Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 8:53:02 PM EDT
How do you go about finding out whether a AR15 is pre-ban or not with Colt? I haven't found any definite answers on the Colt website. Would a Colt Sporter Match HBAR marked with a serial number MH0689XX be pre-ban or post-ban status? The serial number list on AR15.com shows it as pre-ban but just looking if anyone else has this range and/or could tell whether they are or not.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can call and ask them. They can confirm it's pre-ban status.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Do they charge anything for this?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]MH086020 and Below - Pre-Ban[/b]

All you need to know. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
This will answer all of your serial number questions.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/serialNumberList.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes I have read that, but it also says:
Disclaimer:  [b]This list is correct to the best of my knowledge, however, I accept absolutely no responsibility for the accuracy of this information or for the consequences and/or damages occurring from any inaccuracies.[/b] I have compiled this list for the purposes of sharing information only. This is not intended to be used in any way except for personal entertainment. [b]It is a compilation of both personal information and information submitted from others from the Internet. ALL SERIAL NUMBERS SHOULD BE VERIFIED FROM THE MANUFACTURER PRIOR TO ANY PURCHASE OR ASSEMBLY!!![/b]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If you do not trust the ar15.com preban serial number list then I guess your going to have to call Colt. No they do not charge for the phone call. Most people just trust the provided list.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most people just trust the provided list.
View Quote

Which in some cases can be a big mistake. In the case of Colt's, who only sold complete rifles, and who is still in business to verify the list, it's fine. In other cases the list has inaccuracies and serial numbers don't prove the firearm exempt from the ban but may prove that it is not exempt.

As I posted a while back, if you're ever in the unfortunate situation of having to prove that your semiautomatic assault rifle is exempt from the ban "but this website said" or "the guy I got it from said" isn't going to get you too far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people just trust the provided list.
View Quote

Which in some cases can be a big mistake. In the case of Colt's, who only sold complete rifles, and who is still in business to verify the list, it's fine. In other cases the list has inaccuracies and serial numbers don't prove the firearm exempt from the ban but may prove that it is not exempt.

As I posted a while back, if you're ever in the unfortunate situation of having to prove that your semiautomatic assault rifle is exempt from the ban "but this website said" or "the guy I got it from said" isn't going to get you too far.
View Quote

Getting the pre-ban status verified by Colt is the smart thing to do.  ARFCOM has good info, but if I ever buy a preban i'll call the manufacturer for verification.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top