Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2003 10:41:44 PM EDT
Just like the thread about RRA, I would like to get some comments towards Olympic arms. I'm seriously considering getting an AR from them because the m4 configuration they make has removable muzzle brake, lifetime warranty and cheaper price then BM (not too significant). I'd like to hear what people have to say about them, quality, costumer service and compatibility.
Also what are they chamber for? .223 or 5.56 NATO?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Olympic Arms has been great to deal with from the little personal experience I have had and really great for one of my friends.

The guys at Oly Arms will return personal email and most of their adresses are on the website for contacting personally. I have spoken on the phone with them a few times and they were very help full.

A friend had made a trade at a local gun show for a Post Ban Oly M4 that was VERY well used.. but it was a great deal.  After putting about 1000 rounds through it the bolt broke- cracked and snapped clean in half.  We live in the Pacific NW and he had saved a little money to get a few mods and extras for the M4 so he took it directly to Oly Arms factory to drop it off pay to have the bolt repaired and by a few mods.  Well... long story short they fixed it for free (even though the Lifetime warranty does not transfer) on the spot while he waited (replacing and hand fitting a new bolt).  They gave him a good discount on the mods he did and gave him a small pile of freebies (patches, a bag, stickers, etc.)

And the M4 is great... as is my PCR 5.

All in all good experiences.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
In the family are 3 Colts, 1 Bushy, 1 Essential Arms, and 3 Olympic Arms. All 8 get frequent workouts. The quality of the Olympic is equal to all of the others and is the only brand warrantied for life.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My Oly PCR1 has always treated me right.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
my local gun store owner discouraged me from buying an Oly, saying that the receiver was of poor quality.  Is there any merit to this?  It's possible that he just lied to me because he didn't have one in stock.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both an PCR-1 SUM and a CAR97-M4. Both
have been exceptional rifles. The SUM will drive a tack and the M4 will digest everything I throw at it. The only con, and you counted it as a pro, is the removable muzzle brake. If you do remove it, make sure you reinstall with some good Loc-tite. You don't want to see that pretty piece of machine work blown up. As far as the recievers go, just stay away from the cast one they offer. Cast is just what they say, cheap and not as strong. Oh, BTW, no failures of any type in either rifle. I would purchase again with no hesitation. Chamber on the M4 is 5.56 NATO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
my local gun store owner discouraged me from buying an Oly, saying that the receiver was of poor quality.  Is there any merit to this?  It's possible that he just lied to me because he didn't have one in stock.
View Quote

This is horse hockey.

Oly's standard line of receivers are forged 7075 Alumininum and they are as good as any out there. They are one of the few manufacturers that offer forged Titanium receivers as well. He may be referring the lower priced CAST receiver Oly offers in their most economical rifle, the plinker, but I wouldn't buy a cast receiver anyway. Although most folks I know who have the plinker have had no issues. All their products have a lifetime warranty, which is transferable. Many vendors and owners develop bias towards one manufacturer or another. Olympic had some quality control issues in the early years (as have other manufacturers), but seems to have resolved these, I have had nothing but excellent service for both my Olympic rifles. The only issue I have had is the 40 round mags I ordered from Bushmaster  are a bit tight. USGI, Thermold, Orlite, and Royal Ordnance SA80 mags all fit perfectly and drop out with gravity when the mag release is pressed.

Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River, and Olympic all make excellent rifles, some people say Colt internals are the best. There are many customs out there that are good, if money is no object, like Les Baer, wilson Combat etc. If you want Chrome bore, Bushy or Colt may the way to go.

Bottom line is, every manufacturer will have SOME Q&A issues, how they handle it is what matters. I have found both Olympic and Armalite to be very helpful with any issues I had with mine.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever it is!

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Lack of support after the sale is my biggest complaint.  Anyone that's been around here for a while has seen Oly's attacks on their own customers.  On the phone and out of the public eye, they're even more abusive, abrasive, rude, and offensive.  I've had mine for 2.5 years, and it still won't feed from a magazine.  The bolt hits the top of the mag.z
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been very happy with my Oly pre-ban.

With that said, I cannot comment on their customer service, etc.  I bought mine used, and verified it was going to function before I got it.

If a problem arises, I will just take it to an AR 'smith and bypass Oly completely.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My Oly PCR1 has always treated me right.
[url]http://sio.midco.net/tjt/melt-4.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Thats a beautiful Red[red]X[/red]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I might as well throw in my 2 cents. After much research, I ordered and received an OLY 16" SUM upper (the PCR 3). Stainless Ultra Match with a tight .223 chamber.

After 12 or 13 loads, I could never do better than 7/8"-1" groups with it on my Colt Match Competition Hbar lower. Those best groups were all with Black Hills ammo.

