Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:17:24 AM EDT
Questions Answered... Thanks.

Well, I finished up my first build.  Still haven't even gotten to shoot it yet. Shot it today with no failures of any kind.  Accuracy seems to be on par, but hard to tell while it's still breaking in a little.

Thanks,
Gundraw

P.S. Pics to follow.

Mega "Gator" Lower
CMT LPK
CMT 6 Pos. Stock
Denny's Guns "Operator" 1:7 Midlength Barrel
CMT Upper w/M4 Feedramps
ARMS 40
YHM Lightweight Forearm
CMT Enhanced B/BC
Badger Tactical Latch
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First: When installing the barrel, I ended up torquing a LITTLE bit past the gas hole that needed to be lined up.  I loosed and did again.  Is this bad in anyway?  It still felt like plenty of torque on the nut when I did get it lined up... I'd say probably 50ft lbs.  I just used the DPMS wrench and my hand and I was leaning into it a little.

As long as you torqued it more than 30#, you'll be okay.

Second.  When it came to torquing on my FH.  I set my torque wrench at 25ft-lbs.  I tried the peel washer trick and after heating it up and all the layers breaking off in one chunk, I just went back to the crush.  I noticed I made it to the 25ft-lbs click, then had to bump it little by little AFTER that to get it to line up.  Not sure if it exceeded 25ft-lbs by much, (given a crush washer keeps crushing)  didn't feel like more but could have been.  Am I on the threshold of hindering accuracy???  How much torque does it take to make a noticeable impact on the crown?

Specs call for 25-30# or so. I'd say that by going to 25# then bumping it slightly more to index the flash suppressor is about all you can do.

Finally.  When driving in the FSB pins.  I noticed that one pin went in way more the other.  I was using a pretty standard construction hammer on the punch.  I gave both prolly 4 or 5 decent whacks.  Can you really OVER drive taper pins to where it effects accuracy?  Is it natural that one is not seated quite as deep as the other?

As long as they are both tight, it's just a cosmetic issue.

Looks like a fine build, if I may say so myself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You are fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  

It was really a blast putting the thing together.  I took my time and made sure to follow instructions.  But even at that, I made a couple minor boo-boo's on the finish, and learned a few things I'd do differently next time.  However, the finished product and something you did yourself is great!

Those taper pins were really the only thing that gave me a run for my money.  Both getting them out and putting them in.  I just hope I didn't put them in TOO tight.  I was trying to be a accuracy oriented as possible on this build, while still keeping it a nice "duty ready" carbine.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
More pics added...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
very jelous, i was planning on building up my first AR much like that, but ran outta funds.  Plans changes and i had to simplify.  well done sir, well done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet looking shooter you have there!

How do you like the "operator" barrel?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!

I was very pleased with how this turned out.  It was one of those deals I decided if it was worth doing, it was worth doing right.  I ended up spending a little more than I thought I would, but I think there was lots of quality.  I know I got a few things on here that were just fun, certainly not "necessary".

Rkangel777 - I'm especially glad to hear from you as you are the one who turned me onto this barrel.

Haven't had too many rounds downrange... Went through one mag today.  Gonna clean and prolly take er easy for another 100 rnds.

However, so far it seems to be performing just fine.  As I said, I had no failures at the range today.  I stuck the mag in and pulled the trigger, it did the rest till I was dry.

I will say that with that light stock, you notice the extra weight of the "operator".  It's certainly not cumbersome or anything, just noticeable.  However, the barrel was not designed to be a superlight.  I think I will appreciate heavy barrel in the road ahead.

I'm teetering with the idea of a good red-dot sight.  That might be a little ways down the road, I kinda enjoy the irons.  My first AR (this build is my second) was a Varminter, and I had it setup with BUIS, but when the scope went on, it was hard to pull it off and go back.  This one's a little different.

I think I'll have fun.  But boy am I gonna have to watch the ammo fund .

Thanks for looking,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Ooooooh..............I like that, I like that alot!

I need to get a midlength now.......................... shit there goes more money flying out of my pooper. hock.gif
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top