Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:50:13 PM EDT
I have RRA 20" Flattop rifle with the detachable carry handle currently installed. I am looking to buy an Aimpoint Comp ML2 but I cannot decide how to mount it.

What are the Pros and Cons of mounting the sight on the CH? Does anyone here choose to mount it on the CH?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:59:15 PM EDT
potential issue of mounting it on a "non fixed" carry handle. I guess I'd say mounting it on the flat top along with have a flip down BUIS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:46:22 PM EDT
I do.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:48:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
potential issue of mounting it on a "non fixed" carry handle.

Really. What would the potential issue be? Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:02:59 AM EDT
I don't know what putting it on a CH does better, I'm a newb. But won't that keep my irons in tact so I could use those too?

BUIS isn't a huge thing for me, this is a range gun. I could always get them later. If mounting right on the flattop, what is the ideal mount? Do I need a spacer?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:15:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 3:16:55 AM EDT by metalsaber]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

potential issue of mounting it on a "non fixed" carry handle.

Really. What would the potential issue be? Please elaborate.

As he said mounting on a Detachable Carry Handle. You have 3 mountings going on there. The detachable CH screwed down onto the flat top. The Mounting rail which screws down onto the detachable CH. Lastly the Aimpoint which is screwed/fastened to the mounting rail which is mounted to the carry handle which is mounted to the flat top. Pardon my ignorance, buy why in all thats holy would you have so many mounts. Not to mention should anything happen to that carry handle. You basically have a nice paper weight. Yes you could through the Aimpoint onto the flatop, but then its still not zeroed properly and therefore fairly ineffective. Obviously my concerns are more of a defensive nature. If it was purely for plinking, then please disregard my concerns.

I would have just recommended mounting the aimpoint onto the flatop along with having a flip up/down BUIS. That way each sight is non depending on the other to work.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:26:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
If some one has a fixed carry handle, then by all means, mount it to the handle, but I have no idea why one would choose to mount an optic to a removable carry handle? There's no advantage I can see to that.

Take the carry handle off, mount it to the flat top. Line of sight will be close to line of fire, this will cut down on hold over in addition to better enabeling you to achieve a much flatter zero. You will be able to take advantage of cheek weld. You will have a wider variety of quality mounts available to you. If I thought about it longer, I could probably think of a few more reasons.

What advantages would mounting it to the removale handle offer?

+1

Put it on the flattop. Since this is a range gun, you have plenty of time to switch from Aimpoint to irons depending on which you are in the mood to use. If you plan to defend yourself or family with it, put the Aimpoint on the flattop and get a BUIS of some kind.

My $.02.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 5:29:47 AM EDT by bjwar10]

Originally Posted By Blue_Genes:
I don't know what putting it on a CH does better, I'm a newb. But won't that keep my irons in tact so I could use those too?

BUIS isn't a huge thing for me, this is a range gun. I could always get them later. If mounting right on the flattop, what is the ideal mount? Do I need a spacer?

If you are convinced you want it on the CH, then the ARMS 16A is a good way to go.

If you plan to go flattop and be taking it off and on, I would suggest the Larue so it will hold a zero for you.

The spacer is only needed if you are trying to cowitness with your irons.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:00:20 AM EDT

As he said mounting on a Detachable Carry Handle. You have 3 mountings going on there. The detachable CH screwed down onto the flat top. The Mounting rail which screws down onto the detachable CH. Lastly the Aimpoint which is screwed/fastened to the mounting rail which is mounted to the carry handle which is mounted to the flat top.

Actually, you're over by (1) mount there. You can get an ARMS #16A mount which attaches directly to the carry handle.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:03:15 AM EDT
the height over bore would be greater.

but since you have a flattop why not mount it to it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 6:29:14 AM EDT by Matt_B]

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Take the carry handle off, mount it to the flat top. Line of sight will be close to line of fire, this will cut down on hold over in addition to better enabeling you to achieve a much flatter zero. You will be able to take advantage of cheek weld. You will have a wider variety of quality mounts available to you. If I thought about it longer, I could probably think of a few more reasons. What advantages would mounting it to the removale handle offer?

I've been kicking around the idea of mounting a red dot to the carry handle for short range (25 yds or less) use. My thinking is with the red dot up a little higher, you can take advantage of the slightly increased FOV. If I try this, I'm going to do it on my 9mm AR just because it's my indoor short range (25 yds or less) rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I still thinking mounting an optic directly to the flat top is always the preferred option (better cheekweld, can use the IBZ) but when people make refer to "potential issues" without an explanation, that's not very informative. Knowing that a particular approach may have potential issues isn't as helpful as knowing what those issues may be.

Now, to directly address the OP's question, there is really no advantage to mounting an optic on a removable carry handle. The cons have been covered and it is generally considered that mounting an optic to the flat top is the best way to go.

BTW, you can always chop your carry handle down to make it into a BUIS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:26:03 AM EDT

So does mounting on a flattop and having a BUIS.

BUIS isn't a huge thing for me,

Then why are you so concerned about using irons (see previous sentance)?

If mounting right on the flattop, what is the ideal mount?

LaRue LT129 (Cantelever mount with a space to hold a spare battery), my 2nd choice would be the LaRue LT150 (Comp M2 Mount).

Do I need a spacer?

Not with the LaRue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:56:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

As he said mounting on a Detachable Carry Handle. You have 3 mountings going on there. The detachable CH screwed down onto the flat top. The Mounting rail which screws down onto the detachable CH. Lastly the Aimpoint which is screwed/fastened to the mounting rail which is mounted to the carry handle which is mounted to the flat top.

Actually, you're over by (1) mount there. You can get an ARMS #16A mount which attaches directly to the carry handle.

if thats how he plans on going. But then you can't mount it on the flat top without another set of rings.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:02:40 AM EDT
Thanks for all of the help guys. I decided on a Midwest Industires Flattop mount that will co-witness when I add BUIS later.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:11:01 PM EDT

Thanks for all of the help guys. I decided on a Midwest Industires Flattop mount that will co-witness when I add BUIS later.

Good call
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:12:26 PM EDT
Top Top