Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/7/2003 5:27:39 PM EDT
Is it me or are the pre bans not selling real well on the EE board? I think the AW ban sunset is starting to take an effect on the price of the pre bans. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:43:11 PM EDT
The gun shop I go to has a bunch of pre-bans, it's been months and they are all still sitting there. I won't buy any at this time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:45:20 PM EDT
yes i'd imagine that most are willing to wait a year and see what happens. Of course if rumblings of a new and worse AWB start stirring, expect to see all variations of AR-15s fly off the shelves
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:53:11 PM EDT
I think we are going to see the prices of pre ban's start to drop even before the sunset. I refuse to make another purchase till they do. I saw some 30 round mags the other day for $40 each!!! Ridiculous!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:54:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HappyJack97: The gun shop I go to has a bunch of pre-bans, it's been months and they are all still sitting there. I won't buy any at this time.
View Quote
Let me guess....Targetmaster
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:01:22 PM EDT
Bingo!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:05:56 PM EDT
Part of the problem is the gun business is seasonal - lower in the summer months and higher in the winter. However, I had noticed the price of such prebans as the SP1 beginning to fall back in the spring. The big Fall Tulsa show is in October. Be very interesting to see what prices are at that show on Sunday afternoon !!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:14:31 PM EDT
Are the features you get with a pre-ban, really worth the extra money? I can get 2 post-ban's for the price of 1 pre-ban.....No brainer, if you ask me!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:15:52 PM EDT
I'm not to worried about a bigger ban just maybe the same one reinstated. Gun control is a losing issue for democrats. 2004 is an election year. Clinton blamed the AW ban for Dems losing the House and Senate in 94.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:19:50 PM EDT
I really like collapsible stocks. The gun looks fucking homosexual without a flashsuppressor, but you can mow down just as many people with a pre ban as a post ban that is why the law is so damn stupid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:29:47 PM EDT
I had Kurt's Kustom Firearms take care of the bare barrel. I have to admit, the collapsible stock is a feature I would like to have.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2003 6:42:31 PM EDT by ShamusMcOI]
Originally Posted By HappyJack97: Are the features you get with a pre-ban, really worth the extra money? I can get 2 post-ban's for the price of 1 pre-ban.....No brainer, if you ask me!
View Quote
See, I hear this arguement all the time. But the fact of the matter is that if you shop around you can buy prebans for not that much more than a quality postban. Twp of the prebans I bought, I paid only $200-$300 dollars more than the cost of a postban Bushmaster. One of them a complete Colt with small hole, factory pushpin, and A2 improvements. So yes, for the extra cash they were worth it to me. I certainly couldn't have bought two postbans, even the cheapo Olympics, for what I paid for either of them. Yes, those deals don't come along everyday. But if you are in the market for a preban, keep your eye out because now may be the time to pick up a good deal. Yes the AWB my sunset, and I damn sure hope it does. But I'm still skeptical. And the $200 in value you may lose isn't much compared to the value you may gain if it doesn't. And I've also noticed that it isn't just prebans, but postbans, pistols, etc. Seems like a tough gun market this summer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:00:42 PM EDT
It's easy to buy a full brand new rifle for the price of a preban stripped lower. Unless you want that collapsable stock really bad I can't see buying a preban. The only prebans I have found that were only $200-300 more than a postban were old and beat to shit. A nice low mileage carbine are $1400 up. I even see people asking up to $2500 for a M4 preband, I paid $870 for a brand new Colt MT6700. I think when the assault weapon ban sunsets the price of prebans will die.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:25:09 PM EDT
Well, I want to buy a pre-ban, but I can't find any in my area. Stop hording them all and send some to Southern Minnesota would ya already?!?!?! P.S. The only gun store around here has a pre ban AR for 1K, but It was converted into an accuracy type rifle. I am trying to convince myself to buy it but don't want to have to go through all the trouble of having to sell an upper and buy another one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:44:42 PM EDT
Whether or not the ban fades there will be some preban models that will never again be produced. One I thing you can count on(if the ban goes) is the cost of ALL rifles going up!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:56:14 PM EDT
correct me if I'm wrong but... if a new law DOES NOT replace the AWB then couldn't we all buy a brand-new AR with all the pre-ban features?? Thus, making the price of AR's made before 1994 irrelevant?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:59:26 PM EDT
From what I have seen at local shows and gunshops is that good quality preban BM's,SP1's and later Colts etc are moving in the $1000-1200 range and the FrankenAR Pre Ban EA, PWA and blatant put together Bush, Oly etc are not selling at all at the asking prices in the $ 1200 + range...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:01:37 PM EDT
The AWB Sunset isn't a 'done-deal' yet, keep on writing your Congressmen!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:18:41 PM EDT
You know I keep seeing bunch of jack asses selling "M4" colt on a match target upper and asking 2000.00 for it.. I hope they choke..they gotta be freaking kidding! I have purchased Preban colts ohere and Glock talk for between 800 to 1100. Post ban Bushy for 450.00 If you ask me they prices are already dropping like a lead testical. I dont get it A colt preban with non mil spec trigger group holes, large pin this and that sear blocks etc go fo or used to go for money out of sight.... I am glad to see them go down. I hope they keep trucking way down! Its a fucking AR not the holy grail......Everybody makes parts for them some run some dont.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:47:11 PM EDT
The nice thing about a pre-ban is that you absolutely don't have to worry about how any given upper is configured. They're ALL legal, that is, unless they're SBR's and you don't have your lower registered as an SBR...but if you do, no limits! That IS worth something to me. CJ
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:15:23 PM EDT
Part of me thinks the manufacturers won't ditch there post-ban lines immediately after the ban expires. I think that now may be a good time to buy certain pre-ban components. Pre-ban configured uppers have been going for real bargain prices just because so few of the total population of AR owners can use them. As far as conspiracy or whatever, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you plan on commiting a crime, it will never come under scrutiny.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:28:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By whywork40: It's easy to buy a full brand new rifle for the price of a preban stripped lower. Unless you want that collapsable stock really bad I can't see buying a preban. The only prebans I have found that were only $200-300 more than a postban were old and beat to shit. A nice low mileage carbine are $1400 up. I even see people asking up to $2500 for a M4 preband, I paid $870 for a brand new Colt MT6700. I think when the assault weapon ban sunsets the price of prebans will die.
