Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:09:21 PM EDT
I just installed my magpul 93a on my bushy lower and DPMS upper, everything seems to have installed fine. Although I did notice that it is alittle difficult getting the upper and lower lined up to install the pin.

But my real problem is, I can't pull the charging handle back to load the weapon. It will come back about 2" and then stop.

I used the stock spring and buffer, which from what I understand is possible.

Anyone have a idea of what the problem could be?

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 7:21:52 PM EDT by TexasGunman]
What buffer you using? car buffer or the reg long buffer?

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:33:34 PM EDT
Its a XM15 E2S 16" with a pinned stock. So I'm thinking it'll be the regular lenght buffer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:45:01 PM EDT
You need a short buffer.

You also may need to shave down the receiver extension. It's what I had to do as well. In order to get the extension in far enough to hold the buffer retainer in I had to screw it in so far that the receivers wouldn't close. A quick blast with the dremel fixed me right up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:31:36 PM EDT
Dumb question, but i'm going to ask anyway. Since this is my first AR. What portion is the receiver extention? Is that on the receiver or the buffer tub?

Where is a good place to pick up a short buffer at?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:38:49 PM EDT
the receiver extension is what some people call the buffer tube. It's the piece of the magpul that actually screws into the back of your receiver.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:54:23 PM EDT
The "pinned" fake collapsible stock uses a regular (full-size) buffer and recoil spring. You need a carbine or collapsible stock (short) buffer and recoil spring. They told you that you could use your existing buffer and spring because they thought you had a "real" collapsible stock. And as stated the buffer tube is correctly called a "Receiver Extension" as it extends from the rear of the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:03:01 PM EDT
Also, the buffer tube or receiver extension is the part with the male threads that screws into the lower receiver's female threads at the very back. Collapsible stocks and fake "pinned" stocks have the receiver extension built into them...the black tube with the threads on the buttstock IS the extension. If you look down at the part that is threaded into the lower receiver (the part with the serial numbers on it) you will be able to see if some of the threads are extending into the area where the upper receiver closes, sometimes these receiver extensions will be a tad too long and prevent the upper from closing properly. As stated in the previous post all you have to do is file, dremel, or sand down the part that is preventing the upper from closing. But be careful not to cut the part that holds the little pin and spring (buffer detent and spring) in place...just cut the top part that interferes with the upper until flush with the lower receiver's threads.
Top Top