Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 12/21/2011 8:12:39 PM EDT
Not trying to start a sh1tstorm here, but want honest and candid talk about 2 rifles from solid companies

I am buying another AR. I really like the RUC from what I've seen so far, but they dont have any and wont for a few more weeks from my understanding. Larue seems to be able to at least take your order and get one in your hands relatively quick.

RUC - 1295.00 Comes with iron sights, Geissele, 6.5 lbs, forged receivers

PredatAR - 1495.00 Comes with no sights, Geissele, 6.25 lbs, billet receivers

I know the RUC is not necessarily proven yet since it has not been out for that long and I have seen limited feedback on them. Rainier as a company is proven, just early for the rifle

The Larue is proven, but by the time you get the iron sights to it, you are @ 1700.

Thoughts, feedback from owners of either??
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:32:39 PM EDT
I would take the RUC. From a visual standpoint, I'm really not fond of the PredatAR's rail. $400 price difference is almost enough for an aimpoint.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2011 8:40:44 PM EDT by MTNmyMag]
I prefer the look of the PredatAr and with the Flanged Upper receiver of the PredatAr you have a TRUE Free Float Design as the forearm isnt attached to the barrel nut. It is worth the extra money over a standard reciever set up in my Opinion.

Also I think that is introductory pricing on the RUC I think it is going up to 1495 soon..... IIRC
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:09:18 PM EDT
I like the specs on the RUC. I also like LaRue's products. I have a couple stealth uppers and they are accurate. I've wanted a Predatar since fondling one at the NRA convention. I don't know which one I would pick. Both are priced really well for what you get. I think the RUC is a better value though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2011 9:32:42 PM EDT by ColdBlood]
Good comparison....I looked at both before going with the RUC. Both are an outstanding value, so it all boiled down to some minor personal preferences for me.

Here is basically my thought process....

1. I wanted a chrome lined barrel, not stainless, for this particular (lightweight SHTF/HD) gun.

2. I wanted the 14.5" barrel because this is a defense carbine...don't need it any longer than it has to be, I like the Rainier muzzle device (hider/comp) for a lightweight defense weapon, and I prefer the VLTOR stock. None of which are an option with the Larue.

3. This may sound dumb, but as cool as the billet looks, I'm not real big on the Texas map as a roll mark, at least not on a defense carbine (nothing against TX, wouldn't want my own state map on there either). I also think the long ass handguard on the Larue is a bit much, and I'd probably end up spending more money to replace it. The RUC receivers are plenty nice looking, the hand guard is awesome looking and has a heatsink... and no state map, so the RUC got the nod from me on aesthetics.

4. Price....Like you said, $400 difference by the time you add sights to the Larue. I'm not saying the Larue is overpriced because it's most definitely not....it's just that the billet receiver and stainless barrel, which totally justify the price difference - if that's what you want - were not things I personally wanted/needed.

5. All that said, I have my RUC now, and I'm in love with it. And guess what? I still really want a PredatAR. . I'm thinking I'll probably get one next year in 7.62 to use as a hunting rifle...in which case, the stainless barrel will be great (not rapid firing), and an application where the Texas map will be something I can live with.

ETA - I took the $400 I saved and spent it on an EOTech 517 ($419).
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2011 9:41:24 PM EDT by Rock501]
your basically talking about 2 completely different guns here.

one has a lightweight cold hammer forged barrel (the RUC)

while the other has a Lothar Walther Stainless Steel barrel (the larue tactical)

one gun is made for running and gunning, its light, the barrel is made to be shot like a full auto, and is going to be a battle mama (the RUC)

and then the other is going to be more of a marksman platform, the stainless steel barrel is better suited for taking precision accurate shots and the design concept in the rail is supposed to be more accurate as well (the larue)

Your comparing a hammer to a scalpel, what do you plan on using the rifle for?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:45:54 PM EDT
As far as the RUC not being proven, the gun itself may be new, but I figured Rainier has been building solid uppers and lowers for a while, and if you look at the parts they use, it's all great stuff. If I were building this rifle, there isn't much I'd do different...the grip is the only thing I took off (had a Hogue laying around).
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 9:48:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rock501:
Your comparing a hammer to a scalpel, what do you plan on using the rifle for?

