Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 2:34:35 PM EST
Hi,
I recently got a used pre-ban Colt Ar15 rifle used and it came with a 20" Colt upper with no bayonet lug and a cage flash suppressor.

I don't really like the 20" barrel length and I would much prefer a 16" configuration, but the price was good so I got it just to get a pre-ban before the laws in my state change yet again.

Does anyone has a recomendation for good uppers?

If I get 16" Colt upper, would that help the value of the gun or does it not matter if I keep it all Colt or not.

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:53:52 PM EST
If you like light setups then check out BCM's lightweight uppers. You can add the BCM BCG but it's a little expensive at $220 so I got a Spike's BCG for $140.

BCM 16" Mid Length Leight Weight
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:05:00 PM EST
Changing the upper automatically deducts from it collectability, so I wouldn't worry about just looking for a Colt upper. Find the upper you like, and retain the old upper in case you ever sell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:12:41 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:
Changing the upper automatically deducts from it collectability, so I wouldn't worry about just looking for a Colt upper. Find the upper you like, and retain the old upper in case you ever sell.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:52:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By ProGunInCt:
Hi,
I recently got a used pre-ban Colt Ar15 rifle used and it came with a 20" Colt upper with no bayonet lug and a cage flash suppressor.

I don't really like the 20" barrel length and I would much prefer a 16" configuration, but the price was good so I got it just to get a pre-ban before the laws in my state change yet again.

Does anyone has a recomendation for good uppers?

If I get 16" Colt upper, would that help the value of the gun or does it not matter if I keep it all Colt or not.

Thanks for any help.

View Quote

First check the pivot pin size on your Colt AR.

Does it have the large 0.315" diameter pivot pin or the standard small 0.250"?

If it is a large size pivot pin there are adapters to attach a small size pivot pin uppers on a large size pin lower.

Take a look at the AR15.com Equipment Exchange (link is on the top right orange color button on the web pages or follow my hot link below), there are good value take off from brand new to slightly used 16" carbine uppers that you might like, good brands are Colt, BCM, LMT, PSA, Spike's Tactical, etc.

Equipment Exchange - link

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:00:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 5:01:59 PM EST by ProGunInCt]
Thanks for all the info.

I was definitely planning to keep the 20", it's just a little cumbersome for me.

I will probably change the standard solid stock out to something much cooler, again, keeping any and all stock parts.

Spike's was mentioned, is the quality decent, I have heard BCM is very good.

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate the knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:14:47 PM EST
Thanks for all the info.

I was definitely planning to keep the 20", it's just a little cumbersome for me.

I will probably change the standard solid stock out to something much cooler, again, keeping any and all stock parts.

Spike's was mentioned, is the quality decent, I have heard BCM is very good.

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate the knowledge.
View Quote

Spikes, Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske are all excellent quality uppers that highly recommend.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:21:21 PM EST
Might be easier just to get this instead of messing with pin sizes on that lower

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine.html

Use that with the 16" upper and remember the ARFcom motto.... 1 AR is none and 2 is 1
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:21:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 6:23:36 PM EST by ProGunInCt]
I live by the 1 is none and 2 is one motto.

But my wife prefers her motto.

1 is too many and 2 is 2 too many

So I didn't get far with my amended motto, three is none and 4 is one

Luckily she understands the limited avaliablity and investment value of the pre-ban situation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:25:20 PM EST
I live by the 1 is none and 2 is one motto.

But my wife prefers her motto.

1 is too many and 2 is 2 too many

So I didn't get far with my amended motto, three is none and 4 is one

Luckily she understands the limited avaliablity and investment value of the pre-ban situation.
View Quote

That and I just noticed where your at, so I doubt you can get the lower anyway
Top Top