Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:39:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 5:40:16 PM EST by kcrangle]
I'm going to build a rifle into an SBR, and because I'm going to register the lower, I want it to be something that I can feel good owning for a long time.

Have been looking at Mega and Black Rain Ordinance, mostly the BRO because they are local to me here in Missouri.

Is there anything out there in the "under $225" price range for a stripped lower that is worth considering? Any reason to choose mega over bro or vice versa. I just want longevity, and high quality fit and finish. I want this to be a very very solid feeling SBR pdw weapon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:53:46 PM EST
If you want maximum durability, get a normal forged lower and save yourself a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:14 PM EST
Noveske makes some nice products that would suit your needs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:17 PM EST
Mega forged lower.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:08:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By crazymoose:
If you want maximum durability, get a normal forged lower and save yourself a hundred bucks.

Get an AXTS A-DAC-F lower.......when their available again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:13:46 AM EST
Why forged over billet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:32:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 6:32:33 AM EST by crazymoose]
Originally Posted By kcrangle:
Why forged over billet?

Forged is stronger. Having said that, I've never seen a good billet lower break. However, if you want maximum strength, forged 7075T6 is as strong as you can get, short of one of the stainless steel lowers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:46:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 10:51:13 AM EST by AlphaOperator]
Why forged over billet?

All other things being equal, and in basic terms, forged aluminum is stronger than billet, but as most billet receivers are thicker in many areas, I imagine there's not too much difference in terms of strength. BTW- I'm no metallurgist.

That said, I have never seen a billet lower break from being "weak". Both billet and forged receivers can & will eventually fail with extreme abuse/misuse. Everything has a breaking point, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you plan on driving over your rifle with your truck daily.

Maybe some who are more well versed can chime in.

EDIT- I use to think that I had to have billet, but I actually prefer my forged AXTS lower. ( I still own a Mega billet lower from when they first came out.....got a matched receiver set with s/n 1x.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:24:15 AM EST
Is there any difference between

Noveske
LaRue

or what is the highest quality billet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:38:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By StripPoker388:

Noveske
LaRue

Noveske is forged
Larue is billet
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:03:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 2:06:31 PM EST by Essayons]
I'm going to build a rifle into an SBR, and because I'm going to register the lower, I want it to be something that I can feel good owning for a long time.

Have been looking at Mega and Black Rain Ordinance, mostly the BRO because they are local to me here in Missouri.

Is there anything out there in the "under $225" price range for a stripped lower that is worth considering? Any reason to choose mega over bro or vice versa. I just want longevity, and high quality fit and finish. I want this to be a very very solid feeling SBR pdw weapon.

If it's in spec. and doesn't have any special features (e.g. ambi bolt release) you're paying for the roll mark and other cosmetic features. If that's the case, why not one of these:

http://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=39&pr=321 - Billet, nice roll mark and ambi bolt release . . .

http://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=39&pr=327
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:01:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By jtdam24:

Noveske
LaRue

Noveske is forged
Larue is billet

thanks

So what would compare with the Larue in quality and LOOKS?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:40:23 PM EST

Noveske
LaRue

Noveske is forged
Larue is billet

thanks

IIRC, a SMOS lower might be what your after....if they still make them
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:22:45 AM EST
I just picked up two Rainier Arms lowers, really nice. I love the roll marks, and the logo on the front of the mag well. I think they are made by Mega.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:09:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 6:10:27 AM EST by StripPoker388]
Originally Posted By AlphaOperator:

Noveske
LaRue

Noveske is forged
Larue is billet

thanks

IIRC, a SMOS lower might be what your after....if they still make them

Thanks,The smos looks pretty good,

this one is pretty cool
http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX762

billet

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:10:31 PM EST
In the world of billet, it's mostly looks over function. That said, I bought a BRO upper/lower based solely on looks. The whole strength arguement is wholly overrated. No pooled of broken billet or forged lowers to quantify either side. If you want a SBR that looks like everybody else's...get the forged. Want something that's a little different and worth all the extra effort and money (NFA tax and paperwork) than get the billet. The AXTS or ARFcom lowers look good and come with extra features. Get what you want, not someone else's opinion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:49:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 6:52:45 PM EST by jtdam24]
If I were gonna go billet I'd get the AXTS
If you decide to get forged the Noveske Gen 2 is just awesome.
If the Noveske is a little to spendy Mega forged lowers are very nice as well, or if you want the SOPMOD buttstock kit, 2 stage trigger and ambi controls look at the KAC SR15E3 lowers. After you price out what's included the lower itself is very cheap.
Here's a Noveske Gen 2 I just had cerakoted
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:32:16 PM EST
That Noveske lower sure looks nice.

I think having a lower made in your own state has a little Cool Factor.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:39:00 PM EST
I have a BRO lower on my most recent build, perfect function, awesome looks, dig it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:18:10 AM EST
With a lower, given its not some Rguns, Blackthorne, kind of product, all you are really paying for is the roll mark and whatever cosmetic features are on it. Yes some are stronger than others, but in most cases this doesnt matter.

PSA has some cheap lowers that are also very strong and in spec, Spikes Tactical makes some good ones, LaRue, LMT, Noveske, BCM, and RRA are also good contenders.

So choose your favorite roll mark, compare strength, evaluate price, then buy.

This is just my 2 cents. The basement experts can feel free to correct whatever I posted..
Top Top