Well put.

Both rifles are extremely light in weight, but that's about where the similarities end.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 2:41:50 AM EDT
LaRue PredatAR...accuracy and weight!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 4:14:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ColdBlood:
Good comparison....I looked at both before going with the RUC. Both are an outstanding value, so it all boiled down to some minor personal preferences for me.

1. I wanted a chrome lined barrel, not stainless, for this particular (lightweight SHTF/HD) gun.

2. I wanted the 14.5" barrel because this is a defense carbine...don't need it any longer than it has to be, I like the Rainier muzzle device (hider/comp) for a lightweight defense weapon, and I prefer the VLTOR stock. None of which are an option with the Larue.

3. This may sound dumb, but as cool as the billet looks, I'm not real big on the Texas map as a roll mark, at least not on a defense carbine (nothing against TX, wouldn't want my own state map on there either). I also think the long ass handguard on the Larue is a bit much, and I'd probably end up spending more money to replace it. The RUC receivers are plenty nice looking, the hand guard is awesome looking and has a heatsink... and no state map, so the RUC got the nod from me on aesthetics.

4. Price....Like you said, $400 difference by the time you add sights to the Larue. I'm not saying the Larue is overpriced because it's most definitely not....it's just that the billet receiver and stainless barrel, which totally justify the price difference - if that's what you want - were not things I personally wanted/needed.

5. All that said, I have my RUC now, and I'm in love with it. And guess what? I still really want a PredatAR. . I'm thinking I'll probably get one next year in 7.62 to use as a hunting rifle...in which case, the stainless barrel will be great (not rapid firing), and an application where the Texas map will be something I can live with.

With the predator you cant switch the handguard for another because of the design.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 4:38:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FDEMagpul:

With the predator you cant switch the handguard for another because of the design.

why would you want to switch the HG? the LaRue is already a perfect design with versatility as well!

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:25:51 AM EDT
I never let money play a role in my decision making process when it comes to guns and no I am not rich. I am a Department of Labor employee.

My rifle is taking forever to build because I have to save up money here and there between bills. I have had a complete lower and a Young’s NM BCG for a while. I am ordering a Mega Monolithic rail this week and I won't be able to order the Noveske N4 14.5" w/Swithblock barrel I want until the beginning of February since my girlfriends birthday is in January. After that I probably won't be able to order the AAC M42k until April or May. It is going to be until summer until I get my rifle exactly how I want it and I know could have already had a complete rifle to enjoy. However, when I get my rifle finished it will be EXACTLY what I want with no hesitation and I will get many years of enjoyment out of it.

If you get the RUC just because it’s cheaper you will think about what you could have gotten a couple of paychecks down the road. Your spending around 1500$ and in a few years you won’t even miss that extra few hundred dollars. Just hold off a little and save up some more money to get exactly what you want. You’re only going to spend it once. Rainier Arms is without a doubt my favorite company with Larue Tactical coming in a close second, but I would probably go with the PredatAR.

These are both great rifles and I feel your pain because the hardest part for me building an AR is deciding on what parts I want to use. But if you still can’t decide do the following:

Put a picture of both rifles on the wall, blindfold yourself, spin around 3 times, and then throw a dart on the wall. The gun you hit is going to be a tremendously great rifle from a top of the line company with very friendly and knowledgeable customer service and you will be extremely happy with it. Finally, go to the range and don't look back!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:49:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tlwest1986:
I never let money play a role in my decision making process when it comes to guns and no I am not rich. I am a Department of Labor employee.

My rifle is taking forever to build because I have to save up money here and there between bills. I have had a complete lower and a Young’s NM BCG for a while. I am ordering a Mega Monolithic rail this week and I won't be able to order the Noveske N4 14.5" w/Swithblock barrel I want until the beginning of February since my girlfriends birthday is in January. After that I probably won't be able to order the AAC M42k until April or May. It is going to be until summer until I get my rifle exactly how I want it and I know could have already had a complete rifle to enjoy. However, when I get my rifle finished it will be EXACTLY what I want with no hesitation and I will get many years of enjoyment out of it.

