Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 9:05:34 AM EDT

Can someone tell me or refer me to a site that explains the difference between pre and post ban AR’s. I’m thinking about building my first AR but I want to make sure it’s a legal weapon.

I’ve searched the forum for info but didn’t find much that looked current. Did I miss it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, in FL that should not be a concern for you, but here you go:

www.awbansunset.com/
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#2]
           This is only an issue in a handfull of backwards thinking states (yeah I am in one of them! Connecticut)
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, the "ban" AR's had unthreaded muzzles and no bayo lug.  That's basically it.  That and no +10 round mags could be made during the ban.

But in Florida, as mentioned, you are in a free state.

I converted everything I had to pre-ban configuration after the sunset of the ban and everything that I buy now must have all of the evilness
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, the "ban" AR's had unthreaded muzzles and no bayo lug.  That's basically it.  That and no +10 round mags could be made during the ban.

But in Florida, as mentioned, you are in a free state.

I converted everything I had to pre-ban configuration after the sunset of the ban and everything that I buy now must have all of the evilness

To add, folding or telescoping stocks where also banned.  Threaded muzzles had to have muzzle brake permanently attached.  Flash suppressors where made illegal except on preban rifles.
There are only a handful of states that have their own state level AWB. Unfortunately I live in one of them. Florida is not a AWB state. You can have all the evil features you want. Though I am not sure sound suppressors are legal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Thank you, I’ve been a victim of bad info on the suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm confussed too.  I was checking out http://www.advanced-armament.com/faq/franger.asp
for a place to buy a supressor.  In their question and answer section they say you can't put one on a post ban AR.  I'm going to call them in the morning and find out if that's just old info.  

I need help on this one too.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
           This is only an issue in a handfull of backwards thinking states (yeah I am in one of them! Connecticut)

Same here. Muzzle brake ok, flash hider a no no. Stupid, isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to check your state specific NFA laws.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok are we talking about flash suppression or silencers? When I made a comment on suppressers being illegal in Florida I was referring to sound suppression, aka silencers. I apologize if I confused the topic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok are we talking about flash suppression or silencers? When I made a comment on suppressers being illegal in Florida I was referring to sound suppression, aka silencers. I apologize if I confused the topic.

Check the NFA forums.  Sound supressors are perfectly leagal for you to own and use in Florida.  NFA is the National Firearms Act.  It put a mandatory tax on items such as Full auto weapons, and silencers.  To obtain such a supressor, you must find a Class III dealer.  They can guide yo through the process of buy a supressor legaly.  

The basics are. you must apply to the ATF for a tax stamp.  With the Application you must send finger prints and approval from your local law enforcment authority, and of course the mandatory $200 tax.  then you wait for approval and the tax stamp to arrive so you can pick up your supressor from the Class III dealer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh and no need to appologize for the confusion the News media, and libs have been trying for years to make these things sound evil and illegal.  

Many in law enforcement are confused about what the real laws are as well.  I spoke with a gentleman today who legally owns a supressor and a pretty high speed full auto set up.  He got pulled over for speeding today on his way to the range, and had a lot of explaining to do to an ignorant cop who didn't seem to know what he was looking for as he reviewed all of the paperwork.

The cop still didn't beleive that civilians could own "those things", but since the driver was military and appeared to have "appropriate paperwork", and his supervisor said it was o.k., and he would just get the ticket today, but they may need to talk to him later.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Night shooter, the bottom line is this.  You live in FL.  There is no such thing as pre-ban or post-ban.  It doesn't exist, you can proceed in life like there was never such a thing.  What is on the AAC website with regard to pre and post ban does not apply to you so making a phone call to them is pointless.  Most of the states that have AWB still in place you can't legally own a suppressor anyway so again, the statement is pointless and so is asking them about it.

In FL, as in the majority of the other states(34 I think) private ownership of silencers is legal.  FL is one of the 34.  You can buy the silencer from a SOT(special occupational taxpayer), or an individual in your state.  You would do so on a Form 4 filled out and sent in to the ATF NFA Branch in duplicate.  A person is defined as a partnership, company, association,
trust, estate, or corporation, as well as a natural person.  If you submit the form 4 as a natural person you will have to obtain CLEO certification(sign off) on the form as well as submit a fingerprint card and color photographs.  Also a check made payable to BATFE for $200.  You also have to send a Certificate of Compliance form 5330.20 stating you are a US Citizen.  If you submit the form through a trust or LLC, no photos, fingerprints or CLEO signoff are required.

If you can legally own a firearm, in about 30 days you will get an approved form 4 back with a $200 tax stamped affixed to it.  At that time, you can take possession of the silencer and be on your way.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the great info and clarification on silencers. What all of you have said has been told to me only once locally. All the other inquires I’ve made around here have been met with either unclear answers or why do you want one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top