Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2003 8:15:11 AM EDT
i want a 14.5" M4 barrel with a permanent phantom flash hider, but all i see for sale are pre-ban.  if i buy a pre ban barrel, then press and weld a sleeve to make the phantom fH in-operable would i be in compliance for a post-ban weapon?  i think i would be, but want to know your oppinions.  then if the ban sets all i would have to do is take my mill and remove the sleeve.  what do you think?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
advntrjnky, we're a bit confused on "muzzle-brake" and "flash-suppression" issues, aren't we?

Brakes reduce felt recoil and make for faster follow-up shots. Flash hiders, or suppressors, reduce the volume of muzzle flash (unspent or un-burnt powder) visible to a potential advesary.

Firstly, on post ban rifles, barrels CANNOT have any attachment which is considered in the "flash-suppression" category. Only "muzzle-brake" category attachments are allowed.

Second, there is no such critter as a "permanent phantom flash hider", as you stated, this would be IIRC, a "phantom muzzle-brake", (designed for reducing "felt" recoil, not flash-suppression).

Third, post ban rifle barrels are only "allowed" to have threaded barrels, [b]IF THE "muzzle-brake IS PERMANENTLY attached[/b], so trying to work around having the threaded barrel, for easy modification after "BAN" expires, would not be legal. Besides ya still would only have a muzzle-brake, not a flash-suppressor, so you'd not have what ya wanted anyway.

BTW, [b]CMMG[/b], can set ya up w/ a 14.5" M4 barrel w/ the Phantom MB (permanently) installed, off the EE, just call and ask him......

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
nope i'm not confused on the FH/MB issue.  maybe i didn't explain myself well enough.  i am going to take an M4 14.5" barrel with a perm phantom FH making it about 16.1" .  then to modify the FH  i am going to press/weld a sleeve on the inside of the FH to make it inoperable.  it will essentially be a 1.5" Bloop Tube, it just has the outside appearance of a phantom.  it will be only for vanity sake, unless the ban sets then i will mill out the sleeve to make the FH functionl again.  so, what do you think yay or nay?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My apologies, you are correct as "Phantom" is a FS, I still think your gonna have to shave the baynet lug to make barrel a true post-ban, and suggest ya direct this question to the ATF.

Why not just buy what ya want and store it (preferably w/ small padlocks in the take-down and pivot pin holes), away from your other post-ban lowers or buy a preban lower and eliminate all your problems.

As your purpose is and "appears" to be to "circumvent" pre/post ban laws, making it easier to re-covert back to preban come sunsetting of AWB.

I would not expect a favorable reply, as chances are what your asking is prohibited under current AWB rules....

Mike
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
This is about the same thing they do to FAL flash hiders for the G1(a Tapco.com product). It's a regular flash hider but sleeved. I'm not sure if it is then welded in, don't have it in front of me right now. You may have to spot weld it in to make it "legal". But that can easily be broke and cleaned up later on.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
yup, i was planning on shaving the bayo lug also.  thanks for the input guys.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I recall seeing somebody reply about the diameter of the "muzzle device".  I could be wrong but you may want to check up on it if you are worried about the post ban police....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top