mags weren't already notched before you got them? I have been told by many people that even with a Colt system you'd have to notch UZI mags to use the AR's own mag release.

Just a side note: I belive that Tapco sells UZI mags at a fairly decent price.
View Quote

Hello...I did a little trading and buying so its hard to say exactly what the block itself cost.....and I'm sorry about my description but yes the uzi mags do have to have..and have had the slot cut out for the ar15 mag release before they can be used in a ar15....it all came from Calvary Arms..which is the place I definitely recommend to you for needed parts....also CDNN investments as the uzi mags...man,I'll tell you the sten mags were at the local gunshow yesterday for $4.00 & $6.00 each...I sure wish the uzi's could be gotten at that price;-)

Good luck on your setup.....jackpot
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the knowledge jackpot. Just two more questions. Your UZI mags came from Calvary Arms already notched? Could you post their site address for me?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
they dont sell mags to the public....I got the mags from a person that works there, not from Calvary Arms themselves...but they do sell everything else for it...jackpot

their website address is on the industry forum here on AR15.com
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Last night I tried out my ASA 9mm upper I got from Cav. Arms.I installed the ASA 9mm hammer and went to shoot.The gun functioned perfectly.The only hicup was one of my mag's follower sits lower in the rear causing the occasional double feed.(going to fix today)Over all I am impressed.And it's a Sh*t load of fun to shoot.
                    wes
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I am getting one of the ASA uppers and a uzi mag from a guy at Cav Arms. They are out of his personal collection. cant wait for it to get here.....cant decide what dot to put on it, with the cost of the upper, I could justify the cost of getting a OKO, dont care for the C-more or EO Tech. The Hako (sp?) is a possibility....hmmm, desicions, desicions...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I got the OKO for mine but I honestly can't decide if I really like it or not....jackpot
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top