Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2006 1:08:55 AM EDT
Is there a product out there that I can permanently attach to my 14.5" barrel to increase its oal that is not a FH? I want to buy a sound suppressor but if I take off my phantom fh and thread the barrel to accept the suppressor it will be a sbr and that is a no-no in washington state. I know about the gemtech bi-lock system that will increase my oal to 16" but it is a proprietary unit and I don't want the m4-96d suppressor that mates with it. Any suggestions other than getting my upper re-barreled?
-Jls7
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
How about a spiffy muzzle brake?

I don't know of an extension that would be threaded on the other end nor be acceptable to mount a suppressor on thread-wise.  An Ops. Inc muzzlebrake my get it out far enough, and mount a suppressor, but it's a proprietory mount as well.  Perhaps the same kind of setup with a Troy?

BTW, While one can own a suppressor in WA, but one can't legally use it (privately).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I would look into something like a Gemtech bi-lock (suppressor attachment/not thread-on).  I'm not sure if it will bring your 14.5 out to 16, but something along those lines sounds more feasable (sp?) than trying to lengthen the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Which can do you want to use?

AAC is going to be making a FH for the M4-2000 that will be legal length on a 14.5.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats great news, the m4-2000 is the one I have been looking at getting.
-jls7
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The M4-2000 uses a proprietory flash hider that does not bring the barrel out to 16".  However, they are or have come out with a new mount that is a phantom type flash hider and suppressor mount combo.  I was under the impression that you didn't want another flash hider or proprietory mount.  I have to ask again, how are you going to use your suppressor in WA?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The M4-2000 uses a proprietory flash hider that does not bring the barrel out to 16".  However, they are or have come out with a new mount that is a phantom type flash hider and suppressor mount combo.  I was under the impression that you didn't want another flash hider or proprietory mount.  I have to ask again, how are you going to use your suppressor in WA?

Verrrrry carfully . No not really, I have a friend that live aBOUT 10 MIN from oregon and i go there frequently.
-jls7
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
ill trade you my 16" M4 barrel for your 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Verrrrry carfully . No not really, I have a friend that live aBOUT 10 MIN from oregon and i go there frequently.
-jls7

Understood, sorry you have to go through that kind of hassle, brother.

You should be pleased with the M4-2000 and the new mount, it's a good can and for Phantom FH lovers the new mount should please.  I just don't know if it will bring a 14.5" out to 16" but I am sure AAC (KevinAAC on the boards) can tell you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanx for the info on the m4-2000, that sounds like a good setup. None of this would have been a problem if the gunsmith that I went to had listened to me in the first place when I said, "dont shorten the barrel, just thread and attach the FH." Oh bother...

-Jls7
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
jls, there are actually 3 versions of the M4-2000 mount

- standard, WILL NOT make a 14.5" legal

- SCARS-D, WILL make a 14.5" legal, also works with KAC M4QD. Not sure if these are available for sale or not?

- Phantom version, WILL make a 14.5" legal, supposed to be released at the Shot Show
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to say that Steve probably has pieces of barrels lying around that he could bore out ever so slightly to get you what you want...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Muzzle flash enhancer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
You could also use an RD Suppressor mount and use a Phantom or Vortex pinned in front of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ill trade you my 16" M4 barrel for your 14.5" barrel.

Depending on brands and conditions, I'd say THIS is your easiest and least expensive option.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Bah, just get a new barrel (or trade).  Sell the old one on the EE.  Either way, the cost is minimal once you factor in the price of the can, plus the tax and associated paperwork.   No need to complicate things.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Have a look at this spiffy new critter.    The price is VERY attractive.
www.silencertests.com/silencer-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1506
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not liking the ratchet system.  It looks fixed, if so it's only a matter of time before the index notches, index bumps, and rear endcap wear down.  Until the can notches seat, it would experience a misaligning force as it approached final index which may or may not cause inappropriate wear on the threads. Depending on the materials used, that may take a long time though.    Perhaps I am missing something.

ETA:  I most certainly was.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd bet it would be on and off thousands of times before it wears out.  If it's going on more than one gun I dont see much issue.   It's a similar system used by other manufacturers and looks to have a lot of meat there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#20]
It's not wearing out totally that I am concerned about, but enough wear until you have to index it to the next notch, when it's in between being too loose for one but really damn tight to the next, increased stress and wear on the threads, etc.  Most systems use a detent such as a bearing or an arm claw that can move so this doesn't occur.  Once the detents on the mount wear down, it won't mount as securely, and you will also be grinding away on the end cap of the can. One or both would eventually have to be replaced and that would be a hassle as opposed to a small part that can be replaced.

This may not be an issue for a long time depending on the materials so it may be acceptable, but it's not the best situation.

Wasted some posting space there going on about nothing but the foot in my mouth.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#21]
It has a flat spring that pushes the notched piece forward.  It's not a fixed plate if that's what you mean.  

You can see the spring a bit better on this photo.   I believe the can sits in a notch and the whole assembly then turns together to seal up on the threads.   I dont believe it ratchets at all.   Could be wrong though, havent seen it in person, just how it appears to work.  From the photo it appears that the rear piece is free to turn(?)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Have a look at this spiffy new critter.    The price is VERY attractive.
www.silencertests.com/silencer-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1506

I apppreciate the infobut the link requires a login that i dont have.
-jls7
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:26:36 AM EDT
[#24]
B-E-A utiful, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I already know  YHM makes a great product and no one can beat this price!!! Thanks for the help 45.
-jls7
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It has a flat spring that pushes the notched piece forward.  It's not a fixed plate if that's what you mean.  
www.silencertests.com/albums/YHM/IMG_0331.sized.jpg

You can see the spring a bit better on this photo.   I believe the can sits in a notch and the whole assembly then turns together to seal up on the threads.   I dont believe it ratchets at all.   Could be wrong though, havent seen it in person, just how it appears to work.  From the photo it appears that the rear piece is free to turn(?)

D'oh!  Well alrighty then!  Thanks Mr45, I didn't get to see the compression rings in the photo I had looked at.  It appeared as though the notched ring was fixed and that just didn't make sense to me.  This makes all my negative comments completely moot.  Now I have a warm fuzzy feeling.  Serious thanks for clearing that up for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top