Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:44:46 PM EDT
I've read the older post where one member mounted the Yukon Night Vision Monocular behind his EO Tech.  What would stop someone from mounting a regular non-night vision monocular behind an EO Tech or Aimpoint in a similar fashion to the Aimpoint Magnifier.

I realize two problems would come up first.  One, that most monoculars do not have extended eye relief.  Their eye relief runs around 8mm to 20 mm at most while the Aimpoint Magnifier runs out to 60-65 mm.  Second, that most monoculars may not be able to stand up to the constant recoil we put our AR-15s through.

Anyone care to brainstorm with me?  Has anyone ever tried this, or does anyone know of any monoculars with a long enough eye relief that it would be weapon mountable and usable?

Thanks,

D
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good point the glorified 3x pistol scope aimpoint is putting out is rediculously overpriced.  

And it obviously isn't that rugged as we've allready seen pictures of one with a broken lense from range use.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well not just about other options to the seemingly overpriced Aimpoint magnifier - but some monocular designs would give added flexibility:  5x, 7x, or 10x magnification - you get to choose in many cases, and also some monoculars have variable magnification.

Besides that, like you mentioned, most monoculars are less expensive than the aimpoint magnifer.  

But again, it is about finding or making a recoil resistent monocular with enough enough relief (around 3-4 inches?) that is large enough in diameter to cover an EO Tech window.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend and I were just talking about this.  Please keep us updated if you find anything.

John

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
why not just put a magnified scope behind it.  then you could have 2 zeros.  crosshairs to one, and the eotech to a shorter distance.

brett
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried an 8x tasco monocular behind my aimpoint on my FAL. It lasted 3 shots before it died. You can see the lenses all crooked inside it now. Also had to move my eye back away from the monocular to avoid getting smacked- this of course reduced the field of view as you get that shadow closing in on the center as you move out of the normal eye relief envelope.
Ryan
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top