Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 2:22:02 PM EDT
I was thinking of buying blackened aluminum tubing and attaching it to sten mags with JB weld.  
After cutting to length, notching for mag release, tapering for magwell insertion then JB weld the pieces together.  I dont have any personal experience with how tough JB weld is, but I read that it welds different metals together and that its very strong.  

Any thoughts or feedback?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick to a few spots of MIG or TIG, and use steel tubing, as cannot weld steel to aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the socom mag block for around $60 and dont look back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
....as cannot weld steel to aluminum.
View Quote

I was under the impression that JB weld would overcome that, but I think it's like bondo in that bondo needs something to hold on to when it hardens.  Along with the square hole on the back of the sten mag, I was going to drill a couple of holes in the tube for the JB weld to grab onto and harden.

Warrior23, my SOCOM block has been modified for another project I'm working on.  I pinned it in to another lower and I'm going to install an extended mag catch to use with notched stens.  I'll post the project with pictures when I'm done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the Socom attatch to the mag well?

Bob

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard AR/M16 mag catch retains the block, then you use the lever down below to work the Sten mags.

[url]http://www.socommfg.com/9adapt.htm[/url]

[img]www.socommfg.com/images/9adapt2.jpg[/img]
[img]www.socommfg.com/images/9adapt3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I also recommend the SOCOM block.  However, if you do want this sort of thing you ask to work, do not use JB weld.  I strongly suggest DEVCON Pro-Steel Epoxy.  It is hard and machineable and damn near as strong as a weld.  It is what Scattergun Tech sends with front sights to attach then to Remington Shotgun barrels.  It is also a handy product for autobody work.  Read the directions.  After curing, heat with a heat gun and this stuff is awesome!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I drilled the mag button and tapped it,put in a set screw and now I can't accidentally drop the magblock with the mag.But if I need to take it out its just a matter of removing the setscrew.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I took my $5 CDNN mags to a machine shop, and for $20 ea, they are just like the $65 one OLY sells. Try a local machine shop. I used the Socom setup for awhile, but I like the the factory type mags much better.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top