Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 6:40:03 PM EDT
I just returned from two great carbine classes (Thunder Ranch and Pat Rogers) and wanted to thank MSTN for all their help.  I ended up using an A3 setup with a LMT backup and Aimpoint Comp M2 in an ARMS Mount.  The LMT, Aimpoint, and mount all came from MSTN.  Their service and prices were great - they even helped me with the inevitable, stupid, "I've never done this before" questions when it came time to put everything together.  They did a great job and are worth doing business with.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about Aimpoint.  My Comp M2 went tits up right after I zeroed it (~300 rounds) and I had a horrible time with their customer service.  Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent them:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with your company - specifically your repair and replacement service.  In August of this year, I purchased a Comp M2 for my new duty rifle.  I had arranged to take two carbine classes, one at Thunder Ranch,  in part to test out my new rifle and the accessories I had purchased for it.

After I had mounted and zeroed the scope, it failed after only 300 rounds.  I contacted your customer service department, explained the problem I was experiencing, explained that I had a significant investment in upcoming classes, and explained that I needed a working scope as soon as possible.  I was assured that my scope could be repaired, in its mount, and then shipped to me in time for my Thunder Ranch class.  To avoid confusion, I called back and provided my cell phone number so that I could be contacted should any issues arise.

The scope never arrived during my week long stay at Thunder Ranch.  When I contacted your company again, I was told that the repair could not be completed due to lack of parts.  I was assured that the parts would be in the "next day" and my scope repaired.  I then asked that the scope not be sent to Thunder Ranch as I would no longer be there by the time it arrived.  When I called back to provide the correct shipping address, I was informed that the scope had already been shipped to Thunder Ranch.

When I finally received the package from your company, I found a new scope and my ARMS mount for it.  Having been assured that the zero would not be lost, I did not have time to assemble the scope in time for the start of my second class.  I was ultimately able to use the scope for the last two days of the second class, but I wasted "learning time" having to zero it.

I believe that no matter how good a company's products are, ultimately, a company is no better than the service it provides.  While the Comp M2, when it works, is a fine optic, dealing with your company is enough to make any reasonable person seek a competitor's alternative.

At this point, there is little your company can do to rectify this situation.  I am not seeking anything from your company except an apology for my lost training time and dollars and a promise that your customer service will improve.  I will also be posting this e-mail at various shooting relating Internet sites.

Sincerely,
John E. Hearne

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I see no way that a new scope from anyone could be zeroed to your particular weapon unless you had a very rare case of lucky. Someone was asleep at the switch on where it was mailed, but on the other hand that person didn't know that someone else in the company had already sent it to the orig. address you gave them. I also think it very considerate that they took the time to put it into the ring for you, never heard of many companies doing that and gave you a new scope to boot. If I was them, and or some other scope company and read your message, I wouldn't deal with such a give no credit cry baby.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering the sheer volume they are supplying to our military, and to those of other nations, its a wonder you didnt have to wait months to see it again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I made a deal with US Optics and traded my SN4 for an SN3, I asked that they put the scope in the posa-lock mount the SN4 came with and they have no problem, but they're a much smaller outfit, as 3rdtk said, there's no way for them to zero the scope for me, even if I sent in my rifle I doubt if they would.  They also give me the full retail price on the SN4 trade in [:)]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I see no way that a new scope from anyone could be zeroed to your particular weapon unless you had a very rare case of lucky
View Quote

I didn't ask them to zero the scope for me, they stated that they could repair it in the ring and return it with the zero intact.  They should know their capabilities and not act outside of them.  This could have been easily resolved by sending me a new scope promptly rather than making false promises.

I also think it very considerate that they took the time to put it into the ring for you,
View Quote

They didn't mount the new scope in the mount - I did that myself (see the e-mail above)

If I was them, and or some other scope company and read your message, I wouldn't deal with such a give no credit cry baby.
View Quote

??? - their product fails after 300 rounds, they make promises they don't keep to fix it, drag their feet on replacing the scope, screw up the shipping, screw with my training time at Thunder Ranch ($985 tuition) and I'm a "no credit cry baby?"  Please, the situation, including the fact that its a duty rifle was made clear in my first phone call.

Considering the sheer volume they are supplying to our military, and to those of other nations, its a wonder you didnt have to wait months to see it again.
View Quote

While I would have been annoyed if there was that much delay, I would be better with it if they had said that was the case.  Instead they misrepresented what they could do and screwed up the shipping.  

This whole thing could have been solved had they apologized for a defective product and simply shipped a new scope.  I don't think I have unreasonable expectations for any company I do business with, delivery a product that what you claim and fix the situation if its defective.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You never did mention what exactly was wrong with the Aimpoint. For all I know one of the flipups was bad and you sent it back.......

What was wrong with the sight?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The reported problem with the scope was the switch.  The service guy used a very technical term - "fried."

Here's the response Aimpoint sent in response to my initial complaint.  I thought it was pretty reasonable.

Dear Mr. Hearne,

I do sincerely apologize for the negative feelings you have for our company. More than the inconvenience we have caused you I am truly sorry as you said we do have a great product however, because we were not able to help you in a problem we have failed. I remember speaking with you directly and telling you that we would send the sight to TR. I know this will only sound as an excuse to you but the truth is, more important than having your business, we pride ourselves on our customer service, which was lacking here. Since we moved Aimpoint, Inc., changed management and went to war, our sales have increased so much that we have been in a sever back order situation with complete product and parts. We have seen a increase in our production and continue to work on it, but not in time to treat you in the way you should have been treated. Again please accept our heartfelt apology and let me know if we can make it up to you.

Best regards,

Darla Wilson
Manager Aimpoint, Inc.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Aimpoint (the company) SUCKS.  I jumped through many flaming hoops to become a dealer, and after lies, delayed orders, more lies, partially filled orders, more lies, being double charged for the same order, more lies, having to fax P.O.s (they refuse to take phone orders), more lies, delayed shipments, more lies, I finally had enough and will NEVER sell another Aimpoint product.

Damn shame, 'cause their sights are outstanding.

Same kudos from me for Mid South Tactical Network, they are a class act.  Very fast shipping, nice to deal with, quality products.

(edited to add)

BTW, did you note that the "manager" is a girl?  Excuse me for being a biased MCP, but they don't hire guys to sell lingerie at Sears, and Aimpoint shouldn't have hired a girl to run a tactical optics company.  Flame away if you wish, but you know I'm right.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll flame away.  A female or male makes no difference as to the aspects of running this particular company.  If she knows her stuff than who cares if it's a male or female.  

Her letter was to the point and she did apologize for the problems you experienced with them.  She made no bones about it and was honest as to why.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top