If you get the RUC just because it’s cheaper you will think about what you could have gotten a couple of paychecks down the road. Your spending around 1500$ and in a few years you won’t even miss that extra few hundred dollars. Just hold off a little and save up some more money to get exactly what you want. You’re only going to spend it once. Rainier Arms is without a doubt my favorite company with Larue Tactical coming in a close second, but I would probably go with the PredatAR.

These are both great rifles and I feel your pain because the hardest part for me building an AR is deciding on what parts I want to use. But if you still can’t decide do the following:

Put a picture of both rifles on the wall, blindfold yourself, spin around 3 times, and then throw a dart on the wall. The gun you hit is going to be a tremendously great rifle from a top of the line company with very friendly and knowledgeable customer service and you will be extremely happy with it. Finally, go to the range and don't look back!!!

yeah, its not about the cash. It's just one of those torn between the two and just looking for feedback from owners of both and which they chose and why.

Cosmetically, I dig the Rainier, but I really like the billet receivers as well on the larue. I may just do what you say and throw a dart, lol

I havent ruled out piecing one together altogether yet, but would like to just save time and buy a complete warrantied rifle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:17:11 AM EDT
The RUC seems to be a great rifle, the only thing I don't like is the rail which seems to be the same as the TRX with those screws on the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:23:48 AM EDT
They are both great rifles but the PredatAR is the top performer out of the two. They are both guns that are going to be reliable and most likely outlive any of us. I have a Pred and the only concern I had was the SS barrel and I'm no longer concerned about that especially since there are people who have put 10k+ rounds through theirs and have yet to shoot them out. The Pred is ridiculously light, ridiculously accurate and is just plain sexy. There is no other gun like it on the market right now. It has a few features that are just totally (to the best of my knowledge) unique. You also always have LaRue's remarkable customer service (although the same can also be said for Rainier) Personally I would go with the Pred (which I did). It's gonna cost a little bit more, but you get some more rifle for your dollar. I think you'll be happy either way though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:21:45 AM EDT
I am disappointed because no one has given the ARFCOM answer to this question yet...

Get Both!!!

lol
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:34:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rebound:
They are both great rifles but the PredatAR is the top performer out of the two. They are both guns that are going to be reliable and most likely outlive any of us. I have a Pred and the only concern I had was the SS barrel and I'm no longer concerned about that especially since there are people who have put 10k+ rounds through theirs and have yet to shoot them out. The Pred is ridiculously light, ridiculously accurate and is just plain sexy. There is no other gun like it on the market right now. It has a few features that are just totally (to the best of my knowledge) unique. You also always have LaRue's remarkable customer service (although the same can also be said for Rainier) Personally I would go with the Pred (which I did). It's gonna cost a little bit more, but you get some more rifle for your dollar. I think you'll be happy either way though.

Agree with this statement––except I haven't bought the Pred......yet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:52:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
I would take the RUC. From a visual standpoint, I'm really not fond of the PredatAR's rail. $400 price difference is almost enough for an aimpoint.

YMMV

Gotta agree with this. Both are quality, but visually I think the RUC looks better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:59:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2011 11:00:08 AM EDT by tlwest1986]
Originally Posted By tlwest1986:
I havent ruled out piecing one together altogether yet, but would like to just save time and buy a complete warrantied rifle.

I say go this route. Although it will take more time I think you will be alot happier.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:20:14 AM EDT
I have a PredatAR on order and I am more than Likely gonna get a special ordered 18" RUC to be my DMR within the year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:23:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2011 11:30:43 AM EDT by BCV]
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:38:27 AM EDT
I think a more relevant comparison might be made by comparing the Daniel Defense V5 LW, Bravo Company Mid LW, and the Rainer RUC

As for the OP's post, I chose the RUC, its what I wanted. Didn't want a precision type rifle. I LOVE IT.

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:47:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rebound:
They are both great rifles but the PredatAR is the top performer out of the two.

How so? If you're wanting a rifle to put down high round counts at short range, I'd think a CL barrel with a heatsink is a better choice. I'm sure the lw-50 stainless is great, but I'd be afraid of cutting its life short if I were doing mag dumps. Get a stainless barrel too hot too often and the extra accuracy you get from the stainless will eventually be gone.

