Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 2:42:23 PM EDT
I read an article in Special Weapons for LE and Mil. It was about an M16/AR15 weapon with a gas well and progressive twist polygonal bore barrel. The article claimed among many things that the progressive twist helped eliminate friction/heat, increased velocity, and extended barrel life. Has anyone any experience with this concept and are barrels like this available to the average schmo, like me? Since it seems like solid logic, and could be a great concept for carbine shooters.  hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the article  might be about  HK's M16. the polygonal barrel is associated with HK and most of their handgun barrels are polygonal, not sure about their rifles.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, it was not HK. I'll get the mag, the premise of the article was can the current weapon platform exist into the future, without going to something like the XM8. I just thought the barrel was a great idea, and want more info on the progressive twist, since it is not a 'new' developement in the rifle world, just the M/AR line.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought I saw a progressive twist barrel being offered on the EE board just a couple of days ago.

At anyrate, Schumann barrels have progressive twist rifling and are available for pistols I know, and one 1911 being sold that uses them.  The military uses Progressive twist rifling in some cannon barrels.  The ones I saw were lined with stellite.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top