Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2006 2:10:54 PM EDT
I bought a TangoDown verticle grip and am having difficulty installing it.  I have been unable to fit the grip onto the bottom rail of my forend.    

The literature that came with grip reads that it must be used with MIL-STD 1913 rails.  The rail manufacturer's website describes the rails on my forend as being: MIL-STD 1913 rails.

Nonetheless, it appeas the grip will not fit the rail.

Has anyone experience this before?  Is the problem more likely to be the rails, the grip or the installer?  Is there a trick to installing these?

Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
More detail needed. The TD I installed was pretty tight and hard to slide on the Surefire M-73 rails, but I got them on. After they were install the two clips that holds them on were to loose so the TD grip was slighty rocking> I fixed that by inserting two plastic screw wall anchors.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
More detail... the grip does not fit over the end of the rail.   Maybe I need to apply more force?  I somewhat afraid of breaking something.

Any other suggestions/thoughts/observations/personal experiences/etc. are appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
the cross bars that lock it to the rail can be easly held down by the end of a small zip tie.
they are always tight, and need some amount of force. That being said a little light sanding and or lube might help you out. and if that does not work there is always a B I G    H A M M E R  ! ! !

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a dremmel to shave the tango down grip down as a check with some calipers showed both rails and grip tobe slightly off spec....fixed by shaving very carefullly with dremmel cutting wheel....the grip was more off spec then the rails.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I met with several friends today, all of whom have ARs of one type or another and all of whom have railed handguards.  The TangoDown verticle grip fit perfectly on each of my friends' handguards.  Also their verticle grips would not fit on mine.

We tried putting some grease on my TangoDown and heating it with a heat gun.  I also smoothed out any roughness on my verticle grip's contact points to ensure that isn't the problem.

I guess I just out of luck.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The DT grip is plastic ..... Just sand/file it a little, and it will fit .

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same issue installing a TD vert grip on a set of MI 2 piece hand guards.

carefull sanding is what I did to get a nice snug fit that I can still take off/put on by hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Be careful when removing material surface from those polymer grips, in time the fit will become very sloppy and loose if you do...

They are suppose to be tight going on the first time... The few Ive installed were tight, but I had to use a mallet to carefully tap the VFG onto the rail and it worked out great...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top