Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:09:35 PM EDT
I have one of the 16" cmmg group buy barrels with the out of spec gas port, though I have aligned it properly I'm having problems with failure to extract as an empty shell would occasionally get stuck on the chamber. I end up using a cleaning rod on the other end of the barrel  to push the shell out. The part of the shell where the extractor grabs onto has been ripped, making a 2nd or 3rd try to extract the shell using the bolt impossible. what could be the cause of this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It could possibly be that the chamber needs some polishing as it was reported that some of those barrels had rough chambers. I have one myself but have had no issues with it to this point. I would contact CMMG about this and as they have stated they will take care of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Chamber issues was why Adco dumped them for about $150 a while ago. Try polishing them, and call up CMMG. Sorry that there are not any better options
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
How would one go about polishing the chamber?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]
No slam at eyxxx or anyone in particular but I've seen people post about something being wrong with their weapon, magazine, etc without having tried to remedy it or at least just contact their manufacturer or dealer.  Every company can't check every thread and they may end up looking like they are doing nothing or neglecting a client over such an issue.  What if someone from CMMG didn't see this thread and say "hey, if we need to do something to make it right, tell us."?  Again, nothing against eyxxx, I'm talking about this happening in genreal.  It is often the natural first reflex to come post something about a problem you're having.  I may be wrong and I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

TS
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
what ammo were you using too btw?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to make things clear I'm in no way against cmmg as I have had dealt with them a couple of times before and their service is superb. That said I initially concluded its a barrel problem but did consider other possibilities like the bolt or gas system and its my intention to get it going right rather than returning it, thus my post.

To those who are more experienced with the system is my problem barrel related or could be something else?

Ammo I'm using is standard 55gr M193  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I have never heard but the best from CMMG's CS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
What kind of gas system? Carbine, midlength or other?

You said the gas port was out of spec, but you say you realigned it?? Would you elaborate?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What kind of gas system? Carbine, midlength or other?

You said the gas port was out of spec, but you say you realigned it?? Would you elaborate?

He meant gas port location, it is 1/8" in wrong place (measured from bbl extension).

MN
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I was told a way to polish up the chamber is to attach a chamber brush onto a power drill and puting some lube on the brush. Put the brush into the chamber and turn the drill on low and polish the chamber. I would only do this once all other possiblities are eliminated as causes of the problem. You will have to dis assemble the barrel and secure it in a vice. It would probably be easier to send it back to CMMG but if you want to try this yourself, this is what I heard needed to be done to some of the barrels. Good Luck, I hope it works out for you!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Call John or Jeff, and they'll take care of it.  I had the same problem with mine.  I live close enough to them that I sometime go to the shoots that they host.  I polished the chamber my self, but John insisted on looking at it and ck'ing it out for himself.  I did a little polishing of his own, and I've never had a problem since.

Call them................
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, same problem with mine.  

Ran a chamber brush through it, dipping in motor oil, chucked up in a power drill.  (3 times actually--on separate occasions, with less than 1000 rounds through the barrel).  

Worked great.  

Never has failed to extract since the last "treatment."  

Still shoots minute of bowling pin at 200 yards.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I agree.  

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Given their reply above, I would have to concur.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top