Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/1/2003 4:36:26 AM EDT
Minnesota requires a "permit to purchase" to purchase any "military style assault rifle." The process for the permit is simple enough

1. fill out form
2. give form to local police department
3. chief required by law to accept or deny within 7 days.

After 11 days I call to check on my permit and I am told it will be at least another week.

What action should I take?

a)Bend over and take it
b)Complain to the chief
c)anything else
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:44:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 4:46:33 AM EDT by BigIck]
Do you have any documentation of the date that you filed it with the Police Dept? What does the law say about them [b]Not[/b] complying with in the 7 days period? Some states with a mandatory time, state that if they do not comply within the mandatory period, it is an automatic Yes. What about yours? If the Police Chief isn't following the Law, take it up to his superior.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:49:49 AM EDT
(D) Get Out Of That State !!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:16:22 AM EDT
Write the police chief a letter, reminding him of the 7-day rule. When you send the letter, also forward a copy of it to your local pro-gun senator and/or congressman. One last thing, move to a pro-gun state. Good luck, ls
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:43:28 AM EDT
My suggestion is to not sweat it. Unless you have a need for the new rifle right away, why push it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:21:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hardcase: My suggestion is to not sweat it. Unless you have a need for the new rifle right away, why push it?
View Quote
That's right, pucker up and kiss his ass. If you rock the boat, the police chief might deny you your 2nd amendment right. He might even decide you shouldn't have your other firearms. What kind of crap is this where you need a police chiefs permission to buy a gun? Tom
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:44:22 AM EDT
Dam im glad i live in Virginia...(never thought id say that!)..................UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:45:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 8:47:36 AM EDT by neilfj]
Originally Posted By XM15M4:
Originally Posted By hardcase: My suggestion is to not sweat it. Unless you have a need for the new rifle right away, why push it?
View Quote
That's right, pucker up and kiss his ass. If you rock the boat, the police chief might deny you your 2nd amendment right. He might even decide you shouldn't have your other firearms. What kind of crap is this where you need a police chiefs permission to buy a gun? Tom
View Quote
Why is it that it seems like all [newbie]'s start their posting career on ARFCom by posting something like this? (Except for those that fill their posts with icons).
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:22:59 AM EDT
I would suggest that you simply call the Chief's secretary or clerk to verify if the application was received and if there are any problems... be nice, tell him/her that it has been over a week and you just wanted to make sure that you had done everything correctly. I would make sure not to show your ass here... trust me, if you are nice and open a dialoge, things will work much better than stirring up shit -- truth is, have you ever read the law? what does it say about 7 days? 7 working days? 7 days for review? 7 days from you submitting it? 7 days from the day it hits his desk? Just make a simple call... leave a message if that is the only option you have, I know my admin office would have an answer back to you in the same day... HIH
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:58:10 AM EDT
Ribs As a cop (in a different state), I can still tell you that the Chief has nothing to do with it. He has non-cops working in a section that deal with the permits and processing paperwork. Find out if it is really 7 days, or if there is more to it (ie 7 working days?). Next, call or drive down and explain your dilema. Let them know you had thought it was a 7 day wait and had planned accordingly. See what happens when treat people decent. I know it sucks to have to wait, and I think your state is total crap, but you might as well make the best of it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:00:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BigIck: If the Police Chief isn't following the Law, take it up to his superior.
View Quote
Probably the state AG, which could bring about a host of additional issues for you if he or she decides to simply say no.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:22:03 PM EDT
Thanks for all the help guys. The law states 7 days but, does not list any form of action that can be taken if the seven day requirement is not met. The department is very small, 5 Officers total but, I have been unable to talk directly to the chief. After calling numerous local gun shops, the reccommended course of action is Bend Over and then complain AFTER I have my permit. Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:56:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By neilfj:
View Quote
View Quote
Why is it that it seems like all [newbie]'s start their posting career on ARFCom by posting something like this? (Except for those that fill their posts with icons).
View Quote
What exactly does that have to do with being a newbie? OK, I have 10 posts and you have 800 and something. I'm sure you feel quite superior now. What an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:24:28 PM EDT
The answer is (A)bend over and take it. I agree with other that said don't pressure him. There is nothing but downside to getting him pissed. The idea of calling and asking if everything is ok and that all of the paper work is there and in proper form is a good idea. It might jog the secretaries memory that it is there waiting.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:26:37 PM EDT
It's called a filibuster...people do it all the time with this kind of stuff including CCW permits. If the police chief appears to be trying to just be a pain, I would talk to the attorney general in your area/state about contacting him. Worst case scenario you ought to be able to take it to the DA's office.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 3:31:19 PM EDT by neilfj]
Originally Posted By XM15M4: Why is it that it seems like all [newbie]'s start their posting career on ARFCom by posting something like this? (Except for those that fill their posts with icons).
View Quote
What exactly does that have to do with being a newbie? OK,
View Quote
It isn't that difficult...some newbies have a tendency to turn every issue into a 2nd Amendment issue much like you did with this.
I have 10 posts and you have 800 and something. I'm sure you feel quite superior now.
View Quote
Nope. I've always felt superior to some, but thanks for noticing. The number of posts has nothing to do with it.
What an asshole.
View Quote
