Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 12:31:45 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the right forum?

My step son has just brought me a stamped COLT AR-15 magazine, made in Hartford conn. , says his dad was a medic in the army and gave it to him 5 yrs or so ago.

Is this a pre-ban?, was it a gov't issued?

I just went ahead and bought 2 pre-bans, only to find out I had one in my house all along? WTF?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
masses correct me if im wrong about this, but i believe post ban mags have the date of manufacture on them
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
NOW HOW DOES THIS WORK THAT THE BAN HAS BEEN LIFTED?  CAN A PERSON HAVE HI-CAP MAGS DATED DURING THE BAN PERIOD?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NOW HOW DOES THIS WORK THAT THE BAN HAS BEEN LIFTED?  CAN A PERSON HAVE HI-CAP MAGS DATED DURING THE BAN PERIOD?

YESSSSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
if it says  "for law enforcement or government use only" then it is post ban. if it has a date stamped on it like 6/05, 12/04, 7/07, 9/99 or anything like that, its post ban (unless it says 8/94 of course!)
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Long as you're not afoul state laws,( as in New Yawk state laws) you're good to go.
Moon
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
AWB sunsetted in 04. So any/all mags don't make a difference anymore. Like stated before,unless you live in a permaban state it doesn't matter. From 1994 to 2004 all LEO/MIL mags were stamped

RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERMENT USE ONLY 10-94

Most were stamped during the AWB. But its has been abolished so it doesn't matter anymore.

If they come up with a new AWB in 09( Obamanation) These that are stamped will be grandfathered(10/1994).

No such thing as a hi cap magazine. Anti 2nds invented that term. Factory glock mags, rifle mags are just mags. The libtards & fudds refer to standard mags as Hi Capacity magazines
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
if it says  "for law enforcement or government use only" then it is post ban. if it has a date stamped on it like 6/05, 12/04, 7/07, 9/99 or anything like that, its post ban (unless it says 8/94 of course!)

BINGO!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

AHHHHH DUDE TAKE OFF THE CAPS LOCK AND STOP YELLING!!!!!

NY still has an AWB. Yes, you still need pre-Sept 1994 magazines if they are over 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help.

There is no date on this mag, and it is stamped by COLT, would this be a gov't issued mag?

If mags are no longer dated how does one prove they are pre ban? I live in the piss poor state NY.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help.

There is no date on this mag, and it is stamped by COLT, would this be a gov't issued mag?

If mags are no longer dated how does one prove they are pre ban? I live in the piss poor state NY.
The government currently issues magazines made by a number of contractors, and Colt isn't one of them.  That doesn't mean it isn't an issue magazine...

Is there a problem with the step son having this magazine?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help.

The civie Colt 20s were labeled  ".223 Rem".  The mil were "5.56"

There are other differences with age as all older Colt 20s have metal followers
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#14]
FYI, here is a "Post ban magazine" with the manufactured date stamped on it.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
AWB sunsetted in 04. So any/all mags don't make a difference anymore. Like stated before,unless you live in a permaban state it doesn't matter. From 1994 to 2004 all LEO/MIL mags were stamped

RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERMENT USE ONLY 10-94

Most were stamped during the AWB. But its has been abolished so it doesn't matter anymore.

If they come up with a new AWB in 09( Obamanation) These that are stamped will be grandfathered(10/1994).

No such thing as a hi cap magazine. Anti 2nds invented that term. Factory glock mags, rifle mags are just mags. The libtards & fudds refer to standard mags as Hi Capacity magazines

So "standard" or "regular" cap and "low" cap terms would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Judging by the finish wear it appears to be a pre-ban.  There are no marking on the magazine body anywhere?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
masses correct me if im wrong about this, but i believe post ban mags have the date of manufacture on them

Some prebans do also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
Judging by the finish wear it appears to be a pre-ban.  There are no marking on the magazine body anywhere?

None what so ever, the only markings are on the floor plate:

COLT AR-15
cal. 5.56 mm
colt's pt. f.a. mfg. co. inc.
Hartford, Conn. U.S.A.

The follower is plastic (composite?)

Sorry about the pics, tried to fix them, digital camera hat until we were talking about me building my first AR-15, when he says "I got a mag for them"
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]
From the follower and the wear, I'd say it was WAY pre-ban.  It's not marked like a typical GI magazine though; as I noted above, Colt magazines typically weren't supplied to the troops.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one of the exact same magazine.

first of all, yes, that particular magazine is in military circulation

second, if it were postban, it would be marked for govt/LE
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some prebans do also.

The date on the magazines was NOT required by the Klintonista ban, just the restriction markings.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top