Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:42:30 AM EDT
Hi all, I was wondering: In getting any type of 16" AR, are there any advantages whatsoever to getting an M4 style barrel as opposed to an HBAR carbine?  Or is the M4 style barrel just meant to be a way for manufacturers to make more money?  Also, in 20" rifles, similar question.  Is there any advantage in HBAR over Gov't profile barrels?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Old debate. Some say HBARs are more accurate than the profiled barrels. Others say no.

I would say the biggest advantage of both profiled barrels is the weight savings under the handguards. HBARs, expecially in 20", can get pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi all, I was wondering: In getting any type of 16" AR, are there any advantages whatsoever to getting an M4 style barrel as opposed to an HBAR carbine?  Or is the M4 style barrel just meant to be a way for manufacturers to make more money?  Also, in 20" rifles, similar question.  Is there any advantage in HBAR over Gov't profile barrels?  Thanks!

HBARs are just that, heavy.  very heavy.  you would be better served with a lighter profile.  there will be no measurable reduction in accuracy.  it is much cheaper for a manufacturer to make an HBAR than an M4 barrel.  personally, i would never get an HBAR 16".  

see
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=271434
and
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=268594

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everybody, helps a lot!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HBARs are just that, heavy.  very heavy.  you would be better served with a lighter profile.  there will be no measurable reduction in accuracy.  it is much cheaper for a manufacturer to make an HBAR than an M4 barrel.  personally, i would never get an HBAR 16".  

see
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=271434
and
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=268594

ar-jedi

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/ar15/DSCN0972_sm.jpg

+1
the extra weight savings is worth the govt
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the one you like - the weight savings is not enough to make a big deal about.  Mine is a 16" HBAR for duty.  My next one will probably be a M4 profile so people at the range will mistake me for an uber -tactical SF member.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both hbar and gov profile 20"ers. I like both but if I could have just one it would be the gov profile. The thing with accuracy is noticable until things get hot. The gov's point of impact will shift quite a bit when as things heat up but the weight reduction is worth it to me. I don't feel I can put an aluminum railed HG on my hbar and keep the weapon in balance. I have a YHM 2 pc railed HG on my gov profile barrel and it's still light and handy as compared with the hbar and plastic HG's. If you plan on using a scope on a 20" I'd go the hbar.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top