View Quote
Hmmm! Last summer I purchased a preban Colt R6601 HBar with factory pushpin which was like new for $999 at my local gunshop. I purchased a Colt M4 upgrade kit with the new Colt M4 telestock for $950, sold the HBar upper for $450, the A2 stock for $60 and in the end had a Colt M4 for under $1450. There are bargains to be found![:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:01:18 AM EDT
Collectable pre-ban Colts will never lose their value. If you don't understand why they go for what they do then you don't understand supply and demand. And you've never owned one because you also don't understand their reliability. [sniper2] Dirk out
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:06:26 AM EDT
I respect you views. What I dont understand is what is collectible about Colt AR's. With the exception of some of the complete rifles of yester year... But you have to say that an M4 uppered Match Preban Colt is a collectable as a lint. There is nothing special about it...hell you can buy M4 uppers on EE for between 200-400 then buy any Preban Lower for 700-900 that doesnt make a 2000 or 2300 weapon. Never will....it also not collectable. What I find collectable is a complete Box papers original SP1 confugured exactly as it left the Factory with receipts.. that proves and shows provenence (got the from antiques road show).
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:16:02 AM EDT
Where can I get a real M4 (not M4orgery) or Commando (11.5) upper?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:39:47 AM EDT
...so when the ban sunsets will "post ban" rifles be collectors items? Hmmm. Maybe I better buy some.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:47:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:22:24 AM EDT
Yes,I think I'll buy several thousand post ban upper receiver assemblies or maybe just the barrels for collector interest and the huge profit potentials!! In 2005 the plain muzzle barrels will be snapped up by hungry collectors wanting that special look.(Include tone of sarcasm). But seriously,I hate to be a party pooper but the value of a firearm to me is as a tool. I value it's ability to expell a bullet out of the muzzle reliably and accurately. It really doesn't matter what writing is on the outside of it if it will do the intended job. And for those that don't necessarily care if the rifle looks like the military version and don't expect to need a bayonet the post ban should be as valuable to them for there uses as any other.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:31:58 AM EDT
The most irritating thing for me is the 4-5" of an adjustable length of pull on a stock makes it "telescoping" and forbidden. :(
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:32:34 AM EDT
You know a Sar1 with folder and folded is as short as a AR with colp. stock and 7.5 inch brl! Funny aint it...
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:34:21 AM EDT
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP ME ANY BUT I'AM GOING TO TRY IT.I GOT 2 AR-15'S 1 POST,1PRE, MY PRE IS A COLT 7.62X39,MY POST IS A BUSH.... IN .223 I'AM GOING TO SELL MY BUSH......AND BUY A PRE\BAN UPPER IN THE M4 CON.FIG.WITH A COLLASPLE STOCK,AND SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF IT AND STILL HAVE 2 PRE-BAN AR'S ONE .223 AND ONE 7.62X39.WHAT? AM I "CRAZY"OR NOT.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:40:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:47:50 AM EDT
Aimless! Stop dont seperate your 762 Colt and bastardise it...Of collectable colts that is one! Keep it together swaping upper and bolt is no biggie but the 762 colt all original is worth keeping and collecting. Not many were made. they are unique. they are colt specific. and colt used its best parts in them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:50:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:23:34 PM EDT
Originally posted by: 1ar4me I respect you views. What I dont understand is what is collectible about Colt AR's. With the exception of some of the complete rifles of yester year...
View Quote
What makes anything a collectable is a small number of things wanted by a larger number of people or something that one manufacturer has that another doesn't. Colt prebans demand a higher price tag than other prebans. I don't if it's the reliability, the only ar that really says AR-15 or the limited number of some of their productions but they are the cream of the crop. Regardless of what the reason, there is a large group of people who value those weapons. That won't change...
Originally posted by: Halfcocked ...so when the ban sunsets will "post ban" rifles be collectors items? Hmmm. Maybe I better buy some.
View Quote
And you're a just a smartass... [rolleyes] [sniper2] Dirk
Top Top