Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 12:20:23 PM EDT
Had posted this on someone's thread, but did not want to Hijack it.

After reading and posting on a few threads one with the permanent mag.

Please understand that:

a) This is not a primary firearm.

b) I do not want an AOW or SBR

c) It's only purpose is fun

I have other ARs that have detachable magazines, and this is for range use only.

I still have some questions such as:

What constitutes a permanently affixed magazine?

JB weld

A screw that fixes the magazine in place even when depressing the mag release.

A pinned in place mag release that does not move.

It will be nice to be able to unfixed the magazine if the AWB sunsets.

How long can a buffer tube be on a pistol. It will be nice to use one of the RRA entry stocks buffer tubes, buffer and spring. Can this buffer be coveres with a sleeve as in the ACE stock ?

This is a silly question, but what if a person has a shooting jacket that has a polymer pad with a recess that fits the end of the buffer tube and this person rests the pistol ( not designed to be shoulder fired ) on their shoulder.

Also can an AR15 pistol be converted to a rifle as in the many Glock and 1911 conversion kits. ( 16" + barrel + stock + no evil features )

I ask this in case one gets tired of playing with the pistol, as most are just that toys.
It will be nice to use a " conversion kit " A2 stock plus 20" inch upper and also have a target rifle.

Another point is, how many uppers can one have per pistol? Say I have a postban pistol with the fixed mag in place ( NO AW ) Can I just store it in the safe with a couple of preban and a couple of postbans, along with a NICE M2 corp PDW upper :)  

I cut and paste until I got this picture I found on the net to look more or less how it should:

BTW if this picture belongs to you I'll take it down.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:41:19 PM EDT
If what you desire is the look of an AR pistol more than the performance of 223, you can convert the pistol to 22LR.  Then, you don't need the buffer tube.

Have you thought about how you're going to reload it?  Having to remove the upper would get to be a pain.

What constitutes a permanently affixed magazine?
View Quote

According to one thing I read, if you have to use tools, then it is legal.  Removing the spring from the mag catch and substituting a small nut for the mag catch button might be enough, but I would get a second opinion on this before doing it.

Also, when buying the lower, make sure you buy a lower that has paperwork done as a pistol.  If you take a regular rifle lower and convert it, you will end-up with an illegal NFA weapon.  You can put a long barrel and stock on a pistol (so that's a yes to your question of later converting it to a rifle), but you can't put a short barrel and remove the stock from a rifle.z
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:20:26 PM EDT

Yes the receiver will be register as a pistol, thus if the ban is allowed to sunset I can then make the mag removable.

I am not interested in .22 caliber, since it will still limit me to 50oz. I do not want to have to buy a conversion kit plus the moronically expensive 30 rounders that make it fun. I have a lot of " leftover" parts that I will be used in the build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top