Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 7:44:11 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a preban 9mm Colt carbine and just noticed that its serial number is outside the preban range according to the serial number list on the first page of this forum. The list shows #TA10100 and below as preban, the one I'm looking at is TA111XX.  Is it a preban, LEO or something else?  Is it legal to own?  It has all the 'evil' preban stuff (flash hider, bayo lug, 4 position stock, etc...).  I'm going to call Colt tomorrow and see what they say.  Price is too good to pass up, if its legal to own.
TIA
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a LEO Restricted rifle made sometime between 9/94 and 7/95 before Colt was required to stamp the restricted markings on their LEO guns.

Not legal to own unless you are a FFL or LEO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I almost go stuck with one of those selling on consignment. Glad the buyer checked with Colt and backed out of the deal. If a year or two had gone by and then they found out I would have had to take a rifle back that was not mine and no way I could have collected from the actual seller.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Good infromation to know.  Are the laws regarding this the same in every state?  This gun is at a local gun store, Do you think I should tell them or let someone eles buy it not knowing?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as pre- post- ban, that's federal law. So, it applies to every state.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You should Definately tell them.  You would not want to get stuck with the gun, so dont let it happen to some other unsuspecting consumer who may not know about ARFCOM yet or have the knowledge to check the Serial# like you did.  The next person may just take the word of the gun shop owner.  At least let the guy know that you know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Just for others to know, I purchased a blue label colt 9mm (still have in NIB) about ten years ago.  Serial number is NL003XXX.  It does not have bayonet lug and the buttstock is solid piece, not telescopic.  I agree with the guy who said tell this store the truth.  It is a nice gun.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I called Colt today to verify.  They confirmed it's a restricted, postban LEO model made in 1995.
I went to the dealer today and told them.  The guy got a total 'Holy $hit' look on his face.  Turns out the gun is on consignment by a local police officer that they deal with frequently.  Probably a total accident since its not marked LOE only.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably an accident upon the Dealer]s part but the cop knows it came through a dept. purchase. Most likely what will happen is the cop will say sorry and take the gun off consignmnet, then it will show up at some other gun show or goto a gun show. Maybe this cop did not know, but the cop who sold it to him knew, somewhere down the line.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Also most likely it was sold through Keislers police supply directly to the dept.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Phew!  Your post scared me for a second, and I had to check my serial number with the list.  My s/n made the preban cutoff date for the NL series by less than 200.  

I bought my used 9mm in '97.  It was a consignment gun at a sporting goods store.  Back then, I never even thought to check the number.  Lesson learned; I was lucky.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top