Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2003 8:36:29 PM EDT
After doing a search I found nothing
is there a proper method to laser boresight a rifle?
at what range etc
or do I just follow the methods used for regular sighting in and then tune with a few rounds?
I suppose if I regularly use XM193 or QM 3131A and want to sight in using the IBZ method should I just sight it in as per  or use another method
any specific LBS out there I should use?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never used a laser bore sighter personally, never needed one.

I use a very simple method of bore sighting to get me on paper at 100 yards.  Then, once at the range I will fine tune it.

I brace whatever rifle on a hard surface (floor, table, etc..) inside my house.  I then point the weapon outside looking through the door or window and pick out something like a flower pot or so at around 50-100 yards.  

It is important that the rifle is very stable and secure from movement.

Remove the bolt or bolt carrier, and eyeball down the barrel.  Get that flower pot right in the center of view through the barrel, and secure the weapon from movement (I use a shooters vise stand thingy).

Now, I just walk the scope, red dot, or iron sight's adjustments to that same flower pot.

This method has always gotten me and my friends on paper at 100 yards.  Once you get out to the range you can fine tune it from there easily.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have found that a Laser boresighter is very useful for checking the barell for straightness, and the front sight tower for proper location. It takes the guesswork out of diagnosing problems. Just my two. [peep]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#3]
To start with, you must know the ballistic trajectory of the subject round, and what the intended zero points are. For example, let's say the round selected for a zero at 200 yds also has a near zero at 30 yds. In other words, the bullet crosses the line of sight at 30 yds, then again at 200 yds as it falls through it's trajectory. With a laser bore sighter, you simply measure the 30 yds back from most any object, then adjust the scope until it's centered on the laser dot. There is no need to hold the gun still or use any other device. This puts you roughly at 'battlesight zero'. Minor adjustments will be needed at the range. For example, this same trajectory may be about 1.8" high at 100 yds. If you shoot at 100 yds, you may need to adjust the scope a little to make sure you're on line and 1.8" high. You could then move on to the 200 yd range and try to shoot to center, which should be very close. So, if you know the characteristics of the round you're shooting and have a trajectory in mind, the laser bore sighter can definitely put you on the paper without going to the range, but if you're just guessing, the best you can do is to get the scope on line. Try this site for a great ballistics interactive calculator.
http://www.norma.cc/
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top