On suggestion of someone on this forum, I emailed Oly, told them of my problem, mentioning that their website clearly stated I should expect 1/2" groups and the two guys I talked to said 1/2" groups all day and 1/4" groups if I worked on finding the right ammo and could shoot. Don said 'Sorry to hear about your problem. You are right in that you should be getting much better groups with that SUM.  Go ahead and send it back...'. They have it now.

I sent a letter with it explaining everything I could think of- what ammo was used, what lower, what scope, etc, etc, etc. Though I may have just gotten a bad barrel, they didn't question it. They said just send it back. I hope to hear from them soon.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lack of support after the sale is my biggest complaint.  Anyone that's been around here for a while has seen Oly's attacks on their own customers.  On the phone and out of the public eye, they're even more abusive, abrasive, rude, and offensive.  I've had mine for 2.5 years, and it still won't feed from a magazine.  The bolt hits the top of the mag.z
View Quote

Funny, they said they would refinish a new lower I bought just because I didn't like the color, free of charge. I find it very difficult to believe they would not repair a nonfunctional weapon. I'd like to hear their side of the story, who did you talk to at Olympic? I am familiar with most of the people there, and if you really have a problem I'm sure they could resolve it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I would never consider buying their JUNK!

The Rep that used to post on this board, (before he left due to vast Oly complaints) used to say Oly had "Tighter Tollerances" than other Makers.  This was why some Oly's wouldn't function properly!

What a fucking Joke!  I guess Colt/Bushy/Armalite just couldn't measure up to Oly's "Tight Tollerances".

I see a problem with a company that has a system for REMAKING their Lowers for Dissatisfied Customers.  They must not give a shit about quality.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a pre-ban 20" A2 made in 1994. The finish is great, the fit is poor(upper/lower). That said Oly has been nothing but great on the phone and I plan to send it back soon to have the lower remilled and "Maxhard" stuff done. I don't know yet of the charges if any but will post when it's done. I like Oly because of there policy to remanufacture lowers. With the political climate of our AR's constantly changing I think there a good buy. If A/B/C had the same policy it would be a mute point but as far as I know they don't. Also Oly has cast(Vs. forged)front sight assemblies and doesn't offer a chrome barrel.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Go with it man, I have had Olympics before and they were every bit as good as any of the other ones out there.  In fact my main rifle is a Oly SGW preban.  I don't buy for the name any more, it just cost me extra money.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]
$399 how ya gonna beat it...

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
PROS:
Excellant quality
Very accurate barrels
Highly reliable
Good customer service
Lifetime warranty

CONS:
Not "cool" enough for markm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
There are better ones available if your more interested in having something more repesentative to the military dimentions.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would never consider buying their JUNK!

The Rep that used to post on this board, (before he left due to vast Oly complaints) used to say Oly had "Tighter Tollerances" than other Makers.  This was why some Oly's wouldn't function properly!

What a fucking Joke!  I guess Colt/Bushy/Armalite just couldn't measure up to Oly's "Tight Tollerances".

I see a problem with a company that has a system for REMAKING their Lowers for Dissatisfied Customers.  They must not give a shit about quality.
View Quote

Here we go again with the zero-IQ flamers. It was an educated discussion for a while. why can't people learn to express dissent with a little tact.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#19]
All my AR's are Olys...

All my AR's fit right up to all the uppers. Bushy, Colt, etc....

Never had one problem.

I have to agree I didnt care for the attitude I got from 'Mr Oly', but I have [b]zero[/b] complaints about the rifles.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#20]
_DR, if you were here when Oly had employees posting, you would have seen their hostile attitudes, personal attacks, and lack of willingness to fix problems.  I even posted pictures and measurements of the problem with my lower.  The mag catch is just too high.  The bolt hits the feed lips on the magazine so it won't close.

Here we go again with the zero-IQ flamers.
View Quote

_DR, why the personal attack on markm?  That is the excuse Tom S gave for some of the problems with their products.  If you had been around here when they were posting, you would seen the same excuse.z
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
_DR, if you were here when Oly had employees posting, you would have seen their hostile attitudes, personal attacks, and lack of willingness to fix problems.  I even posted pictures and measurements of the problem with my lower.  The mag catch is just too high.  The bolt hits the feed lips on the magazine so it won't close.

View Quote

DR, why the personal attack on markm?  That is the excuse Tom S gave for some of the problems with their products.  If you had been around here when they were posting, you would seen the same excuse.z
View Quote

As I understand it, Oly has or is trying very hard to resolve their QC issues. They have purchased high quality CNC equipment that replaced the older "questionable" setups. I see no reason they would not address your issue. But, if you come across like MarkM, I wouldn't want to talk to you either. Give it another try.
_
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are better ones available if your more interested in having something more repesentative to the military dimentions.
Good shootin, Jack
View Quote

Please enlighten us Jack. What (specifically) is "not representative to the military dimensions" about an Oly?

