Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/25/2004 7:45:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 7:12:12 PM EST by StormSurge]
I have bought a bunch of YHM stuff over the past few months and have been pleased with the design, fit and finish of the parts.

A while back I bought two units of Item X for two AR uppers I'm having built; since then I have decided to put together another AR project so I recently ordered another Item X; of couse I thought all three of these parts would match. When I got it, I compared it to the older ones and was surprised to see differances in what should be the same piece.

There were slight changes in the machine work done on the piece, and what looks to be a minor re-design. This did not seem to be more than cosmetic until I measured the parts out; there was a differance of .01", which when considering the nature of the part could cause a problem.

Now, the reason I have not reacted like some on this board have (immediatly calling the company bad names and generally pissing and whining) is that I like to act through established channels first. I e-mailed YHM's tech support a week ago and detailed the problem; no reply yet. How long should I wait for a responce before I ask again, or put up another thread asking if others here have had the same problem?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:53:53 PM EST
I think if in X amount of time you should start to get pissed. If I were you and part X were not the same as my other X parts I would tell everyone about the problems with X. More specifically, if X turned out to be Y or even maybe K.

You should just tell us what you have going on, maybe take a picture or two. Just because you got a product and have questions does not mean you're whining or degrading the manufacturer. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect. If you shared some details I think you would get better feed back, especially if it's a known problem.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:09:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 8:11:21 PM EST by StormSurge]
Fair enough. Item X is YHM-9395, Folding Front Sight/Gas Block. Here is a copy of the E-mail I sent to YHM:

Hi! A few months ago I bought two of your Front Sight Gas Block, #YHM-9395. I was extremely pleased with the design, finish and workmanship of these and recently bought another for a future AR project, though I have not actually installed any on my rifles as of now.

When I compared the new Front Sight Gas Block to the old ones, I noticed several changes in the machine work. Most importantly, the new unit had a lower base but a taller folding sight tower. The new unit is about .01"-.02" shorter from the top of the barrel hole to the tip of the front sight. Is this normal?

That means that when installed the tip of the front sight post will be .01" lower than the first two I bought.

I'm not sure if this is within the normal elevation zero range for the front sight post.

By the way, I had a PRI Folding Front Sight/Gas Block and had to put a taller front sight post on it to get it to zero.

If I get no satisfaction from YHM (I ordered direct); I will just sell the two older ones and buy two more. Nothing wrong with the old ones; I just want them to match, as my new AR uppers are part of an "XM-8" type system of modular uppers.

Edited to add: I will get some pics tomorrow or Friday. The differences are noticable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:42:54 PM EST
If you can notice .01" of a difference, man you got some killer eyes.

I've only had 1 experience with YHM products. It was the large knob EOTECH screw. I managed to break mine, when tigntening it down. Even since that, I avoided YHM products.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:20:36 PM EST
I agree, I recently purchased a thumbscrew replacement screw for the detachable bipod sling stud. the sling stud rattles and is as loose as a goose on my rails. Pretty much worthless for what I intended it for, a biopod. They are a little too inconsistent for my taste.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:04:59 AM EST
If you don't get a reply via Email in what you consider a reasonable amount of time, why not pick up the phone and talk to a real human being? I'm sure Paul T and his folks will take good care of you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:15:04 AM EST
I would also suggest calling.

Many smaller companies can neglect email when they get busy

It is not right...but it is often true

I have always gotten a person when I called...and they have been real good at keeping in contact as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:00:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 4:02:42 AM EST by _DR]
In this day and age many of us use email and the internet like it is the primary method of communication - for many of us it is. But don't forget that to many industries email is still a new and secondary medium. Many industries have been slow to catch on to this as an essential part of online sales, but it does not mean they are all bad.

Give them a call on the phone. If after a couple of calls, you can't get hold of them, then you have a right to bitch. But just after sending email? That is not really fair, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:09:53 AM EST
I've got an older YHM folding sight and noticed that the sight post had to be screwed down pretty far to get the elevation on at 50 yards. This is of no consequence from an operational standpoint but maybe they changed the design to correct for this. The YHM folder is one fine product, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:33:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By _DR:
In this day and age many of us use email and the internet like it is the primary method of communication - for many of us it is. But don't forget that to many industries email is still a new and secondary medium. Many industries have been slow to catch on to this as an essential part of online sales, but it does not mean they are all bad.

Give them a call on the phone. If after a couple of calls, you can't get hold of them, then you have a right to bitch. But just after sending email? That is not really fair, IMHO.

I have found that if you call first, your issue will be taken care of promptly if you speak with someone. Email is not the best means to solve an issue and the call is usually free and if not and you don't want to spend the .25 to call, you can always barrow a friends cell phone
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:07:27 AM EST
Given the experiences I've had with YHM I would recommend installing the sight base and seeing how it works. Their return policy states they will take the item back for no reason what so ever. If the sight is so different from the others that uniformity is not possible then I would deffinately give them a call.

By the way, please post that pic, I'm very curous to see how much different the sights are.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:34:29 AM EST
Everytime I've called YHM I've always gotten to speak with someone who helped me. I really don't know what you consider the problem is but I've was under the impression that a company could make changes to their product anytime they wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:02:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:03:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:24:46 PM EST
I got a response from YHM the very next day after posting this topic. Here is their reply:

Sir, the sight YHM-9395 did have a slight design change, but is still
designed to be capable of co-witnessing any standard A2 rear sight. If you
are disatisfied with the product you can return it for a refund or we can
exchange it for another YHM-9395. YHM-9395 is being redisigned to
incorporate a bayonet lug and sling mount and will be available soon.
Thank you for your purchase and I hope you will consider using our
products in the future.

You have to hand it to them, customer service doesn't get much better.

I did not phone them because I am in California, and by the time I get home from work its too late to call.

It is easy to forget how some of these companies are smaller concerns, and do not have the staff to deal with customer inqiries the same day.

Let no one construe this as a "I'm unhappy so I'm going to badmouth the reputation of a whole company because of one problem". Far from it. I have a bunch of their stuff; with this matter satisfactorily resolved, I plan on more orders, as I believe they provide excellent products at very reasonable prices.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:34:26 PM EST

YHM-9395 is being redisigned to incorporate a bayonet lug and sling mount and will be available soon.

Exactly what I was hoping for.
Storm, thanks for posting this!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:40:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By BrightFlashlights:

Originally Posted By A96HondaAccordEX:
If you can notice .01" of a difference, man you got some killer eyes.

I've only had 1 experience with YHM products. It was the large knob EOTECH screw. I managed to break mine, when tigntening it down. Even since that, I avoided YHM products.

If you want to try another one I'll send it to you free.

Thank you for the offer, but at the time, I'm happy with the allen wrench eotech screw. Very strong and doesnt stick out.
Top Top