Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 1:06:21 PM EDT
Anybody know what used preban USGI mags are going for in the banned states? Like CA, MD, MA, NY, NJ?

Anybody know the law regarding interstate transfer of high cap mags?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
two of the states you mentioned don't even have a ban on Post-ban mags
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt preban mags are selling in CA right now.  Not legally anyways.
Edit-No interstate transfer of high cap mags in CA.  A resident of CA can not import them into the state either.

To possess high cap mags in CA, they had to have been in YOUR possession in CA prior to Jan 1, 2000.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Which two states?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I doubt preban mags are selling in CA right now.  Not legally anyways.
Edit-No interstate transfer of high cap mags in CA.  A resident of CA can not import them into the state either.

To possess high cap mags in CA, they had to have been in YOUR possession in CA prior to Jan 1, 2000.

I know about CA, should have edited that. But what are the laws for interstate sale by mail to these states? I know the laws for NY, but need to know how much they are selling for. I got loads of USGI preban mags to unload.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which two states?

MD, NJ

MD only prohibits the purchase of mags higher than 20 rounds within the state.  
NJ just has 15rd limit law.  No mags higher than 15rds are allowed in the state.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which two states?

MD, NJ

NJ just has 15rd limit law.  No mags higher than 15rds are allowed in the state.

I should have clarified that better. Those states have limits on post-ban high cap 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which two states?

MD, NJ

I should have clarified that better. Those states have limits on post-ban high cap 30 round mags.

There is no pre/post-ban in Maryland.  You cannot sell or transfer a magazine of greater than 20 rounds no matter when it was made in MD.  They don't have a date oriented ban, and thus won't have special prices.  And when it comes to prices in MD, they just buy out of state at normal going rates since it is legal to posses them in the state.  Again, no date restriction.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which two states?

MD, NJ

There is no pre/post-ban in Maryland.  You cannot sell or transfer a magazine of greater than 20 rounds no matter when it was made in MD.  They don't have a date oriented ban, and thus won't have special prices.  And when it comes to prices in MD, they just buy out of state at normal going rates since it is legal to posses them in the state.  Again, no date restriction.

I want to make sure I got this right. Somebody in Maryland cannot buy, sell, or transfer a 30 rounder within the state. But they can buy from another state and then legally possess a 30 round magazine in Maryland. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which two states?

MD, NJ

I want to make sure I got this right. Somebody in Maryland cannot buy, sell, or transfer a 30 rounder within the state. But they can buy from another state and then legally possess a 30 round magazine in Maryland. Is this correct?

Correct. People in MD go to PA or VA gunshows to buy 30-rd mags all the time. You can bring them in, apparently; you just can't transfer them IN the state. Doesn't accomplish jack, quite frankly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which two states?

MD, NJ

Correct. People in MD go to PA or VA gunshows to buy 30-rd mags all the time. You can bring them in, apparently; you just can't transfer them IN the state. Doesn't accomplish jack, quite frankly.

That is also my understanding of MD law which makes about as much sense as all of the other anti gun laws.
Living in NJ most of my life I know the laws all to well and the post above is correct.  It doesn't matter if it's pre or no ban if the mag holds over 15rds than it's illegal.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
In MA as long as they are pre-ban high caps people are good to go when it comes to buying, possessing, or having them sent into the state.  A quality USGI Mag in good condition would probably fetch $16 or $17, again this is for high quality mags (Okay, Labelle, Center Ind.)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Maryland passed their 1986 Gun Violence Act that included the phrase:

- it's illegal to buy, sell or transfer magazines with a capacity greater than 20 rounds

The MDSP will even tell you to go out of state to buy high (regular) capacity mags.

Perfectly legal to own in Merryland.

I would argue that if you bought some out of state, and you pay the shipping, you legally own them, and they are just returning your property, but I'm not a lawyer.....

I do offer to let Marylanders ship to my home in PA, and I will meet them on the PA side of the line on I-83 to give them their new toys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Maryland passed their 1986 Gun Violence Act that included the phrase:

- it's illegal to buy, sell or transfer magazines with a capacity greater than 20 rounds

The MDSP will even tell you to go out of state to buy high (regular) capacity mags.

Perfectly legal to own in Merryland.

I would argue that if you bought some out of state, and you pay the shipping, you legally own them, and they are just returning your property, but I'm not a lawyer.....

I do offer to let Marylanders ship to my home in PA, and I will meet them on the PA side of the line on I-83 to give them their new toys.

Thats rediculous! I thought the NY ban on high caps was stupid. Here we can buy or sell any magazine made prior to 9/94. But cant have anything made after that. Whats the difference between these? Absolutely nothing!

This does absolutely nothing in the short run. But just like California, fast forward twenty years from now and see how easy it will be to get any high cap mags in NY. Guarantee they will be like gold by then.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top