Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:28:11 AM EDT
I like the idea of the aimpoint+3x mag because I can flip the mag to the side and use the rear sight.

I like the acog better because it's cheaper than the aimpoint+mag combo, but I don't like that it blocks the rear flip sight.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:32:26 AM EDT
One's gotta flip up, the other needs proper eye relief.

You're gonna get one of the two to work at any given time... not both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:33:22 AM EDT
could you place the rear sight in front of the acog? or would that be silly?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:35:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kzx87:
could you place the rear sight in front of the acog? or would that be silly?

i have seen people do it. looks a little different. if i understand what your asking though, you wont be able to co-witness your BUIS and ACOG, no matter where you place the BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:40:39 AM EDT
Magnified optics don't co-witness.

You will have to remove the optic to shoot irons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:27:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kzx87:
I like the idea of the aimpoint+3x mag because I can flip the mag to the side and use the rear sight.

I like the acog better because it's cheaper than the aimpoint+mag combo, but I don't like that it blocks the rear flip sight.

Thoughts?

Like the others have said, you cannot co-witness with a magnified optic. You will need to remove it. Don't worry, there is VERY little chance that the ACOG will fail and you will need the BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:39:23 AM EDT
One lifts off and the other flips to the side... what is the difference?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:44:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bullitt5172:
Don't worry, there is VERY little chance that the ACOG will fail and you will need the BUIS.
That's exactly why I decided to remove my BUIS to get proper eye relief on my ACOG. My AR is primarily a range gun, so iron sights are simply not required.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:01:23 PM EDT
Marines in Iraq who are issued an ACOG remove the carry handle and stow it in their pack and use the ACOG in combat without a buis. I've learned to "let go" of my fear and run without one as well. I use the LaRue RCO ACOG mount and have mine set pretty far back because I'm not comfirtable with the tip of my nose on the charging handle. I like my nose about 2 finger widths from the charging handle.

With a red dot though, you are introducing a battery into the equation, even if you have a 50,000 hour lifespan with an aimpoint, I still insist on a functioning, dialed-in set of back up iron sights with aimpoints and eotechs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:56:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tweeter:
Magnified optics don't co-witness.

You will have to remove the optic to shoot irons.

This. I don't understand the debate... no matter what the ACOG has to come off to employ the BUIS.
Top Top