We all know Oly does not use chromed bores, and for good, well explained and well documented  reasons, but this is not a "dimension". Outside of Oly's choice not to use the chrome lined bore, what specifically is "not representative to the military dimensions"??

We'd all like to know. Please document your response with facts and not heresay.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Oly Pro's
Umm Nothing.

Con's
Have the worst quality control in the industry, have the worst customer service in the industry. They are dishonest.
Pat
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oly Pro's
Umm Nothing.

Con's
Have the worst quality control in the industry, have the worst customer service in the industry. They are dishonest.
Pat
View Quote

Glockfan-
    You have a long history of being an Oly hater... I don't know what we did to wrong you in another life but most people can let things go after a couple years.

Worst quality control in the industry?  I don't think so.  I would be interested to see your source for a claim like that other than your disgruntled opinion. If this were true, why has the company grown more in the past few years than at any other time in our 30 year history?  Word of mouth would have killed us off a long time ago if others shared your view.  Truth is, we've got less than a 2% warrantee / return rate.  The industry average tends to hover between 3-5%. Furthermore, a good number of those returns we see are due to the customer using either crap ammo or crap magazines (or combination of the two) and has nothing to do with our quality control.  
    Bottom line is that we stand behind our products better than anybody. Period.  We make our own parts, we know exactly how they were made and what employee made them, and we don't have to jack up prices to pay for the middleman.
    As for our customer service...we've got three guys here handling calls from all over the nation all day long.  [u]Every single customer is taken care of[/u]; I can walk by any desk here and watch the staff bend over backwards to help anybody that calls.  I don't know who you dealt with years ago that apparently pissed in your Corn Flakes but, chances are, that person is long gone.  
    Tell you what, give us a random call sometime with a random question and see if you get harassed or lied to.  It won't happen.  I guarantee it. 800-228-3471

"All that hate is going to burn you up, son."  -Red Dawn

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Myself and a friend purchased a stripped lower each at a local gunshow.  There were some coating issues with each, and things were out of spec.  I had to take my lower to a local gunsmith to remove a little material.  This was last winter.  I won't buy another Oly lower when there are so many other good options around.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Lowers sold at gunshows see a lot more abuse than what you find if a dealer ordered one direct from the company.  What part of the receiver was "out of spec"?  I would frame it on the wall if it is....that "bad" receiver would be a rare collector's item.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

_DR, why the personal attack on markm?  That is the excuse Tom S gave for some of the problems with their products.  If you had been around here when they were posting, you would seen the same excuse.z
View Quote

Zoom, it was not meant as a personal attack on Markm, it was directed at the Oly-bashing that regularly occurs on this forum everytime this topic comes up. I don't know why I even bother replying. A waste of time. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lowers sold at gunshows see a lot more abuse than what you find if a dealer ordered one direct from the company.  What part of the receiver was "out of spec"?  I would frame it on the wall if it is....that "bad" receiver would be a rare collector's item.
View Quote

Mine and my buddies had the same problem.  I take it you are claiming that the problem occurred after the lowers left your factory.  You would be wrong.  Last time I checked a coating problem wasn't something that would happen if a lower got bent.  

Nice customer service by the way.  Typical, "it's not our problem" attitude.  Everyone reading this thread take note of the crappy attitude displayed by an Olympic employee.  From reading other posts on this thread, this attitude seems to be pretty prevelant at Olympic.

And to think I wanted to buy a titanium lower at one point in time.  Crappy customer service will destroy you, no matter how good your products are.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an OLY PCR 45. My only complaint is the upper/lower fit is sloppy. Other than that it is a very accurate, relaible gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
i have a PRC-16, purchased in the last 18 months...   it kicks ass.

i can't speak for anything else that had come before my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
All you have to do buddy is check the link's list plus the industry section.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I only own Bushmaster, so I can't personally give an opinion on Oly.  However, two things jump out at me:

1.  There's a lot of talk about QC issues over the years.  I've heard those statements from some of the most recognized trainers around and I respect their opinions (no, I won't name them so please don't ask).

2.  Oly has some very loyal customers here at AR15.com, so they must make a good rifle when there's no QC issues.

I'd be interested in hearing XzombeeX's coments on the QC issues and, if there were QC issues in the past, how those issues were corrected.

In fairness to Oly and XzombeeX, its hard to respond to warranty/defect claims from the past and companies actually can mature and improve their processes and products.

I'm not saying I'm ready to go and buy an Oly rifle, but since we have an industry rep in this thread, give him a chance to state his case.

XzombeeX . . .
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#34]
chevy  ford  oly colt no diff
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#35]
For the record, I am not here as a sanctioned factory rep for this board nor am I here to make a sales pitch.  Just here to help pass on information and try to dispell rumors.

