Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2007 4:23:10 PM EDT
I got my AR in 03 (should of waited I know).  Its a Pre-ban gun so the front of my barrel doesn't have the threads for a flash suppressor.

Ive seen a type of converter from pre-ban end to threaded end that you can attatch to the end of the barrel for flash suppressors.

Anyone know if they are cheese?  Not sure about the whole idea, some pics and comments would be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, it's not a pre ban. Rather, it's a post ban; or if you prefer. a ban era piece.

Was it my rifle, I'd ether trade it in for a current model; or if you'tre really set on keeping it, I'd have the barrel threaded so I could mount s suppressor as it was intended. It shouldn't cost you more than $25 or so more than you'll spend buying an adapter, and it'll look a whole lot better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
get it threaded, or swap the bbl, or keep it and build a new one.
Nothing wrong with buying one in '03, why wait?
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Get it threaded and slap on a flash supressor.
The whole job should cost you less than $100 including the FS.

You can live without a bayonet lug but if you want one, get a replacement FSB and have the smith install it while the barrel is apart for the lathe.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Where would I get it threaded?  Anyone know exactly how much it will cost?  New uppers are expensive so that idea is out.

There's not like, an AR specialty store where I live. I could take it to a machine shop and give them the thread specs I guess.  Then again I don't have thread specs such as diameter etc.  So I wouldn't know what to tell them.  

I plan on keeping it.  Ive got quite a few attachments on it. I don't plan on building another one.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard thread is 1/2x28 ADCO can do it for $65
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.ar15barrels.com

Randall does excellent work but, he has been having some problems lately.
I'm not sure I would sent him any more work until the current problems are resolved.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=109&t=492845&page=1
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.ar15barrels.com

Randall does excellent work but, he has been having some problems lately.
I'm not sure I would sent him any more work until the current problems are resolved.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=109&t=492845&page=1

I hope he gets everything taken care of.  I've never had work done by him, but he's always seemed helpful in posts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Any decent gunsmith can do it.
I paid $50 and got a free lesson, watching as he worked.
He also timed the threads so I don't need a crush washer.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok.  I did a little looking around.  

If possible, I would like to get it done at a local machine shop.  1/2-28 is all I need to tell them?  I don't fully understand what the 1/2-28 means.  1/2", 28 threads? Please excuse my total lack of knowledge relating to threads.

Just in case the shop worker I speak to is clear, can anyone give me a bit more info?

Diameter, length, whatever the heck 1/2-28 is exactly??

Link Posted: 12/28/2007 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If possible, I would like to get it done at a local machine shop.  1/2-28 is all I need to tell them?  I don't fully understand what the 1/2-28 means.  1/2", 28 threads? Please excuse my total lack of knowledge relating to threads.

Just in case the shop worker I speak to is clear, can anyone give me a bit more info?

Diameter, length, whatever the heck 1/2-28 is exactly??

I wouldn't take it to a machine shop.  The crown may be damaged if done incorrectly.  I would check in the Rocky Mountain State Forum for a local shop.  If that doesn't work out, check with ADCO.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2007 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If possible, I would like to get it done at a local machine shop.  1/2-28 is all I need to tell them?  I don't fully understand what the 1/2-28 means.  1/2", 28 threads?

1/2" 28 threads per inch (tpi)
It's kinda like rifling, it lets you know the rate of the threading.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That makes sense.  What diameter? also 1/2"? THIS looks close to it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#14]
You dont need an FFL to send uppers and bbls around the country...ADCO can thread a bbl from you or those others guys some have posted. I have only experience with ADCO...they can get it done and its not expensive.

Link Posted: 12/29/2007 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#15]
ADCO  !!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I'm pissed.  I have my barrel removed and ready to go and get threaded.  There is a Gun smith here in town that does it all the time.  The only problem is that I baught my gun in 03, meaning its a ban era barrel. Technically I cant get it threaded, and the only option is to have the BATF approve the threading, or to get a muzzle brake welded on.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
If your 'smith told you that, he's wrong. Unless Utah has its own AW ban, there's nothing to prevent you from having it threaded. The federal ban is over. The only reason some guns are still referred to as "pre-ban" is because of state bans. Don't even think of opening a can of worms by contacting ATF for "approval." It's not theirs to give. You really should just take the good advice you've already been given and send it to ADCO. It's just a part, so you don't need to involve an FFL, gunsmith or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Send it to Adco, let Steve take care of it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top