Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:28:51 PM EDT
Looking for some advice about my rifle. I just installed a David Tubb's CS Flat-Wire buffer spring in my LMT 16" AR with RRA six position collapsible stock. It has CMT FCG. When I charge the rifle the bolt is going into battery with enough force to dimple the primer on the round ni the chamber. I must admit I'm a little concerned about this. Does anyone have any advice or a similar experience? Am I taking my life in my hands by using this spring? It is lot more powerful and consistent than any other spring I have ever seen. I really want to use it, but am worried.
Any help appreciated.

2IDdoc
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 5:35:25 PM EDT by pun]
The firing pin will dimple a primer no matter what spring is used.Repeated chamberings with the same round can eventually result in a negligent discharge.I use the stock spring.When I wanted more positive chambering and extraction I went to the heavier 9mm buffer.Free floating firing pins will do that..has nothing to do with the spring.Mine does the same thing with a standard spring and buffer....thats just the AR way of things.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:36:02 PM EDT
M1, M14 M16 all have a floating fring pin. What your seeing is normal. Ths is why tou never slame the bolt closed one a live round already in the chamber in any of these rifles. It is verry rare, but the rifle can fire.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:41:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pun:
The firing pin will dimple a primer no matter what spring is used.Repeated chamberings with the same round can eventually result in a negligent discharge.I use the stock spring.When I wanted more positive chambering and extraction I went to the heavier 9mm buffer.Free floating firing pins will do that..has nothing to do with the spring.Mine does the same thing with a standard spring and buffer....thats just the AR way of things.

Thanks for the info Pun. This new spring is pretty cool. It is designed for the .223 round. It is advertised as having a 1,000,000 cycle life, unlike a standard wire spring that only lasts for about 5,000 rounds before it starts becoming inefficient. It delays bolt unlocking for lower pressures, smooths out the recoil cycle, and makes the bolt carrier velocities more consistent. It's pretty cool. It sounds like that is why you are going with the 9mm buffer spring too. I think this spring will last longer than the 9mm version, and is probably lighter(not that that makes much difference).
Now that I think about it, my old spring dimpled the rounds too, just like you said. Guess I forgot. Thanks for re-teaching me a safety lesson.
2IDdoc
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:11:20 PM EDT
I gotta tell you man..that after 12000 rounds my original spring is still pretty sufficient.Ive been using the 9mm buffer for the last 4000 rounds.No problem doc..I only learned of this type of discharge from rechambered rounds a few months ago from here when some one in iraq posted his experience.The 9mm buffer makes my carbine feel as you describe yours with the stiffer spring.I wonder how the 9mm buffer and a spring like yours would be..Hmmmmm
Top Top