The Olympic Arms sales staff would be more than happy to address any warrantee or related concerns. As I said before, they will bend over backwards to help.  

Sorry you feel I gave "crappy" service, it was not my intent to stir up a hornet's nest over this issue.  It sounded to me like you got a couple of dinged lowers at a gun show and wanted to place the blame on the factory.  If this is not the case, I apologize.  Also, my comment about the lowers being "collector's items" was a joke.  Don't take my smartass comments too seriously.
Fact is, we just don't see "out of spec" lowers with bad tolerances or bad finishes coming back to the company under warrantee.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For the record, I am not here as a sanctioned factory rep for this board nor am I here to make a sales pitch.  Just here to help pass on information and try to dispell rumors.

The Olympic Arms sales staff would be more than happy to address any warrantee or related concerns. As I said before, they will bend over backwards to help.  

Sorry you feel I gave "crappy" service, it was not my intent to stir up a hornet's nest over this issue.  It sounded to me like you got a couple of dinged lowers at a gun show and wanted to place the blame on the factory.  If this is not the case, I apologize.  Also, my comment about the lowers being "collector's items" was a joke.  Don't take my smartass comments too seriously.
Fact is, we just don't see "out of spec" lowers with bad tolerances or bad finishes coming back to the company under warrantee.
View Quote

Thank you for posting.  I suspect that people just fix the coating themselves and you never hear about it.  Your response was a good step in the right direction.  I can get you a serial number if you would like to track down if there was a specific run that had problems.  Thanks again.  Titanium lower would be hella cool...
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought an Oly years ago - early `90's, and it was second hand when I bought it. I shot it without any problems for a few years, and a couple of years ago I decided to change its configuration (different upper). Well, no other upper that I owned would close on that Oly lower. And upon closer inspection, it looked as if the front pivot hole in the upper had been elongated to give it the required clearence for it to close. In other words, the front pivot hole on the lower was located slightly low.

I contacted Tom S. of Oly and explained the situation, and that I was willing to pay to have the lower "refurbished" (replaced with a new on e bearing the original S/N). Tom said no problem, take it apart and send it in.

About a month and a half later, I had a brand new lower, finished better than the original, and everything about it was perfect. Best part: They didn't charge me a dime.

I'd say they're OK by me. Mine was originally made in the 1980's in the SGW days, and the new one even has the SGW "Stop Sign" logo like the old one.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thank you for posting.  I suspect that people just fix the coating themselves and you never hear about it.  Your response was a good step in the right direction.  I can get you a serial number if you would like to track down if there was a specific run that had problems.  Thanks again.  Titanium lower would be hella cool...
View Quote

Really don't have a particular run of serial numbers that had problems.....seems like out of the tens of thousands of receivers we've made in the last 30 years, the select few that were actually out of spec are about the only ones you hear about on this board.  Makes it seem like an epidemic when it really isn't.  New CNC machines were installed a few years ago...no glitches so far.  They've been working great.
    Give us a call on those lowers and we'll tell you everything we know on them.  Again, send them back if you want (no FFL transfer required) and we'll check them out for you.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been seeing alot of mixed opinions in this thread, and I thought I'd put in my .02.   About a year ago I purchased an Oly FAR-15.  Its a 16" shorty with a real thin barrel on a PCR-4 lower.  I have since treated it fairly well - I don't abuse any of my guns - and have been nothing but happy with it.  Light weight, accurate, far more reliable than my M-16A2 in the Army, and it's a nice looking rifle to boot.  I will not hesitate to buy another Oly when the time comes for another "scary" looking black rifle. FWIW, I have also found their people to be very friendly and helpful on the phone.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Really don't have a particular run of serial numbers that had problems.....seems like out of the tens of thousands of receivers we've made in the last 30 years, the select few that were actually out of spec are about the only ones you hear about on this board.  Makes it seem like an epidemic when it really isn't.  New CNC machines were installed a few years ago...no glitches so far.  They've been working great.
    Give us a call on those lowers and we'll tell you everything we know on them.  Again, send them back if you want (no FFL transfer required) and we'll check them out for you.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok wait half a horse second here.. You say that you haven't had a batch that has had problems but..  I bought a stripped lower before the hammer came down then decided to build it up this year, I found the mag well was placed too far foward not allowing the mag lock with an upper placed on it. I tried it on a FN, Armalite and colt upper and none of them worked, I sent it back and was told that it was from a run of "banbusters" made that way to "only fit olympic uppers". I paid $150.00 to get a new lower with my serial number which I am gratefull but I was told by an olympic employee of the above which means they did make a run of "out of mil spec" weapons. again as I live in the prk I am gratefull that I have the new lower but in the long run I paid $245.00 for it...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top