Yes, you are! Good thing you picked up on this so others don't have to tell you. But most people prefer not to advertise it. Ribs, another reason to look into it in a friendly manner is that the Chief may actually be hoping that someone causes a 'stir' about this. In some towns/cities around here, the Chief's are using it as justification to fight budget cuts...they say they don't have the people to do the licensing due to cuts and additional expenses incurred due to Homeland Defense.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:58:42 PM EDT
This doesn't have anything to do with the 2nd Amendment??? I'm a newbie too -- go ahead and flame away!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:36:13 PM EDT
I live in MN too. I always deal w/ the county sheriff rather then the Police Chief. I wait about 10 days, including mail time. Part of it might be the CCW. With a lot of people getting their permits, they have a lot more forms to fill out. Remember, the permit to purchase and CCW are the same, only you need two pictures included to get the CCW. Maybe they think you want a CCW, and are waiting for the pictures? Best thing would be to call back and ask how it is going. Because of my fear of this happening, I always renew my permit after 11 months. That way I always have the new one before the old one expires. It seems to go faster w/ renewals too, but I don't know why. Good luck. Ohh, and where do you live? Just curious to see if there is another AR owner near where I live. Brad
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:40:13 PM EDT
This thread seems to be a hang out for newbies.As you can see I'm one too. You have to start sometime, no better time than the present. glimmerman68
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:52:01 PM EDT
Gunzilla is right. Just contact the Chief's office and make a positive, professional inquiry on it. Stirring up some crap as some suggest is just going to to get you a big "REFUSED" stamp. (I'm guessing you'll have little recourse after that). They are in the driver's seat and no good reason to provoke a denial. CWO
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:07:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ribs: Thanks for all the help guys. The law states 7 days but, does not list any form of action that can be taken if the seven day requirement is not met. The department is very small, 5 Officers total but, I have been unable to talk directly to the chief. After calling numerous local gun shops, the reccommended course of action is Bend Over and then complain AFTER I have my permit. Thanks again
View Quote
5 Officers total! Thats easy, just have Otis ask Andy about it, next time he goes in to lock himself up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:23:15 PM EDT
ribs, I also live in minnesota. The law here is very vauge and unclear on the "assult" weapon purchasing terms. Some shops will require you to have the pistol permit while others will not. I have bought many both ways. They both will tell you they are right and the others are breaking the law. If all else fails try another shop. From the sound of it you are from a small town like I am. Most shops in rural areas do not ask for a pistol permit. But in larger urban areas they tell you that you have to have it tac
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:55:27 PM EDT
well hell tac. that means only buy from the places that understand the true meaning of an 'assault weapon' and only buy from the ones that don't ask for a stupid piece of paper.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:30:36 PM EDT
My family and I fell victim to the same thing you did when we bought our first AR. I would say Bend Over And Take It as your option.. If the week comes around and they still delay it, then take action.. BTW what part of MN do you live in? I live near Rochester
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 7:40:27 PM EDT by 62nd_Assassin]
i'm not sure why you're wasting money on a "military-style assault weapon" when you could just buy a Bushmaster "Sporting Carbine" or "Precision Target Rifle" for the same price?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:41:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By neilfj:
What an asshole.
View Quote
Yes, you are! Good thing you picked up on this so others don't have to tell you. But most people prefer not to advertise it.
View Quote
[rolleyes] Funny, I see it the other way around. ~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:55:17 AM EDT
what are the guidelines for approving or rejecting an AW purchase permit in MN? is it like CCW where there are "shall issue" and "may issue" laws? is it even legal for the chief to reject your application for no good reason? i.e. u call to complain?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:29:18 AM EDT
I live in Dayton a small rural NW suburb of Minneapolis. I stopped by the police station last night and inquired about my application. The officer on duty said everything was in order but, the ONLY officer that handles the applications was on vacation and I will have to wait until he returns. I politely asked about the seven day law and he shrugged his soldiers. Moral of the story, I am just going to have to wait. Thanks for the support
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:10:10 AM EDT
When I turn in my purchase permit paperwork they always tell me it may take up to 10 working days. I have renewed it several times and it has taken a full 2 weeks on occasion. The purchase permit is for handguns and military style rifles. The dealer has a list of rifles that this applies to. For instance you would need the permit for an AR but not a Mini-14. I presented my purchase permit when buying a Keltec SUB2000, and my dealer told me he didn't need it because it was not on the list. You would also need the permit to buy a shotgun with a pistol grip. Since it can't be shouldered they have to treat it like a handgun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:57:42 AM EDT
The CCW permit in GA is "Shall Issue" and has a 60-day mandatory issue, but they will tell you on day 1 that it takes 3-4 months to run the background checks. I find it pretty sad that the government doesn't follow their own laws - if it's going to take longer they should change the law. The good thing is that the law at least gives the judge the power to go ahead and issue you one if he feels it's taking too long. Mine took 5 months and still hadn't come back, so I politely asked the judge if he'd take advantage of that law and he said "sure".
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:19:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jzdziarski: The CCW permit in GA is "Shall Issue" and has a 60-day mandatory issue, but they will tell you on day 1 that it takes 3-4 months to run the background checks. I find it pretty sad that the government doesn't follow their own laws - if it's going to take longer they should change the law. The good thing is that the law at least gives the judge the power to go ahead and issue you one if he feels it's taking too long. Mine took 5 months and still hadn't come back, so I politely asked the judge if he'd take advantage of that law and he said "sure".
View Quote
I'm in Gwinnett, only took like 6-7 weeks to get mine back. I was told 3-4 months as well. It came so fast, I wasn't expecting it. I almost threw it out in the trash with a bunch of junkmail. ~ s0ulzer0
Top Top