Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:51:41 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good quality punch set that's not going to bend or break easily for AR builds?
I've been through about three different sets and everything has crumbled. I don't mind paying good money for something that's actually going to hold up.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:56:36 PM EDT
Brownells and Midway both have assorted Brass and Steel punch sets.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:02:38 PM EDT
With the smaller punches you are on a steep ridgeline ballanceing between hardness and strength.

A bit too hard and any side force snapps it like a piece of ice and a bit too soft and it bends like a noodle

I use a lyman set that I got from Midway but I bend and snap them easily
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:09:22 PM EDT
I built 10 ARs with a single Craftsman set that remains in use. I would suggest getting a smaller hammer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:22:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I built 10 ARs with a single Craftsman set that remains in use. I would suggest getting a smaller hammer.

It's definitely not the hammer
I've been using a small plastic head mallet. I mean that thing is tiny.

The Craftsmen set lasted me the longest.
I've not broken anything...yet, but I've bent tons.
I picked up two at a gun show recently and they were both shot within a week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:12:46 PM EDT
I have been using my Brownell’s roll pin punch set for more than 20 years with no breaks or bends.
They also have a ‘starter’ set that has short tips that should be more resistant to breaking or bending.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:14:24 AM EDT
I think its your technique bro.. Always hit those punches square and plumb don't hack on them..
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:05 PM EDT
My Brownells' punches are still going strong. I did bend the 1/16th roll pin holder.
Top Top