As for the difference in accuracy, it might be 1/2 moa difference...doesn't really amount to much inside 200-300 yards (using it as a defense weapon). If using it with a non-magnified optic, then you'll probably never see any advantage in going stainless.

Like myself and others have said, application (how you will use it) is ultimately going to be the determining factor. I don't think you can simply say one will out perform the other.

All that said, I still want both....my final decision was to buy the RUC now, while its on sale, and buy a PredatAR next year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:53:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2011 5:03:25 PM EDT by ColdBlood]
Originally Posted By TXGUNNER308:
Originally Posted By FDEMagpul:

why would you want to switch the HG? the LaRue is already a perfect design with versatility as well!

Just because its a little too long for my taste, from an aesthetic standpoint....12" is about as long as I'd want a handguard.

ETA - To FDEMagpul....I didn't realize the handguard on the Larue was a permanent thing, but I see what you're talking about now...it's kind of a pseudo-monolithic design. Luckily I like the look of the 7.62 PredatAR, which is the one I'd most likely buy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:01:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brzusa:
The RUC seems to be a great rifle, the only thing I don't like is the rail which seems to be the same as the TRX with those screws on the bottom.

The evo rail on the RUC was my least favorite thing about the RUC, but I really liked that it has an integral heatsink since the RUC has a light profile barrel. The thinner the barrel, the faster they heat up.

But honestly, now that I have the RUC in hand, the rail is one of my favorite things about it...it looks awesome in person and you don't even notice the little screws back toward the mag well. I've gotten a lot of compliments on that rail already.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 1:13:37 PM EDT
well, I talked to Rainier a while ago and they said I was within this first 100 SSA upgrade deal, so I clicked notify me on both rifles. Just waiting to hear back, thats been maybe 2 weeks ago, and honestly I dont expect anything back until after the new year.

While waiting I've been looking at other rifles and the Larue got my attention. In the pics above, they are strikingly similar when side by side
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 5:19:56 PM EDT
Here's mine with an EOTech and a Magpul RVG.

Since then I swapped the grip for a Hogue that I had laying around and added a Magpul BAD lever...might add a sling and a tac light, but I really like everything it came with.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:50:25 PM EDT
LaRue
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:13:01 PM EDT
I think alot of guys hit the nail on the head when they said they are 2 completely different rifles with different purposes, just priced similarly.

That being said my 18" predatar will be here tomorrow!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:49:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Scarlet:
I think alot of guys hit the nail on the head when they said they are 2 completely different rifles with different purposes, just priced similarly.

I disagree they are pretty much both aimed at 3 Gunners. The SS barrel will take ROF just fine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:20:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
Originally Posted By Scarlet:

I disagree they are pretty much both aimed at 3 Gunners. The SS barrel will take ROF just fine.

I admittedly don't know much about 3 gun, but do those guys typically run a 14.5" barrel?

I tend to think of the the RUC as a general purpose lightweight plinker/SHTF-HD type setup....hence the name (Rainier Urban Carbine).

If it were being marketed as a 3 gun setup, I would imagine (or at least hope) Rainer would've put their stainless barrel on it. But either way, yeah...if I were doing any type of competing, stainless is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:50:57 PM EDT
I ordered a RUC 16" in mid November. Right now i'm waiting for papers to clear at FFL. This is the first rifle I ever purchased & I wanted a midlength , chf lightweight barrel , 16'' , milspec - that would be perfect for much target shooting ,home defense / SHTF . I plan to put a scope on it maybe next year , so as far as accuracy it wil be way more accurate than I will ever be able to attain .

I looked at the Noveske lo-pro ($1999) ,LMT & Daniel DefenseV5 . After over 2 years of lurking & researching the RUC 16" was my choice. I got everything that I was looking for plus the upgraded SSA trigger - all from a company that was top notch to deal with !! While checking out the RUC at my FFL , I was very impressed with its balance , fit & finish . Rainier Arms did one hell of a job on this thing -I can't wait to warm this beast up !!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:53:46 PM EDT
These guns aren't in the same category at all. Just because they have slim profile lightweight rails, and a lightweight barrel doesn't mean they're in the same category.
Top Top