Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:29:10 AM EDT
My gas key came loose and Bushmaster was gracious enough to send me a new gas key (free of charge) along with screws. Bushmaster insisted that staking the key is a simple procedure and thay even I could do it and that I needn't was cash on shipping to the part to them.

I have a table vice and some wood blocks to hold the bolt carrier in place. I also have a mallet. I do not have a chisel, however.

Please direct me as to what type and size of chisel would be most appropriate for the procedure.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 7:46:04 AM EDT by eklikwhoa]
what ever should do, chisel, punch, screwdriver..........

check the troubleshooting forum or use your search function
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 9:19:57 AM EDT by Hank_Rearden1]
okay... when I searched the first time I did not see it.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=236921

Alas, it still doesn't really answer my question-- which is, what is the preferred staking tool.

Thanks anyway.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:38:16 AM EDT
Preferred tool is a dedicated machine, but the field-expedient preference is apparently a center punch.

I just haven't been able to find a center punch that's tapered sharp enough yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:38:33 AM EDT
Use a flathead screwdriver, put it at roughly a 45 degree angle, and strike sharply. You don't need to move much metal. Do it from opposite sides.

A screwdriver will work as well as anything else, and while I have the proper staking tool, you can't tell the difference after both have been used.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:41:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
Use a flathead screwdriver, put it at roughly a 45 degree angle, and strike sharply. You don't need to move much metal. Do it from opposite sides.

A screwdriver will work as well as anything else, and while I have the proper staking tool, you can't tell the difference after both have been used.

+87

It's not a critical operation. Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:16:57 PM EDT
Great input guys, thanks!
Top Top