Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2003 6:05:45 PM EDT
The following is question and then 1st answer from BushMaster:

1.  My e-mail to BushMaster:  Back around Sep / Aug 93 I purchased a complete lower receiver (SN L039192) and then a week or two later I purchased a complete upper unit. I used XXXXXXX Gun Shop for the purchase of both complete lower and upper. The other day I was reading an article and it mentioned something about the manufacturer having to certify "pre-ban" parts if they where bought seperately and put together as a complete firearm. I have had these two pieces put together since purchased. If I need to send the firearm to you I will gladly do that to insure everything is on the up and up... Is there anything to this? I can not find the receipt for the lower but do have the receipt for the upper.

2.  BushMaster response:  In reference to your inquiry on serial # L039192, our records show this receiver was manufactured on 4/27/93 , prior to the enactment of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.  It was sold as a lower receiver only.  Therefore we cannot verify with our own records the date the receiver was built into a rifle.  We cannot advise if the subsequent lower
is pre or post ban.

3.  What should I do now??

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you still have reciepts?

If you have reciepts for the lower and upper both purchased by you prior to 9/13/94 you have a pre-ban as long as the units met, and were configured as an AW.

Not sure what else you can do to "certify" it. But since you are the original owner, if you have paper saying you purchased a parts to make a complete weapon prior to the ban, I guess we'll have to accept that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
OLY -- Thanks.  I have the receipt the upper, but can't find the one for the lower.  I will call gun shop tomorrow and see if they can run down the original...

I just to make sure I am legal...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If Bushmaster says it was pre 94, and you have a receipt for the upper, youre good to go.

The 4473 will still be on file, if the shop is still in business.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems as though you already have everything you need as per OLY-M4gery's reply. I wouldn't worry if you can't find the receipt for the lower.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
[b]If You bought a lower from a FFL dealer
in 1993 - the dealer has the yellow form.
If the dealer is out of business,then the
BATF has the form.

This is proof that you owned a FIREARM before
the Ban.

No one can prove (or disprove) WHAT TYPE of FIREARM it was the day after you bought it[/b]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck the reciepts.  I have the same situation with an Eagle lower. I don't have no stinking receipts. The burden of proof is on them not you.

Edited to add:

What a sorry state of affairs, when free men, attempting to obey unconstitutional laws, still have to fear their government.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Sell that Bushy Lower to me for $500.00 and then you will not have to worry about it !!!! [banana]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
fell-off-the-truck - actually I've thinking about selling the entire firearm (Bushy Dissapator), but just ain't there yet.

The day I received the upper I assembled it to lower, fired 5 to 10 rounds through it, cleaned it, stuck in the safe and that's where it's been since the Fall of 1993...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck the reciepts.  I have the same situation with an Eagle lower. I don't have no stinking receipts. The burden of proof is on them not you.

Edited to add:

What a sorry state of affairs, when free men, attempting to obey unconstitutional laws, still have to fear their government.
View Quote

Some say that the burden of proof in this case is on you, but the standard in a criminal case is reasonable doubt, so I doubt a jury would go along with the gov on that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top