Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2005 4:38:48 PM EDT
Well as some of you may know I got my 1st parts STAG stripped lower,STAG m4 complete upper,RRA lpk and 6 pos stock a few weeks ago and last saturday I put it all together.

Well today was the momoment of truth with my creation and I went to the range and put 60 rd's through it and went home but when I got home and began to diassemble it to see if anything looked funny and give the barrel a quick wipe down a problem arose.

I wanted to diassemble the bolt and carrier to remove some carbon and stagger the gas rings but as I removed the firing pin retainer and firing pin I rotated the cam pin and moved the bolt reward in the carrier to lift out the cam pin.

Heres the problem the cam pin is partiallly blocked by the carrier key.

Arrrrrggggghhh

I scared the crap out of my lab(swearing like a sailor on shore leave).

When I received the upper and looked at the inspectors tag I took the bolt out of the carrier briefly to clean the bolt face and give the internal's a quick lube. The bolt was put back in the upper and returned to battery. Nothing felt out of the ordinary(all this happened last saturday).

Today I took it out of the safe an removed the bolt to run a dry patch down the bore to remove the coat of oil I had put in last saturday and put it back together again. Then I went to the range and bought 3 boxes of Winchester(Q3131A)55gr FMJ and proceeded to shoot for a 1hr & 1/2. The rifle always went banged and grouped nicely.

The rifle fired the 1st time I pulled the trigger and nothing felt funny at all or was out of whack. So I continued to fire the remaining rounds over the following 1hr & 1/2.

Last target of the day 100yds

Question is how do I fix this problem.

#1 E-mail/call STAG arms and let them know I have a problem with their carrier. Are their upper's even under warranty or just their complete gun's?

#2 Buy another bolt?

#3 Let the store I bought this from know theirs a problem.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2005 8:35:26 PM EDT by Dano523]
The relief section on the key was not milled deep enough (read is you have to beat it in, it's going to take a hammer to get it back out).

To correct the problem, take a jewelers file and take the the milled section in the key a few more MM deeper to allow the key to escape by hand. As for screwing with the cam, forget about it, it’s a harden part and chances are harder than the file that you would be trying to use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:23:43 AM EDT
Well I got hold of STAG arms and sent pic's of the problem and inspector's tag this morning before work and not even 4 hours later they reponded to my message.

They siad to just send the carrier assembly back and they'll replace it with another.

YEAH!!!!

Customer service and parts support are A+.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:38:19 PM EDT
Are they send a call tag to pick the carrier up, or are you footing the bill for the shipping charges back to them?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:59:42 PM EDT
Glad to hear they are standing behind their product but this is distressing.

It should be right the first time.

Is this typical for "non contract" manufacturers when they stick their own or another 2nd/3rd tier label on their products?

Is this industry standard?

If so, maybe the Colt fanatics are right.

OK, back to Troubleshooting. Nice to know the fix. 2nd time this has come up in this forum in the past few days. Makes me wonder about difficulty of manufacturing gas key.

Rick

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:06:43 PM EDT

Are they send a call tag to pick the carrier up, or are you footing the bill for the shipping charges back to them?

No they didnt mention anything about a call tag.

But like everything else I send somewhere it's gonna be on my company's FED-EX account. So I guess its on them.

MUWAHAHAHAHA

2nd time this has come up in this forum in the past few days.

Say what?

2nd time its been metioned?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:18:15 PM EDT
Rick_Lind and KBI,
Stick around long enough and you will see that over the years, there have many problems with Keys made incorrectly. You have to remember that most of the suppliers buy there parts from just a few subcontractors, so when the problem hits one supplier, it tends to be a problem for all of the supplies that do not QC the parts well enough when they receive them.

As for the Colt remark, now you know why we get on a positive tangent about them. As stated, they buy from the same place as everyone else; it's just that they have a QC department that checks the parts very closely to make sure what they buy, use to build, and send out are correct (read like 99.9%).
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:09:15 AM EDT
Top Top