Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2002 2:35:23 PM EDT
This is probably a rookie question, but once again, I've searched for an answer and can't locate one:

Why are Colt 20 round mags priced higher than their 30 rounders?

Granted, it's only a couple bucks difference, but the dealer at the show today had 30's for $25 NIW, and 20's for $28.

-DE
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That's kind of odd - in my experience, it's much harder to find 30-round mags with Colt floorplates than 20-rd Colt mags.

Are you sure the "Colt" 30-rd mags actually were Colt mags (with the pony symbol on the floorplate, etc.) and not the bogus Colts without the pony?

If they're the real deal, buy them up! (And send me some [:D] )

Gabe
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In general, there are many more 30 rounders than 20 rounders. The army only used 20 rounders for about a decade. The 30 rounders have been in use for 20+ years.

As to Colt, there is no reason to buy Colt mags if they cost more than other USGI mags. The premium for the Colts are for floorplates only.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There were indeed genuine Colt floorplates, though I didn't check the mag bodies for the "CI"

I'll bring extra cash next time I go and will verify the mag bodies - he's a regular show dealer.

As to purchasing Colt, I agree, it's just for the name and resale value.  For my shooters, I prefer used non-Colt USGI mags.

-DE
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top