Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2017 6:06:43 PM EDT
I'm not a fan of collapsible stocks. Nothing against them, just a personal preference. They pull at my beard & I seem to leave them all the way out anyway, so I find myself drawn to the A2 stocks. Biggest drawback on that stock is no QD sling attachments. Since I was sitting around bored today, I went ahead and installed one on my stock. Since I couldn't find any how to's on the web, I figured I'd share how I did it. Can't say it's the only way or even the best way - just the way I did it.

ETA - I used the Grove-tec QD cups purchased off of Amazon.

First, take the stock off your gun.

Attachment Attached File

Figure out where you want the sling attachment. Make sure it clears the buffer tube.

Attachment Attached File

Center punch the stock through the attachment.

Attachment Attached File

Drill a pilot hole.

Attachment Attached File

Measure the diameter of your attachment.

Attachment Attached File

More to come...
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Drill out the hole a bit smaller than the attachment's diameter. For me, that's 1/2 inch.

Attachment Attached File

If you're smart, you'll thread the hole next, but I don't have a tap & die set so no ones got time for that. Instead I slowly and carefully threaded the attachment into the hole. I was worried that I'd split the stock at this point, but it worked well.

Attachment Attached File

Thread it all the way in and then back it out a bit to apply glue to the threads. I couldn't find my jb weld, so I used gorilla glue. This is just to keep it from backing out, so it should be sufficient. Once the glue is applied to the thread screw it back in to your desired depth.  I then put some glue on the threads inside of the stock for good measure.

Attachment Attached File

After everything dries, reassemble.

Attachment Attached File

Looks like it will work.

Attachment Attached File

Go slow when you're drilling the stock. I got into a bit of a hurry & boogered the hole up a little bit. Shouldn't effect it's function though.

Also, if I had it to do over again, I'd put the attachment a little lower than I did.

Hope this helps someone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah.. looks like a Grove-tec  QD socket (you forgot to mention that, as I'm sure many will wonder where to get that and who makes it). LOVE those. They also fit into QD bosses in magpul stocks (such as the FCS) with zero drilling (just using a tap right into the boss).
Yep, those QD cups are life savers!
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of these because they were on sale with free shipping and used the back swivel off it. http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=129&limit=100
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A great install. Here is one I was looking at using for the same idea.
It might be a bit stronger due to the small flange and back nut

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/960922/noveske-flush-mount-push-button-quick-detach-universal-sling-mount-for-polymer-stocks
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used the Noveske several times, seems to work well, OP I'd try to thread a thin nut on the backside of that if possible to prevent pull out.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Anyone notice this is $32 for just the socket but what J3 posted was $22.50 and included a stock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ah.. looks like a Grove-tec  QD socket (you forgot to mention that, as I'm sure many will wonder where to get that and who makes it). LOVE those. They also fit into QD bosses in magpul stocks (such as the FCS) with zero drilling (just using a tap right into the boss).
Yep, those QD cups are life savers!
View Quote
Ah, yes it is the Grove-tecs - I should have mentioned that.  They have a pretty high user rating on Amazon, so that's what I went with.  I'll add that to my OP.

Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A great install. Here is one I was looking at using for the same idea.
It might be a bit stronger due to the small flange and back nut

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/960922/noveske-flush-mount-push-button-quick-detach-universal-sling-mount-for-polymer-stocks
View Quote
That looks like a pretty good mount.  The only downside I could think of is that the inside of the stock angles a bit which would make the back nut difficult, if not impossible to install.

Of course, if you put the mount about an inch closer to the toe of the stock (like I would do if I had it to do over) that wouldn't be as much of an issue & that mount should work fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen mounts like that before but, I don't know, they just look like they'd make the rifle awkward to carry.

I could be completely off base thinking that, but thats how it looks to me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've seen mounts like that before but, I don't know, they just look like they'd make the rifle awkward to carry.

I could be completely off base thinking that, but thats how it looks to me.
View Quote
It looks that way yes. But consider that Mr. Stoner put the orginal sling mount there too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with the noveske flush cups and love them. I tried the damage industries socket and it made the rifle feel like it wanted to "tip". I tried the Tangodown mount and I hated it. Just couldnt get it comfortable. Might work for a 1 point sling but I only use 2pts.

Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It looks that way yes. But consider that Mr. Stoner put the orginal sling mount there too.
View Quote
Very true. However, Mr Stoner simply installed sling mounts in the same location as “hunting rifles”.
A great deal has changed since the late fifties
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top