Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2003 6:44:55 PM EDT
Okay, you're not allowed to own an AR-15 and M-16 full-auto or burst parts.  That would be breaking NFA rules or something, right?

If you owned a post-ban AR clone, and pre-ban parts (to swap between the '94 ban sunset and next AWB), would that be illegal?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't have M-16 selective parts because they are considered as a machine gun or machine gun parts which are not allowed unless you have appropriate documents.

IMHO, "pre-ban" is refering to the whole configuration of your rifle. A telescope stock, a FH, or a threaded barrel, as long as they are not assembled as a gun, the parts alone are not considered as a gun. I am not a lawyer. The best bet is to consult your local lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
And following this logic, you should not own a preban rifle if you also own a post ban rifle or lower.  Because in seconds, with no tools, you can swap the preban upper to the post ban lower and "manufacture" an illegal assualt weapon.  Constructive intent to violate the law.

And if this is the case, you should be prohibited from owning any guns because in less than a second, with no tools required, you can kill another human being, after all that is what the assualt weapons were designed for.  So the very posession of a gun is constructive intent to commit murder

That said, I do not trust the BATFE to do anything logical or by any written law.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually the ATF wont let you own one fully functioning M16 and one fully functioning AR15 and a full set of M16 spare parts becasue those spare parts are constructive intent to convert the AR15 to an M16.  This is 100% the ATF's call.  Youd win in court but you would not beat the ride.

M16 parts are not illegal even if installed in an AR15 so long as you dont have a rifle that fires more than 1 round per function of the trigger.  You also cant own ALL the parts needed for a conversion to full auto and you cant have an auto sear, LL or DIAS as these are all considered constructive intent or machineguns by the ATF.  You also cant drill a hole for an auto sear.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with DevL, "As long as you don't have a rifle that fires more than one round per function of the trigger."

So whats with the "ALL BATF RULES APPLY" that I see under ads for M16 parts?  A lot of companies come right out and say that they won't sell ANY M16 parts unless one has all the licenses to own NFA rifles.

The reason I ask:  I saw an ad at TAPCO for a "4 POSITION PARTS SET".  It has a really cool fire selector and red template behind it to indicate which position it is in.  NO, I am not looking to convert my M4gery to auto.  

However...Ultimate cool factor!  If I could score just the selector and template, that would be fine also.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
So by that logic I could *hypothetically* own a collapsible stock and keep it in the safe until which time the ban sunsets, and then legally put it on my postban M4?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So by that logic I could *hypothetically* own a collapsible stock and keep it in the safe until which time the ban sunsets, and then legally put it on my postban M4?  
View Quote

Yes. (why would BATFE be looking in your safe anyway?)

CRC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top