BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2014 4:27:01 AM EDT
It states they are guaranteed for life

I'm new but never heard of them.

Are these magazines good?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_24/1278389_ProMag_30_round_AR_15_magazines__Starting_at__7_21_ea_.html

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The PMag crowd will be along shortly.  I personally like the NHTG, OKay, and Colt, USGI mags.  I've never run a ProMag in an AR but, had some issues in another.

Edit: I'd also steer clear of CTD, it took them 4 weeks to ship an Shotgun that was "In Stock"
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have about a dozen of the ProMags and have never had an issue.  I also have Pmags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If they're on sale give one a shot. The Pmags and Tapco ones are better IMO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't touch those unless the price were just over half that, and then only for range use.
For a couple dollars more you can get P-Mags and some of the actual USGI mags. Something proven to work the vast majority of the time, not proven to be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The Pro-Mags have a somewhat "iffy" reputation, so since you can buy top quality Brownell's aluminum mags for about $10.00 and top of the line P-Mags for just a bit more, it just makes sense to buy the top quality mags and pass on the suspect low end mags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My 40 round promag doesn't work.

Eh maybe ill try it again.. thats about the worse that has happened.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a clear lancer mag =)
I like those.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm going to say no, but hear me out.  i paid $12 a piece for 3 of them back during the panic at a LGS.  thought i was getting an awesome deal because you couldnt find mags anywhere and the ones you found were $20+.  they cycle fine, but 2 of the 3 wont drop out of the magwell when they're empty.  all of my pmags drop right out, load or unloaded.  i can nowfind pmags for $10-$12 for gen2 and sometimes 3's and i see the pro mags for $8-$10, i'll spend the extra few bucks and just get a pmag.  i will use the 3 pro mags i have at the range, but i sure as shit wouldnt trust my life to them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i'm going to say no, but hear me out.  i paid $12 a piece for 3 of them back during the panic at a LGS.  thought i was getting an awesome deal because you couldnt find mags anywhere and the ones you found were $20+.  they cycle fine, but 2 of the 3 wont drop out of the magwell when they're empty.  all of my pmags drop right out, load or unloaded.  i can nowfind pmags for $10-$12 for gen2 and sometimes 3's and i see the pro mags for $8-$10, i'll spend the extra few bucks and just get a pmag.  i will use the 3 pro mags i have at the range, but i sure as shit wouldnt trust my life to them.
View Quote
I've had a somewhat different experience as my Promags drop free more reliably than Pmag Gen3s.  They also lock up in the mag well more reliably...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I would say no just because Pro Mag has a bad rep and Gen 2 Pmags can be found on sale for $9.99.  Not enough savings to be worth the risk.  If the mag sucks, you didn't save $3 over a PMag, It cost you $7 for a worthless magazine.  Also, Aluminum magazines with Magpul followers can routinely be found for under $10 ea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Not USGI mags, but also a GREAT aluminum mag.  10 shipped, to may area, for less 100.00

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/magazines/rifle-magazines/dh-5-56-30rd-aluminum-mag.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not USGI mags, but also a GREAT aluminum mag.  10 shipped, to may area, for less 100.00

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/magazines/rifle-magazines/dh-5-56-30rd-aluminum-mag.html
View Quote

or cheaper in a 10 pack http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-d-h-5-56mm-30rd-aluminum-magazine-black-teflon-foliage-green-follower-10-pack.html

These are great mags, Pro-mag has a questionable reputation. Some are good, some suck. Magpul Pmags on the other hand are good to go, not to be confused with Pro Mag.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't buy a pro mag product.  I usually use D&H or PMAG's for my AR's.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I had three pro mag 20 rounders and two of them did not work...I got rid of them all.

I have used NHTG and Pmags alot with no problems at all ... both are great mags.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The PMag crowd will be along shortly.  I personally like the NHTG, OKay, and Colt, USGI mags.  I've never run a ProMag in an AR but, had some issues in another.

Edit: I'd also steer clear of CTD, it took them 4 weeks to ship an Shotgun that was "In Stock"
View Quote
But it only took them 1 day to help create a panic but raising prices 1000% on mags and ammo.
Lancers, PMags, USGI, all good.  No experience with promag. Buddy had a 60 rounder or some such. Don't remember it working that great but those things rarely do.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
All of the 30 round polymer ProMags I got during the last panic ($12) have performed flawlessly...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top